Apple slims down iMac 40% with 'friction-stir welding' & ditching the disc drive

Comments

• Reply 121 of 194

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't there Apple software to share a computer's drive with other computers on a network? That feature was introduced with the MacBook Air.

I doubt a typical user needs an optical drive so much that they need one in every computer.

Go one step further!

802.11ac AirPort family. The AirPort Extreme gets two USB ports and Time Capsule keeps just one. The Apple SuperDrive can be plugged into either of them and operate as a network ODD for the <1% of people who need it. The second one is for a hard drive for backups, like now. Or, you know a hard drive for NETWORK ATTACHED ITUNES STORA… Sorry, got carried away.

• Reply 122 of 194
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Isn't there Apple software to share a computer's drive with other computers on a network? That feature was introduced with the MacBook Air.

I doubt a typical user needs an optical drive so much that they need one in every computer.

No special software required, just OSX machines on the same network. I've never used it, but did see my MP ODD on my MacMini. And I fully agree that a typical user doesn't need it anymore, nee in a computer, nee in any computer.

@TS: don't b sorry, I agree, that would be great!
  • Reply 123 of 194
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple 2 View Post

It's pretty obvious why the bottom model doesn't come with SSD standard though, as you're correct, a small sized SSD is not nearly enough for a desktop machine. 

When I can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for $169 I'm thinking that's not really true.  256GB isn't something to store lots of media on but for a system disk it's more than fine.  I'm running a 128GB SSD on my MBP and storing my media on a RAID.  Those are down to $100 for the Crucial M4.  Those are both solid SSDs with high reliability and solid performance.

/shrug

If the new iMac 21" can be opened and RAM and HDD replaced then I'll buy that.

• Reply 124 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Stop the hyperbole.

To state the truth is not hyperbole. 

There are MANY DVDs and CDs that are still in use - just see the number of Redboxes in the country.  If I'm going to buy a movie or music, it will be on DVD.  I can use that drive to burn the DVD to play on my AppleTV, or to move songs off the CDs.  There are MANY people who have been around a long time that prefer to buy their media on physical discs, vs just downloading them.  Also, we create DVDs for family every year to show them what has been going on, in an entertaining way, with their grandson over the year.  We don't live close to them, so it's a nice way to catch them up. Sometimes we do it multiple times a year.  I believe there are a lot more people who do these kinds of activities than the naysayers would like to believe.

In many ways, removing a physical drive from a desktop makes it just a beefed up iPad on a stand.   I want and expect a little more from my desktop computer.

• Reply 125 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Everything you said the iMac should have are reasons why you are not the target customer. Of course this is a consumer machine. It's the iMac. It always has been and everything to it always being geared toward the average user who doesn't use CDs and doesn't ever service their 'PC's' HDD, RAM, GPU, etc.

So you are saying the target customer is one who will replace their computer every 2 or 3 years because they don't have enough RAM or storage space anymore?  That seems really dumb and shortsighted, especially since Macs have typically been useful FAR longer than any other type of computer.  I had PowerMac 6100 for 10 years - simply b/c I was able to upgrade the RAM, HDD, and processor (to a G3) several times.  I've had an eMac for 8 years now and an iMac for 7 - all because I was able to put more RAM into them and keep them working.

The problem with your argument is that it is ALL Apple will offer.  I have no other choice but a Mac Pro (for the desk) - which is WAY more than I would need.  The performance capability is the iMac is plenty, but the silly form over function design (all connections on the back, slimness for slimness sake - at the removal/repositioning of component and connectors) hurts users like me who want their computer to be a little more user friendly.

• Reply 126 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Way to go to make your point by hurling insults.  Pretty much invalidates anything you said.

This is the reality. ...What Solips said is true.  I'm not EVEN going to waste my time to google for you the direction that PC-tech is going.  CD-tech is dead.  A cheap USB stick holds a heck of a lot more than a CD does. Technology is not going to be put on hold because you have to have an aging, mechanical device in your computer.  Sorry to be the one to have to tell you that.

Your comment about USB sticks points out another huge problem with the current iMac design solution - all of the USB ports are on the BACK of the machine.  It is MUCH easier to slip my DVD into the side of my machine than to get up, turn the machine 1/2 way around, find the USB port, stick something in it, turn my machine back around so I can use it (and the USB drive I just inserted), turn it back around when I am done, take the USB stick back out, and finally turn my machine back around.

That's a REAL smart way to work.

• Reply 127 of 194

Originally Posted by ericole View Post

And if you were stating the truth… See the point I'm trying to make? People don't use CDs like they did last decade.

There are MANY DVDs and CDs that are still in use - just see the number of Redboxes in the country.

