Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by PB View Post

Many care, outside of the U.S. of course. For example, if I was going to buy it, I would have to find a way of transportation since I don't have a car. This weight reduction comes very handy. You can tell me that in this case, I can order it online. Even so, less weight means a more friendly device for the economy and the environment.

Plus, I don't have a TV in my home. If I was to watch a movie on the iMac, I would have probably to move it occasionally around the house. Again the lighter iMac is much better suited for this.

You must talk about the 21.5" model, since in the 27" one even a small child can add memory.

Well, you seem to have some rather unique requirements for your iMac. I'm not sure how many people carry their computers from room to room to watch TV on it though. So I still don't see the weight and thickness reductions as being things that would matter to most. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it. And the same is especially true when talking about the one time trip of carrying it into your home if it hasn't been shipped to your door.

And no, I'm not talking so much about the 21.5" iMac. On that one, from what I've read, the RAM is nearly impossible for the average person to access. On the 27" model (which I have), the RAM in the new one is apparently harder (though not impossible) to access than on the older one. So that's why I said that it wasn't easily accessible.

They're good machines though. But for my needs, the weight and the thickness wouldn't matter one bit. Being able to easily get to the RAM and having an optical drive would matter much, much more. Especially for business use, I couldn't see myself buying the new one.

• Reply 182 of 194

I recall when the first Macintosh was released.  Everybody went crazy complaining about the included mouse; "why do you want that thingy to do whatever?"  The mouse went on to become standard for all computers.  Then Apple deleted the floppy and lots of people went crazy.  Now they've deleted the optical and people will go crazy.

The pattern here is that Apple will be Apple, their new designs will make some people go crazy, they will sell like crazy and life will go on.

Times change.  Apple likes to be at the forefront.  That means some of their customers will feel squeezed from time to time.  That's how things are.  Think of all the people who have accessories for their now old iPads, etc. when the new Lightening adapter was released.  They're stuck in a tight spot.  

Again, things go on.

• Reply 183 of 194
    I recall when the first Macintosh was released.  Everybody went crazy complaining about the included mouse; "why do you want that thingy to do whatever?"  The mouse went on to become standard for all computers.  Then Apple deleted the floppy and lots of people went crazy.  Now they've deleted the optical and people will go crazy.

The pattern here is that Apple will be Apple, their new designs will make some people go crazy, they will sell like crazy and life will go on.

Times change.  Apple likes to be at the forefront.  That means some of their customers will feel squeezed from time to time.  That's how things are.  Think of all the people who have accessories for their now old iPads, etc. when the new Lightening adapter was released.  They're stuck in a tight spot.  

Again, things go on.

Like, FireWire, U mean?
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/92061/jobs-responds-to-outrage-over-macbooks-missing-firewire
  • Reply 184 of 194

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Think of all the people who have accessories for their now old iPads, etc. when the new Lightening adapter was released.  They're stuck in a tight spot.  

I'm bugged by how few accessories that use it are out.

I mean, do these companies NOT want to make money? It's the frigging holiday season. GET YOUR PRODUCTS OUT.

• Reply 185 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm bugged by how few accessories that use it are out.

I mean, do these companies NOT want to make money? It's the frigging holiday season. GET YOUR PRODUCTS OUT.

Very true.

Same for Thunderbolt. 

• Reply 186 of 194
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Very true.

Same for Thunderbolt. 

I think CES 2013 could be an indicator of the health of Thunderbolt. If we see a fair number of Thunderbolt products for both Mac OS and Windows it could mean that it's ramping up but we need to remember it's only been out of contract with Apple for less than a year now and Windows-based machines that would require a Thunderbolt connector don't typically sell in quantity the way Macs do. There is simply no reason for a $400 PC to have Thunderbolt. It doesn't mean it won't be the de facto but it's still in its infancy.
  • Reply 187 of 194
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think CES 2013 could be an indicator of the health of Thunderbolt. If we see a fair number of Thunderbolt products for both Mac OS and Windows it could mean that it's ramping up but we need to remember it's only been out of contract with Apple for less than a year now and Windows-based machines that would require a Thunderbolt connector don't typically sell in quantity the way Macs do. There is simply no reason for a $400 PC to have Thunderbolt. It doesn't mean it won't be the de facto but it's still in its infancy.

