Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

deleted

• Reply 62 of 75
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stromos View Post

I feel like a complete broken record! The kids/poor mans iPhone is getting old.  The iPod Touch also has a group of people that use it exactly like a smartphone.  I have been doing almost all my personal and some professional email through an iPod Touch for the past four years.   Now I do a good portion of text messaging through iMessage as well. Why would I pay for a dataplan when I pay for home internet and have wifi at work? I love the convenience of the apps on the iPod Touch but I have zero intention of paying a monthly fee to enjoy it. My iPod Touch is almost always on my person right next to my simple Samsung feature phone.  If one battery dies I have the other.  The new iPod Touch has been fantastic already.  The camera takes fantastic quick photos when I need information off the back of a server.  I am not saying my use is typical nor a huge demographic but we are still here.  I could easily afford the data plan I just don't see the point in wasting the money for it.

Haha :D That sounds like me: iPod Touch 5 + Samsung feature phone from 2007 (before they went evil).

Really. This is 2012. Who is making phone calls? I'm using facetime and skype (to non Apple devices).

• Reply 63 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

… erm, I thought Apple was prepping to break into the point & shoot camera market with the iPod Touch? Hence the loop?

The Touch fits nicely in Apple's product line. Small enough to fit in your pocket, big enough to have comfy facetime calls with other Apple devices. If I were Apple I'd make the Touch the flagship of the iPod line up. They somehow need to figure out a way to add GPS to the Touch.

The touch finally received a decent camera and I'm considering one for that reason alone. In Canada cell phone contracts are 3 years long so the only old iPhones available in any great quantity are 3G and 3GS: slow, barely supported by the current OS (or not at all), non-retina display, crap camera, worn out battery. Not very appealing. The touch is much smaller and lighter than an old iPhone and its screen is almost as good as the current iPhone.

The iPad mini was clearly designed to be a lighter iPad rather than a semi-pocketable device like some claim the Nexus 7 is. It's no threat to the iPod touch the way old iPhones are in places with shorter contract periods. 

I still cannot understand why Apple went with a 16:9 screen on the new iPhone and touch. The TV commercial they have showing the range of motion of a thumb makes it abundantly clear that the screen is the wrong shape. If your thumb can reach the top of the current 4" screen then it could reach the right edge of a screen 3/8" wider. I've done the same experiment myself. I can't reach the top of the new 4" screen without a small change in grip, but without any change I could easily reach the edge of a screen 1/4" wider. For my hand the perfect screen size for one handed operation would be 1080x720. Interestingly enough that screen would also be 4" on the diagonal, but at the ratio Apple previously decided was best 3:2.

• Reply 64 of 75
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I would never buy a 600€ phone to my children. A 300€ media player is a lot but more realistic. To compare the Touch and the iPad mini is stupid. Apple didn't introduce colour in this line of iPods just to stop it next year.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    There will always be people who can't afford an iPhone. And why would it gain more functionality? That's why the iPod touch exists.

Nope.

In my family iPad mini is already cannibalizing iPod touch purchases. I would assume it will in other households as well.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    8GB (6ish useable) is insufficient these days, 16GB is a minimum (14ish useable). A video (my HD movies average 2.7GB in size but these are also served to iPads and Apple TV's in 720p) a few albums and a couple of apps (most modern games are 300mb -1GB these days) is all you are going to get on the touch with 8GB. Of course, Apple know this, thats why storage starts at 16GB.
    Good points. I guess I was looking more at women who don't play games or stay-at-homers. But I'm sure plenty would buy an 8gb that shouldn't, and would hurt the experience.
    irnchriz wrote: »
    You are aware that Apple sell the 4th Gen iPod touch for $199 with 16GB or $249 with 32GB

Yes. I'm aware of the over two year old model running an A4 with 256mb ram. I'm also aware of that same product where they feel its ok to charge $50 for the same thing they charge every other line $100. ;)
  • Reply 67 of 75
    I'm seeing $40 for every phone on top of $60. 

Different device, different uses, different market.

You and I were both wrong about the name "iPhone 5" (I still dislike it and consider it the dummying down of Apple to appease bloggers and ignorant customers), and the existence of iPad mini.

Either way, I'd say that Apple is changing as a company, and your rigid outlook as to how people should use the products isn't necessarily so obvious or even known yet. No one has even purchased an iPad mini yet...

As I said in my previous post, my family will be buying iPad minis for my brothers now, not iPod touch.
  • Reply 68 of 75

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

I still dislike it and consider it the dummying down of Apple to appease bloggers and ignorant customers

It absolutely is. Apple themselves have said so.