Does Apple run Redbox? I fail to see why they should care otherwise. One less way to pirate movies for a dollar each by removing ODDs from Apple computers. If people actually used them as you claim, the MacBook Air wouldn't be a success. The Mac Mini wouldn't have been able to drop the drive, either. We would have had backlash at some point in these last three years. Turns out, people gobble them up. 

If I'm going to buy a movie or music, it will be on DVD.  I can use that drive to burn the DVD to play on my AppleTV, or to move songs off the CDs.  There are MANY people who have been around a long time that prefer to buy their media on physical discs, vs just downloading them.

I used to be like that! Then Apple offered unlimited redownloads and I got over it. What I'm still against is NOT having a copy of my media locally, and I'll always be against that.

Also, we create DVDs for family every year to show them what has been going on, in an entertaining way, with their grandson over the year.  We don't live close to them, so it's a nice way to catch them up.

So do you mail these DVDs out there? Or do you take them when you visit? Because you can take an Apple TV when you visit.

In many ways, removing a physical drive from a desktop makes it just a beefed up iPad on a stand.

Other than the processor, the RAM, the GPU, the storage media, the means of input, the ports, the fans, the entire UX… 

But yeah, that's what they're after. The next iMac redesign will probably be multitouch, with software designed specifically for that to boot. No moving parts in a computer is the future. Embrace it or be left behind.

• Reply 128 of 194
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ericole wrote: »

There are MANY DVDs and CDs that are still in use - just see the number of Redboxes in the country.

Those Redboxes don't mean there are a lot of folks are watching movies on their computers. TV ? computer.

CD sales are in the minority now.
  • Reply 129 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I agree with Bruce. Those of you excoriating users who want / need DVD burners, etc, need to step away from your myopic perspective. Anyone working in commercial graphics / video production receives hundreds of DVDs with source material. You possibly heard of "graphic design"? The original market that saved Apple from itself?

There is a place for permanent non-modifiable data storage. It's call an archive. Keychains USBs and external drives are indeed available for data transfer, but those are modifiable, non-permanent and can transmit trojans and viruses (see STUXNET). If nothing else, once burned, viruses cannot infect or destroy DVD data - not so with USB keychains, external HDs, networked storage. Finally, the "pre-post-PC world" still uses DVDs and even CDs from time to time, afaiac, viva la difference and the more options, the better.

To those whining "Adobe is a dinosaur... MS is a dinosaur" - get real. If Adobe pulled their software from Mac OS X, goodbye 20% of current marketshare. MS, same. So you don't use Photoshop or Word - lucky you. In the real world, these are the apps that get work done in corporations and justify purchase of more expensive iStuff. They're called "standards" - have you heard of them?

Lack of simple serviceability is a real value issue. If GM suddenly said "only our authorized service nerds can open the hood of your car" what would happen to GM sales?

"Normal people don't work on their computers" - ok fine, but when I can buy DIMMs, SSDs, 7200RPM HDs, etc etc etc from 3rd parties for a fraction of Apple pre-installed prices, with better performance, why shouldn't I? Oh, because in the name of "engineering" Apple has decided to lock down hardware that you paid for and own.

Finally, I only post to Apple Insider very infrequently because the cloying fanboyism here negates any possibility of serious intelligent dialog. You know, dialog, where one party says something, and another respectfully agrees or disagrees while offering logical arguments for or against.

Most of you think your way is the only way. It is infinitely annoying when you folks judge how people use their machines with comments like "why aren't you using BluRay", "normal people don't service their own stuff", "digital distribution is the post-pc future", "Microsoft is a dinosaur", "Adobe - what do you expect" (or generalizations to that effect) when your sense of legacy and history doesn't extend beyond the smartphone era.

When Apple was the underdog, Apple users always were courteous to each other, if not Windows users. I don't recognize this level of "discourse" here in AI forums, precisely because it isn't discourse - it's high school grade fanboyism at its worst.

Note that there were no character attacks in my post. I've been doing IT since it was called DP.  (Amazing the similarities between IBM System/370 & 327x, and web servers/browsers - but - what would most of you know about that?)

Those that don't remember the past think they've discovered something new, when in fact, there's nothing new under the sun.. 

But, I'm a dinosaur, WTF do I know, right? I've used Macs longer than most of you have been alive. So, flame on. Send back the rover, no apparent intelligence here...

This covers it all.  Just because YOU don't use your computer this way does not mean that a lot still od and will continue.  That bascially means that the only viable iMac upgrade for us would be the current model to be replaced by these new machines - since it is much more user-servicable and usable based on hardware and port (at least some) placement.