I expect better support than what we're seeing though. There's probably 10+ million Macs with Thunderbolt, so while it's small subset of the PC market, that's still a largely untapped and premium market relative to how half-hearted these peripheral companies are taking it.
  • Reply 188 of 194

With the newest docks coming out TB might not move that fast.

http://www.matrox.com/docking_station/en/ds1/

http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U055-Belkin/p/P-F4U055

That said, I have two TB external HD's and they are tons faster than FW800.  I would never dream of going back to USB, USB3 or FW800.  Hopefully, lots of people catch on and demand more products.

• Reply 189 of 194
    With the newest docks coming out TB might not move that fast.

http://www.matrox.com/docking_station/en/ds1/

http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U055-Belkin/p/P-F4U055

That said, I have two TB external HD's and they are tons faster than FW800.  I would never dream of going back to USB, USB3 or FW800.  Hopefully, lots of people catch on and demand more products.

Are you using SSD or RAID on your Thunderbolt? I wanted to buy a TB drive but I didn't see the point in spending a lot more for no benefit.
  • Reply 190 of 194

Both are set up as RAIDs.

WD 6TB dual drives.

Can transfer files in half the time compared to FW800, which adds up over a week/month/year.  These are "green" so they aren't as fast as they could be.  I'm pretty happy, though.  They can also be a little noisy but that will be taken care of next week with a new shelf (the one they're on now is thin and tinny sounding as it sits on a wire rack).  Too bad the cable is only 2 meters.

The drives don't power down, though, and there is no power switch, so I have them on a switched extension cord.

The new VeliciRaptor drives look real fast.

• Reply 191 of 194

I am a multimedia student.  I use USB drives for most backups, but when backing up important files that I don't want corrupted by viruses, I prefer to use single write DVDs.  When handing up large video assignments one uses DVDs.  This is a requirement of TAFE.

I use CDs.  Our family has a large library of CDs and vinyls.  A lot of the music our family owns is not available in iTunes.  When one purchases electronic goods, one rents, rather than owns the music.  One cannot give such music to other family members.  If one owns a CD, owns the music and can give that to someone else, if one choses to do so.  Purchased CDs are safe from viral attack.

While I appreciate that an external drive has advantages, e.g. if the drive fails one can replace it, without having to send the entire computer to the repair shop.  I do like the simplicity of using a single device rather than cluttering up the desk with a variety of peripherals.  In my experience the internal DVD drive has never failed and our current iMac is over six years old.

If Apple want to take out the DVD drive then one would hope they would increase the number of USB slots, but I don't find this to be the case. As a multimedia student I use 2TB drives (for large video files), I can't always operate these drives when they are plugged into USB hubs and often have to insert them directly into the computer drive.  This makes backups a trial as there are not enough slots to insert the backup drives.

I tried using a bluetooth keyboard for a number of years, but the batteries had to be replaced nearly every month - I kept a record for well over a year.  One month I had to replace the batteries twice.  The Windows machine that sat next to the iMac only required battery changes every six months.  Not a good advertisement for Apple bluetooth keyboards.  In frustration I purchased a new bluetooth keyboard, but the battery usage did not improve.  Finally, I purchased a standard USB keyboard and mouse.  This unfortunately blocks one of the USB slots.

I use a range of Adobe software including Encore.  This generates DVDs as an output.  Sending the output to an external drive is slower and could cause the output to fail.  

While I appreciate the appearance of the thinner iMac, I would prefer to have an internal DVD drive.  The slightly fatter machine adds nothing to the footprint but increases the reliability of the DVD drive.

Mary Burnadette

• Reply 192 of 194
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mary Burnadette View Post

When one purchases electronic goods, one rents, rather than owns the music.

Mmm… no. If you have the file locally you own it just as much as you own a CD. That’s why we keep all of our libraries local.

One cannot give such music to other family members. If one owns a CD, owns the music and can give that to someone else, if one choses to do so.

You can’t legally do that with a CD, anyway.

Purchased CDs are safe from viral attack.

You have a Mac. You’re safe from viruses in the first place. Your purchases in iTunes can’t be “deleted” by any means, so any form of malware couldn’t do anything to your cloud content at all.

As a multimedia student I use 2TB drives (for large video files), I can't always operate these drives when they are plugged into USB hubs and often have to insert them directly into the computer drive.

You just need a powered hub, or one that can handle the higher voltage that Apple’s USB ports can output!

USB is a stupid, fickle thing.

I tried using a bluetooth keyboard for a number of years, but the batteries had to be replaced nearly every month

The Apple keyboard or some other one? Get the Apple keyboard and their rechargeable battery set. It’s a great combination.