No one has even purchased an iPad mini yet...

Sure, but people have bought existing 7" tablets, and they don't want them. They want iPads. I'm gonna need something better than "it's going to work because it's Apple" to have my mind changed this time.

• Reply 69 of 75
    It absolutely is. Apple themselves have said so.

Interesting when did they say this?

Sure, but people have bought existing 7" tablets, and they don't want them. They want iPads. I'm gonna need something better than "it's going to work because it's Apple" to have my mind changed this time.

Well, if Apple's conjecture that the extra inch makes it an iPad ends up being true, then I will be pleasantly surprised. All I know is, my family is spending more than they would have on an iPod touch, and my girlfriend wants an iPad mini instead of an iPad now.

My take is that Apple is really taking a small revenue hit now as a gambit to increase revenue long term, as they have learned the value of the halo. In other words, people who were thinking about a 7-inch tablet will go for an iPad mini now, only to later buy other hero products like iPhone, MacBook Air or a bigger iPad.
  • Reply 70 of 75

In other words, people who were thinking about a 7-inch tablet will go for an iPad mini now, only to later buy other hero products like iPhone, MacBook Air or a bigger iPad.

I like your optimism. I just hope the opposite isn't true; they're so turned off by the unusability of a small tablet that they write off the idea of a tablet altogether.

• Reply 71 of 75
    I like your optimism. I just hope the opposite isn't true; they're so turned off by the unusability of a small tablet that they write off the idea of a tablet altogether.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/10/23/forget-education-the-big-play-with-the-ipad-mini-is-video-advertising/

Check out this article. You may have already read it, but I think it's the most (and perhaps only) insightful Apple-related news article I've come across in awhile. What are your thoughts on it?

Also, when did Apple admit to dummying down the product naming scheme, as you mentioned above?
  • Reply 72 of 75

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/10/23/forget-education-the-big-play-with-the-ipad-mini-is-video-advertising/

Check out this article. You may have already read it, but I think it's the most (and perhaps only) insightful Apple-related news article I've come across in awhile. What are your thoughts on it?

An interesting take, and one that, from an advertiser's standpoint, makes decent sense. But I do think they're missing a big point in that Apple doesn't really care about advertisers. Apple isn't Google, whose customers are the advertisers and product is the people. Apple makes for people first, which is why iAd isn't anywhere near the platform it would be if it was meant as anything but an excuse to keep Google away from iOS. If you read the article with the thought that it was written for Google to read and see where they're going so wrong with their platform in this regard, it takes on an entirely different feel, and one that I think is more valid than trying to see the industry from Apple's perspective.

Oh, and that was… I don't know the time; it was in the keynote. Phil showed that Apple considers each handheld device's release to be a new generation, period, which doesn't really say much other than proving my take on that whole issue was correct. Interestingly enough, he also stated, period, that they don't view the Mac lineup in the same way, which shows they're still viewing it the same as they always have. I thought that was pretty cool to see. 

• Reply 73 of 75
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

2. iCloud only works for music that was bought in the apple store.

This is simply not true. Itunes Match will store any music you have in your library (up to the limit of 25000 songs).

• Reply 74 of 75
    No. Some people want a product smaller, thinner and lighter than iPad Mini and iPod Touch is a product for them. I do think that Apple should continue to invest significant resources in iPod Touch.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    maaenmaaen Posts: 6member
    Perhaps I am making my comment a bit late on this subject cycle ..but this is worth considering from every aspect or angle or dimension.
    The ipod touch needs to be made with a six inch screen.a big battery ..a large memory..128gb..wifi a brilliant camera etc.It should be known as a baby Ipad smaller than the mini ipad but because of its size it would become a very pocket friendly or purse friendly device and become a star seller amongst millions of customers all over the world who do not want to be trapped inside a two year contract of a smart phone.If Apple have the guts to bring out.a product like this then they will have an answer to the media player product range with a very long life ....The ipod touch is an amazing little device but there are aspects(limitations) of it that led to the development of the ipad.First came the ipad then came the miniipad...those products are great ...but there definitely needs to be a smaller ipad ...or a much larger ipod touch which will make apple PROUD .The knowhow already exists in the Apple clan but what.Apple really needs is some sensible thinking and some proper marketing creativity.This may sound like a lone voice...but despite the cynics and some knowitalls who possess a lot of it expertise in iT please think this idea through with an open mind and from outside the box and you willnot regret it....Media players are not dead yet and have some more years to live