Advanced software helps iPad mini ignore unintended touches near bezel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jecaron wrote: »
    I have to decide.. ipad mini $329 or ipad 3 for #379... that's a tough one....

Save your money and invest in this new # currency you speak of ;-)

Nah, seriously, get the iPad 3, it's retina display make it my favourite product I've ever owned in any category. I have it 6 months now and love it just as much as day 1. I'm in love with it. The display is AWESOME!!!
  • Reply 22 of 52
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wrong. What a ridiculous assumption.

Doesn't sound like you're actually a developer. Or certainly not a very good one. You can't even comprehend what the second sentence in the article means.

He's not a dev and as far as I can tell he doesn't even own an iPad.

• Reply 23 of 52
    I need this software feature on my iPhone 5.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Another wrong thing to do. As a developer, now I'd have to make sure I don't have anything actually being used in that space… and only on one model.

Doesn't sound like you're actually a developer. Or certainly not a very good one. You can't even comprehend what the second sentence in the article means.

Notice the conditional "I'd" - a contraction of "I would" - implying that "as" means "if I were". So no, he's not claiming to be one - if he were he would have written "now I'll have to make sure...".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Quote:

Doesn't sound like you're actually a developer. Or certainly not a very good one. You can't even comprehend the second sentence in the article means.

Don't worry he is not. He has no idea what he is talking about as he is purely an Apple troll.

An Apple troll criticizing Apple then? Very strange.

• Reply 25 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Hmm. Another wrong thing to do. As a developer, now I'd have to make sure I don't have anything actually being used in that space… and only on one model.

Perhaps you should set aside your antipathy for the iPad Mini for long enough to read the article you're responding to.

The article specifically says that the OS can tell the difference between a 'real' touch and an incidental touch - so the developer shouldn't have to worry about it.

Now, it is reasonable to ask how well it will work, but ignoring the entire article isn't very useful.
  • Reply 26 of 52

Quote:

I'm quite sure developers shouldn't have to.

I'm quite sure developers won't have to. 

• Reply 27 of 52
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

yeah like double posting multiple android markets

• Reply 28 of 52
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

That's no surprise that they'd come up with something like this, even I thought of this. I don't know if the bezels are touch sensitive to allow this (I doubt it), but touch-sensitive bezels (or entire casing) is the next logical step in the evolution of the platform, so that the device is aware of how it's being hold.

I'm waiting for the day that the tablet has the same slim bezel all around.

_______

|            |

|            |

|            |

|______|

• Reply 29 of 52

You can't even comprehend what the second sentence in the article means.

Let's see. I'm reading it as: "You know that nice little 'tap the side of the screen to flip the page' thing you've always been able to do when reading an eBook? You can't do that anymore. At least, not on the iPad mini." 

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The article specifically says that the OS can tell the difference between a 'real' touch and an incidental touch - so the developer shouldn't have to worry about it.

Is there documentation as to the process by which this decision is made? Seems that they could have easily avoided this problem by having a wider bezel. 

• Reply 30 of 52
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

You can't even comprehend what the second sentence in the article means.

Let's see. I'm reading it as: "You know that nice little 'tap the side of the screen to flip the page' thing you've always been able to do when reading an eBook? You can't do that anymore. At least, not on the iPad mini." 

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is there documentation as to the process by which this decision is made? Seems that they could have easily avoided this problem by having a wider bezel. 

I'll bet you can still turn the pages like that - i.e. it can tell the difference between an edge tap and just touching near the edge incidentally to holding it. Clever if it works.

• Reply 31 of 52

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Clever if it works.

Agreed. Important if, though.

• Reply 32 of 52

Quote:

He's not a developer and as near as I can tell he doesn't even own an iPad.  

• Reply 33 of 52

Quote:

FUD.  For that to happen they would have had to disable all touch events on the side of the screen.  

They clearly do not and instead do the same thing they do for trackpads to avoid spurious inputs.

• Reply 34 of 52

Originally Posted by nht View Post

FUD.  For that to happen they would have had to disable all touch events on the side of the screen.  

Which you know, having used the iPad mini.

They clearly do not and instead do the same thing they do for trackpads to avoid spurious inputs.

Oh, yes, and that works well, since I can't use the designated gesture to bring up Notification Center using my trackpad. I didn't even know there was a gesture until I found it accidentally as I was swiping back and forth normally for my Spaces. When the gesture involves "starting off the trackpad" and doesn't work when you don't, formerly 'spurious' inputs become crucial.

• Reply 35 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'll bet you can still turn the pages like that - i.e. it can tell the difference between an edge tap and just touching near the edge incidentally to holding it. Clever if it works.

Even without it the page turn event happens on lift not touch.  Which he would have known if he had an iPad to TRY IT ON.

For this the simple heuristic is to ignore long taps as spurious and not to animate page turn drag events until a certain distance is reached.  If you have an iPad it's really easy to see this in iBooks.  Put your thumb on the screen edge.  Move it a little and you see it starting the page turn animation based on the slight dragging.  Likewise, put your thumb down on the edge again being careful not to move it to initiate a drag.  Wait a little then pull it off...you get a page turn.

So it's easy to see how to ignore these two error cases.  Delay starting the animation of page curls based on dragging/swiping until a certain distance or speed and ignore very long taps.

• Reply 36 of 52

Quote:

Which you know, having used the iPad mini.

I have an iPad.  Do you?

I'm a dev (mostly android but some iOS).  Are you?

I KNOW because what you describe is a completely insensitive border area to taps.  It will not be insensitive because too many Apple apps would break so what you wrote is clearly wrong and nothing but FUD.

• Reply 37 of 52

I have an iPad.  Do you?

I'm a dev (mostly android but some iOS).  Are you?

Yes, and yes. Hopefully that'll stop your spamming this crap everywhere.

• Reply 38 of 52

Actually, what the OS probably will do is not send UI events until a certain distance is reached or a certain velocity criteria is met.

Meaning your handler for UIPanGestureRecognizer wont fire from spurious thumb events.   Probably it happens on an even lower level where the touchesBegan event is delayed until the heuristics determine it's probably not spurious.

From the app developer point of view nothing needs to be changed although in some cases you may want to shorten your animation to handle any timing delay from the actual start of the event if it looks a little jumpy.  I'm thinking the delay won't be noticeable (in the ms range) and things probably don't need to change at all unless you were triggering off the wrong end of a touch event (begin vs end or vice versa) to begin with.

• Reply 39 of 52

Quote:

Yes, and yes. Hopefully that'll stop your spamming this crap everywhere.

Then why are you so clueless?  Did you not even try to do a tap on iBooks before you wrote your crap?  

Do you not understand the HIG requirements for the apps you write?

• Reply 40 of 52

Did you not even try to do a tap on iBooks before you wrote your crap?  

I don't have an iPad mini. I don't think that any sort of tapping I could do would help answer anything here. image