Not a good advertisement for Apple bluetooth keyboards.

Oh, you did. That’s nonstandard behavior.

…and could cause the output to fail.  

Sounds like Adobe’s problem.

• Reply 193 of 194
    Yeah, copyright law doesn't allow you share copies of a CDs or share rips of a CD legally. Even though it's illegal to share iTunes audio tracks to other people, it's easy to do because they aren't encrypted anymore, they haven't been for years.

I find I need an external hub no matter how many internal USB ports are available. I don't remember a drive having trouble unless it's bus powered on an unpowered or underpowered hub. I go as direct as I can, but drives can run on a hub.

I have an external optical drive that runs faster than what's built into a 2011 iMac. It's not even one of the big desktop based monster drives, just a portable external.
  • Reply 194 of 194
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Burnadette View Post

I am a multimedia student.  I use USB drives for most backups, but when backing up important files that I don't want corrupted by viruses, I prefer to use single write DVDs.  

Unless you're using archival quality DVDs the shelf life of that backup may be as short as 2-5 years.

"CD/DVD experiential life expectancy is 2 to 5 years even though published life expectancies are often cited as 10 years, 25 years, or longer. However, a variety of factors discussed in the sources cited in FAQ 15, below, may result in a much shorter life span for CDs/DVDs. Life expectancies are statistically based; any specific medium may experience a critical failure before its life expectancy is reached. Additionally, the quality of your storage environment may increase or decrease the life expectancy of the media. We recommend testing your media at least every two years to assure your records are still readable."

http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/initiatives/temp-opmedia-faq.html

That said, the recommendation is to refresh your digital archives every 5 years anyway.

Quote:

When handing up large video assignments one uses DVDs.  This is a requirement of TAFE. 

A multimedia student should be aware that the 1080p workflow is now pretty standard and that "large video assignments" won't fit on a DVD unless your definition of "large" isn't.

Quote:

While I appreciate that an external drive has advantages, e.g. if the drive fails one can replace it, without having to send the entire computer to the repair shop.  I do like the simplicity of using a single device rather than cluttering up the desk with a variety of peripherals.  In my experience the internal DVD drive has never failed and our current iMac is over six years old.

The internal drive is abysmally slow in comparison to external drives and won't burn blu-ray.  If I had to burn discs on a regular basis I'd get a quality external blu-ray burner.

Quote:

If Apple want to take out the DVD drive then one would hope they would increase the number of USB slots, but I don't find this to be the case. As a multimedia student I use 2TB drives (for large video files), I can't always operate these drives when they are plugged into USB hubs and often have to insert them directly into the computer drive.  This makes backups a trial as there are not enough slots to insert the backup drives.

The problem with the iMac isn't that there aren't enough USB ports but that they are located behind the effing screen.  Which is just dandy if you don't plug stuff into them on a regular basis but a royal pain in the arse if you do.  That SDXC slot is nearly effing useless as well if your desk (and iMac) is against a wall.

There are 4 USB 3 ports on the back of the iMac.  How many do you need anyway?  If you need to plug in 5 external USB drives at one time you're doing it wrong.

Quote:

I tried using a bluetooth keyboard for a number of years, but the batteries had to be replaced nearly every month - I kept a record for well over a year.  One month I had to replace the batteries twice.  The Windows machine that sat next to the iMac only required battery changes every six months.  Not a good advertisement for Apple bluetooth keyboards.  In frustration I purchased a new bluetooth keyboard, but the battery usage did not improve.  Finally, I purchased a standard USB keyboard and mouse.  This unfortunately blocks one of the USB slots.

I use the logitech K760 that is solar powered.  In my Apple keyboard I used eneloops and didn't worry about it and I didn't replace the battery every month either.

Quote:

I use a range of Adobe software including Encore.  This generates DVDs as an output.  Sending the output to an external drive is slower and could cause the output to fail.  

First, Adobe products in general have stupid issues with external drives that have little to do with the external drives and a lot more with Adobe.  Encore, Premiere, etc all seem to suck because they query at the OS level and not at the hardware level.

Second Encore can write ISOs.  Folks that uses Encore a lot will write to ISO and burn later because Encore is not reliable in generating media everyone can read even when it works.  imgburn is one of the more common burning apps used.  

You should author to iso anyway because even if Encore didn't suck at burning bad media still occurs and you can always toss an iso on a usb stick if you have to.  Double clicking on it should mount it in OSX and you can play it in a pinch.

Third, I have found that external drives work better.  At least decent external drives.