Recent third-gen iPad buyers may be able to exchange for newer model

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A number of third-generation iPad owners who recently purchased their device only to find out on Tuesday that their tablet is now obsolete, are reporting that certain Apple Stores are allowing swaps for the new fourth-generation model.

iPad 4

While it is unknown if the policy is active at all Apple Stores, some owners are finding success in swapping out their recently-purchased third-generation iPads for the fourth-generation version announced on Tuesday, reports CNET.

For those locations participating in the exchange, owners must have bought their iPad within the last 30 days. If the unit itself doesn't show serious signs of damage, there is a high likelihood that the store will waive the normal 14-day return policy.

Those owners who purchased a third-generation iPad within the past two weeks have the usual two-week Apple guarantee and should have no problem exchanging the device for the fourth-generation model at any Apple Store.

It should be noted that while AppleInsider confirmed the ability to exchange iPads with local Apple Stores, it is not a nationwide policy and customers need to call before bringing down their tablets for a swap out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Obsolete? Oh please...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Obsolete? Oh please...

My thoughts exactly.

• Reply 3 of 31
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm glad their doing exchanges on recent purchases but obsolete? The 3rd gen iPad is hardly obsolete. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm glad their doing exchanges on recent purchases but obsolete? The 3rd gen iPad is hardly obsolete. image

Did anyone hear if they are keeping  the iPad 2 and/or iPad 3 as discount or education options?

• Reply 5 of 31
    Anything to keep the whiners happy... (rolleyes)
  • Reply 6 of 31

FWIW - this is kinda of a jittery marketing move for Apple in my opinion.

Windows 8 is land sliding in later this week and I *think* Apple marketing doesn't want to

be perceived as selling an "older" product (from last Spring) in time for the holidays.

I mean think about it, there WILL be at least THREE dozen new Windows notebooks, tablets,

and phones out there on top of what Apple and Google/Android has to offer by November 1.

I'm not saying the iPad 3/4 is bad ( like the fan-boys that slam anything not-Apple)...

But this is a REALLY unusual move for Apple to drop another product 6 months after it introduced a new one.

• Reply 7 of 31

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Did anyone hear if they are keeping  the iPad 2 and/or iPad 3 as discount or education options?

iPad 2 is being sold to the public still. 

The iPad 3 is completely discontinued.

• Reply 8 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPad 3 is completely discontinued.

More like rebranded and sold as refurbished for $379 right now. There will be a lot of them, since most people who bought them recently will exchange them for the latest version.

• Reply 9 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

How will Apple differentiate 3 and 4 in the refurb store?

iPad with Retina display (early 2012)

iPad with Retina display (late 2012)

Who's going to buy 'early'???

• Reply 10 of 31
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    It seems that the iPad 2 is becoming to the iPad range what the iPhone 3GS was for a few years to the iPhone range, before finally being retired to Apple heaven!
  • Reply 11 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Anything to keep the whiners happy... (rolleyes)

Actually Apple has done that with major products for as long as I can remember. I even took advantage of it once. I bought a Graphite G3 mini tower and it was delivered with an incorrect optical drive (or something.) When I called in the customers service person gave me the option of upgrading the machine as well as getting the proper optical drive (there had been a significant CPU speed bump that very day.) I was a bit surprised and he pointed out that it is standard policy. It is even written in the fine print of the sales agreement, and still is, I assume.

• Reply 12 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I bought my iPad 3 right when it came out, so I'm obviously not eligible for any exchange, but I don't think I'll be getting the iPad 4, as I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I'll pick up an iPad 5 in Nov 2013.

I am kind of digging the Mini though, I might have to get a few of those.

• Reply 13 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

More like rebranded and sold as refurbished for $379 right now. There will be a lot of them, since most people who bought them recently will exchange them for the latest version.

There will probably not be as many as you think, at least not because of exchanges. Usually they only give exchanges for hardware upgrades to people who have received the "obsoleted" item within 2 weeks of the release of the "new and shiny" item. At least that's what the policy used to be.

• Reply 14 of 31
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They dropped the price of the refurbed iPad 3, so I think that's what you might be referring to.

• Reply 15 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

There will probably not be as many as you think, at least not because of exchanges. Usually they only give exchanges for hardware upgrades to people who have received the "obsoleted" item within 2 weeks of the release of the "new and shiny" item. At least that's what the policy used to be.

Well, check first.......  That's all I'm going to say about that.  You might actually luck out.

• Reply 16 of 31
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    How will Apple differentiate 3 and 4 in the refurb store?

iPad with Retina display (early 2012)
    iPad with Retina display (late 2012)

Who's going to buy 'early'???

The 30 pin/lightning connection.
  • Reply 17 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Windows 8 is land sliding in later this week and I *think* Apple marketing doesn't want to

be perceived as selling an "older" product (from last Spring) in time for the holidays.

I mean think about it, there WILL be at least THREE dozen new Windows notebooks, tablets,

and phones out there on top of what Apple and Google/Android has to offer by November 1.

I'm not saying the iPad 3/4 is bad ( like the fan-boys that slam anything not-Apple)...

But this is a REALLY unusual move for Apple to drop another product 6 months after it introduced a new one.

The iPad 3 was announced about 8 months ago, not 6.  Remember, it's Oct, and these basically start shipping the begining of Nov.  That's more like 8 months, which was sometime I think Apple was mulling over.  Either way, I don't know if these surface tablets are going to compete against the iPad 4 processor/screen.  The surface tablet doesn't have as good of screen resolution and I think this A6X processor is going to be REAL fast.  

Windows 8 isn't going to get the sales they were expecting from the media reports I read, they didn't sell out of their top end models they day they announced pre-orders and they only released a small number to begin with, probably to be able to sell out. Microsoft is REAL shifty from my observation.  Now, the media is discussing that Ballmer might not be around too much longer.  Who the heck would Microsoft get to replace him?   They might have to have hold dance auditions to see if they can get someone to dance as badly as Ballmer to keep up the long standing Microsoft tradition.

• Reply 18 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153701/recent-third-gen-ipad-buyers-may-be-able-to-exchange-for-newer-model#post_2217749"]I bought my iPad 3 right when it came out, so I'm obviously not eligible for any exchange, but I don't think I'll be getting the iPad 4, as I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I'll pick up an iPad 5 in Nov 2013.

I am kind of digging the Mini though, I might have to get a few of those.

Oh right because it's "cute" lol
  • Reply 19 of 31
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Oh right because it's "cute" lol

It is. image

I can see it being a great gift to give to females.image

• Reply 20 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

This is definitely a break from the Jobs era. Where SJ seemed quite comfortable with a yearly release schedule, TC seems to want to keep the sales rolling by staying one (or more) steps ahead of the competition. A few of us on the board had been saying that we wished Apple would step up its release cycle a bit and it seems that that is exactly what has happened.

... but as far as the 3rd Gen iPad being obsolete... har... good one!