2014 Mac mini Wishlist

Comments

• Reply 861 of 1528
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Bergermeister  

I found another explanation of your English lesson, and you're right.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

1329536683249_5521957.png 

• Reply 862 of 1528
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Bergermeister  

I found another explanation of your English lesson, and you're right.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit"

1329536683249_5521957.png 

• Reply 863 of 1528

Good find!

I've had that sig for a while but I'm not sure if it is helping.

Had wanted to move on to the difference between "than" and "then" but decided to wait; it could blow some minds (jk, maybe).

• Reply 864 of 1528
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    winter wrote: »
    I should perhaps say that I'd like to think Iris (and especially Iris Pro) will be much better than the 4600, but price will play a role in my decision on whether I pull the trigger.

For most of us price is always a factor. Value comes into the equation too. Sadly I'm really doubting that the Mini will be around in 2014. Something just tells me Apple has something else up its sleeves.

That could be a Mac Pro chassis with scaled down internals or a new box. Of course today that box could be a tube, a torus, a pyramid or something else. The general downturn and then Apples pricing strategy, is having a very negative impact on Apples desktop lineup, so I see them trying to stimulate sales with new models that offer improved value and maybe unique features.

When you have Apples executive team describing the desktop sales environment as very difficult you know they have a problem they can not afford to ignore. That being said Haswell plus Iris in a Mini would be very interesting, possibly compelling.
  • Reply 865 of 1528
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Shape to me doesn't really matter much but price/specs most certainly do.
  • Reply 866 of 1528
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Shape to me doesn't really matter much but price/specs most certainly do.

Sounds like your posting a request in the male seeking male part of the classifieds. I hope you find mister right. :p 

• Reply 867 of 1528
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

For most of us price is always a factor. Value comes into the equation too. Sadly I'm really doubting that the Mini will be around in 2014. Something just tells me Apple has something else up its sleeves.

That could be a Mac Pro chassis with scaled down internals or a new box. Of course today that box could be a tube, a torus, a pyramid or something else. The general downturn and then Apples pricing strategy, is having a very negative impact on Apples desktop lineup, so I see them trying to stimulate sales with new models that offer improved value and maybe unique features.

When you have Apples executive team describing the desktop sales environment as very difficult you know they have a problem they can not afford to ignore. That being said Haswell plus Iris in a Mini would be very interesting, possibly compelling.

Sadly I agree as well, I'm not sure how well the Mini's are selling so this is just a speculation.

• Reply 868 of 1528
    relic wrote: »
    Sounds like your posting a request in the male seeking male part of the classifieds. I hope you find mister right. :p  

Or Miss... : P

Anyway, Haswell i7 ULV, Iris 5100, Flash storage, 8 GB memory. $699.
  • Reply 869 of 1528
    Quote:

Or Miss... : P

Haaay, them are fightin words mister, I've only eaten clams twice. Woopsy's, moderators this woman is being disgusting, please tell her to clean up her act.

• Reply 870 of 1528
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member

The mini sells to businesses at least 2:1 versus consumers. 

It's not the rank and file Joe Six Pack that will complain that the mini is gone it is 

education and business that buy these things by the bushel for dept servers and 

a variety of other uses. 

It's the vertical markets like Savant Systems that use Mac mini to run home automation 

platforms. 

Apple should be finding ways to reduce the cost of the mini. A $499 mini isn't going to cannibalize 

the iMacs.   In the future 64-bit ARM in a mini chassis connected to SSD would be an ideal platform 

for business and hi-tech consumer alike. 

• Reply 871 of 1528
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple should be finding ways to reduce the cost of the mini. A $499 mini isn't going to cannibalize 

the iMacs.   In the future 64-bit ARM in a mini chassis connected to SSD would be an ideal platform 

Yes, yes and yes, I like where your head is at. Apple, honey, dear, I would like an ARM version of the Mini please, nothing too fancy, just what you can find around the shop would do. A7 64-bit, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, OSX, sure that will do just fine, just fine indeed.

• Reply 872 of 1528
    Sadly I agree as well, I'm not sure how well the Mini's are selling so this is just a speculation.

Well we do know what Apples own executives have said on and off this year. So based on the various comments at the quarterly status reports I'm fairly sure Mini sales are hurting right along with the rest of the desktop line up. The real issue is what can Apple do about this.
  • Reply 873 of 1528
    Haaay, them are fightin words mister, I've only eaten clams twice. Woopsy's, moderators this woman is being disgusting, please tell her to clean up her act.

Nothing disgusting about it but it doesn't fit with the thread.
  • Reply 874 of 1528
    hmurchison wrote: »
    The mini sells to businesses at least 2:1 versus consumers. 
    They do show up in unique places.
    It's not the rank and file Joe Six Pack that will complain that the mini is gone it is 
    education and business that buy these things by the bushel for dept servers and 
    a variety of other uses. 
    Apple could do better for that market. I still have a difficult time accepting the Mini as a server. Access to disk drives is critical for those sorts of machines.
    It's the vertical markets like Savant Systems that use Mac mini to run home automation 
    platforms. 

the iMacs.
    There isn't a lot of overlap between an iMac customer and a Mini customer. It is one argument I've rejected repeatedly because iMac in some cases simply doesn't fit the application.
      In the future 64-bit ARM in a mini chassis connected to SSD would be an ideal platform 
    Something you could se coming and at a very reasonable price. For some applications A7 could do the job.
  • Reply 875 of 1528
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Nothing disgusting about it but it doesn't fit with the thread.

Okay, no jokes, let me write this down.

• Reply 876 of 1528
    Yes, yes and yes, I like where your head is at. Apple, honey, dear, I would like an ARM version of the Mini please, nothing too fancy, just what you can find around the shop would do. A7 64-bit, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, OSX, sure that will do just fine, just fine indeed.
    OS/X is an absolute requirement.
  • Reply 877 of 1528
    wizard69 wrote: »
    OS/X is an absolute requirement.

Nah I want Windoze 8.1 :smokey:

But seriously, take advantage of the best stuff available.
  • Reply 878 of 1528
    Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer.
  • Reply 879 of 1528

It was a busy presentation and I kept thinking the mini would come out.

Hopefully soon?

• Reply 880 of 1528
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer.

Considering the similarities between the hardware configurations of the mini and the 13", your chances of iris pro graphics are very high.