2014 Mac mini Wishlist

Comments

• Reply 361 of 1528
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    1 TB Fusion Drive being added to the base model mini as a BTO option? Yes? No?

You have to figure that they'll at least upgrade from a 500 GB HDD to a 1 TB HDD at 5,400 rpm even if the option were not to be added right?

Do they upgrade the SSD options by the time the next one comes out? Maybe a 1 TB Fusion, 256 GB SSD, and 512 GB SSD for the one model and for the server you get two 1 TB HDDs and 2x256 GB SSDs 2x512 GB SSDs are options?
  • Reply 362 of 1528

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

1 TB Fusion Drive being added to the base model mini as a BTO option? Yes? No?

They did it for the current iMac just a few weeks ago. I imagine even this model will get it.

• Reply 363 of 1528
    They did it for the current iMac just a few weeks ago. I imagine even this model will get it.

Do you think they will upgrade to a normal 1 TB HDD standard for the base model or is that asking too much?
  • Reply 364 of 1528

Do you think they will upgrade to a normal 1 TB HDD standard for the base model or is that asking too much?

Oh, in the next model? Depends. I don't know if we'll get Haswell desktops before laptops (we certainly didn't with Ivy Bridge, despite the chips being available first), but looking at the low-end MacBook Pro and the low-end Mac Mini for comparison is a relatively good measure, I guess.

If the Haswell 13" MacBook Pro comes with a 750 by default (note the high end has a 750 now), then I imagine the Mac Mini would get a 750, as well. Then again, neither MacBook Pro size has a 1TB by default, but the Mac Mini does. 

I wouldn't get my hopes up for 1TB, but I a capacity increase isn't totally out of the cards.

• Reply 365 of 1528
    750 GB I could see happening and I think is long overdue. Intel HD 4600 across the board? 512 GB single SSD possibility?
  • Reply 366 of 1528
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

750 GB I could see happening and I think is long overdue. Intel HD 4600 across the board? 512 GB single SSD possibility?

Apple charges a lot on ssds, yet you can find one under $400.

• Reply 367 of 1528

Intel HD 4600 across the board? 512 GB single SSD possibility?

Well, yeah. That's the new iGPU name, right? But an SSD that large would hinge on prices thereof.

• Reply 368 of 1528
    I keep forgetting to add this. I meant do they include a 512 GB SSD as a possible BTO option or do they stay at a max of 256 GB?
  • Reply 369 of 1528
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

On the iMac they really do need to offer better storage options due to the DIY difficulties that machine has.  The main problem though is that Apple needs to get with the program as far as SSD storage goes, it is priced way to high and they are trailing common storage sizes.   

Quote:

I keep forgetting to add this. I meant do they include a 512 GB SSD as a possible BTO option or do they stay at a max of 256 GB?

• Reply 370 of 1528
    wizard69 wrote: »
    On the iMac they really do need to offer better storage options due to the DIY difficulties that machine has.  The main problem though is that Apple needs to get with the program as far as SSD storage goes, it is priced way to high and they are trailing common storage sizes.   

The Fusion drive is probably the future. They probably won't add flash storage smaller than 768 GB although the price will eventually decrease I hope.

I don't think the Mac mini is getting a redesign until Broadwell hits if even then. If they do offer soldered flash storage on the mini and the size is acceptable (512 GB), I may have to go for it. I think they are still going to use plain drives though.
  • Reply 371 of 1528

Fusion Drive is more of an interim solution to the fast storage problem than a long term solution. 

As to a Mac Mini redesign this is something I have mixed feelings on.  The Mini certainly has its niche, but the small case does significantly limit options as far as future innovation goes.   Solid state storage has to move to PCI Express faily quickly for the user community to really benefit from the speed potential.   

Quote:

The Fusion drive is probably the future. They probably won't add flash storage smaller than 768 GB although the price will eventually decrease I hope.

I don't think the Mac mini is getting a redesign until Broadwell hits if even then. If they do offer soldered flash storage on the mini and the size is acceptable (512 GB), I may have to go for it. I think they are still going to use plain drives though.

• Reply 372 of 1528
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I think it is called Haswell you are referring to.Intel will be coming out with soon.

• Reply 373 of 1528
    marvfox wrote: »
    I think it is called Haswell you are referring to. Intel will be coming out with soon. 

Incorrect. I don't think the Mac mini is getting a redesign for 2013. I think if it is going to get a redesign, it will begin in 2014 when Intel releases it's 14nm Broadwell processors. The Mac mini will be the last of Apple computers to receive soldered on flash storage in opinion.
  • Reply 374 of 1528
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

The biggest problem with the Mini right now is the lack of a 20-21" third-party IPS Thunderbolt monitor option. Anyone working on that?

• Reply 375 of 1528
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The biggest problem with the Mini right now is the lack of a 20-21" third-party IPS Thunderbolt monitor option. Anyone working on that?

If they did that it would be a 21.5". Apple always tends to reuse parts whenever. Look at the smaller imac. If they roll out something, expect it to be basically that. They may just not want to to do so. A 21" display is normally extremely cheap. Given that it's Apple they might be able to get away with $600, especially with the extra ports. I think Belkin wanted $300 for a dock, which I still haven't seen available at the retail level. Apple also sells the mini without a mouse or keyboard by default, so it's not really sold strictly for typical PC use.

• Reply 376 of 1528
    I heard the 27" Thunderbolt monitors aren't even that great given their price so they should work on those before introducing another one to the lineup.

Let me get some thoughts from others: Is a redesign possible in 2013?
  • Reply 377 of 1528

I don't know about that.   There is a good argument for coming out with a new Mini this year especially if the Pro gets updated dramatically.    The coming new Mac Pro could redefine how Apple sees the desktop.   If the new Mac Pro goes even higher end then they will have to do something about the midrange.   That could mean a beefed up Mini or a new midrange machine.  

As to soldered in flash Apples doesn't have any machines with soldered in flash so why would they do that to the Mini?    Frankly having upgradable secondary storage is far more important than having upgradable RAM.  

Quote:

Incorrect. I don't think the Mac mini is getting a redesign for 2013. I think if it is going to get a redesign, it will begin in 2014 when Intel releases it's 14nm Broadwell processors. The Mac mini will be the last of Apple computers to receive soldered on flash storage in opinion.

• Reply 378 of 1528

A redesign really depends upon where they go with the Mac Pro.   The Mini is a good machine but it simply isn't a viable midrange solution.    I'd go far as to say the Mini is Apples best desktop for the role it is expected to fill. 

I see two possibilities for the Mac Pro replacement.   One is that they look at the price issue squarely in the face and refactor the Pro into a cheaper machine.   If they do this the Mini can remain as it is for a very long time.    The second possibility for the Mac Pro is that Apple goes all out for the workstation  market leaving even a bigger gulf between the Mini and the Pro.   At that point Apple either beefs up the Mini or introduces a XMac.  

Quote:

I heard the 27" Thunderbolt monitors aren't even that great given their price so they should work on those before introducing another one to the lineup.

Let me get some thoughts from others: Is a redesign possible in 2013?

• Reply 379 of 1528
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

If they did that it would be a 21.5". Apple always tends to reuse parts whenever. Look at the smaller imac. If they roll out something, expect it to be basically that. They may just not want to to do so. A 21" display is normally extremely cheap. Given that it's Apple they might be able to get away with $600, especially with the extra ports.

I know Apple's not going to do a smaller monitor for the Mini. I was really asking if any third-parties have Thunderbolt monitors in the pipeline.

• Reply 380 of 1528
    Let me throw this out there... does anyone see the possibility of a 37W quad-core going into the $599 Mac mini?

I forgot if I mentioned this already. Would you kill off the dual-core and keep only one quad-core and the "server" model? Dare I say drop the regular quad-core by $100?