• Reply 130 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And to anybody whining about the lack of an optical drive, wake up people, it's not 1999 anymore. Apple should have dropped it years ago. If you are one of the 53 people on planet earth who still uses an optical drive, then just go and buy an external drive. I hear that they're rather affordable. Don't be selfish and demand that Apple include an obsolete feature that the vast majority of users do not wish for, do not need, and will not use.

So they took out that obsolete feature that most of you don't need - and how much did they shave off the price for you?  That would seem like a fair trade, right?

• Reply 131 of 194

Quote:

I don't have any abuse to dish out towards you. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

But just know one thing, while your opinion isn't exactly incorrect, it is an opinion afterall, I will say that your personal view represents a tiny minority of users. You still use DVD's and buy CD's? Good for you, but most people don't.

Apple should build machines for the 99%, not the 1%, and you sir, are a statistical outlier, an extremist.

Proof of that statement that we are in a tiny minority?  People commenting on here would seem to make that statement incorrect.

• Reply 132 of 194

Quote:

And if you can't even be bothered to go and purchase a cheap external drive just proves that this iMac is obviously not made for you. Either use what you already have, or just go and buy something else.

Here's the main concern.  We are Mac users - don't want to be anything else.  But if our choice comes down to an iMac that doesn't fit our needs and a Mac Pro that is way overkill (and over price), we are stuck in a bad situation.  That's the rub.  Optical media (and the placement of useful ports) is a big thing to a lot of people today.  We are simply NOT in a "cloud" world yet, and won't be there for quite some time.  Maybe with iDevices, but not with desktop computers.

• Reply 133 of 194

Proof of that statement that we are in a tiny minority?

Proof that you aren't, please. The whiners always outweigh the people who don't waste their time saying they don't have any problems.

Optical media (and the placement of useful ports) is a big thing to a lot of people today.

And again, no, it isn't.

• Reply 134 of 194

Quote:

And if you were stating the truth… See the point I'm trying to make? People don't use CDs like they did last decade.

Does Apple run Redbox? I fail to see why they should care otherwise. One less way to pirate movies for a dollar each by removing ODDs from Apple computers. If people actually used them as you claim, the MacBook Air wouldn't be a success. The Mac Mini wouldn't have been able to drop the drive, either. We would have had backlash at some point in these last three years. Turns out, people gobble them up. 

I used to be like that! Then Apple offered unlimited redownloads and I got over it. What I'm still against is NOT having a copy of my media locally, and I'll always be against that.

So do you mail these DVDs out there? Or do you take them when you visit? Because you can take an Apple TV when you visit.

Other than the processor, the RAM, the GPU, the storage media, the means of input, the ports, the fans, the entire UX… 

But yeah, that's what they're after. The next iMac redesign will probably be multitouch, with software designed specifically for that to boot. No moving parts in a computer is the future. Embrace it or be left behind.

I didn't suggest Apple did run Redbox, but that prooves that DVDs are out there in force.  Didn't suggest people use them to make illegal copies.  The smallest of these new machines has a larger monitor than the first TV I had, for about 10 years!  So it is just fine to watch a movie on - especially if you don't want to fork out tons of money for a TV.  We don't pay for cable or any other pay service, just have an antenna.  Many times I just watch Hulu things right on the computer.  Same works for DVDs at times.

People may not use CD like they did the last decade, but they still have a LOT of life left in them.

Apple offering unlimited downloads is fine, if you get your media from them and not on an optical disc.

We don't go, we mail.

And as one other person pointed out, the US is not like some other places where every citizen has all the time access to super-fast internet.

like I said, beefed up iPad.

• Reply 135 of 194

…that proves that DVDs are out there in force.

The closing or bankrupting of most, if not all, video rental stores, laying of of their employees, and replacement with automated vending machines offering discs at ludicrously bargain bin prices "proves DVDs are out in force". Uh… huh… 

Didn't suggest people use them to make illegal copies.

Didn't suggest you suggested it, nor that Apple owned Redbox.

The smallest of these new machines has a larger monitor than the first TV I had, for about 10 years!  So it is just fine to watch a movie on…

Wait, you stand there in the rain and watch the movie trailers over and over? Context!

…especially if you don't want to fork out tons of money for a TV.

Now, I was joking before but is that REALLY what you mean?! Because from what you've written here, it's the conclusion I'm drawing. You can get a TV and a Blu-ray player for far less than a Mac.

People may not use CD like they did the last decade, but they still have a LOT of life left in them.

Not if Apple kills them off, they don't.

like I said, beefed up iPad.

And I'm stating that you're completely wrong. Sorry you missed that.

• Reply 136 of 194
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Not all of them, but they are. 

I was expecting that, I guess 99% of people must just use the iMac for FaceBook, emails and posting their thoughts as facts on forums.

Personally I do use optical media and all of the people at my work (who copied me when I bought an iMac and raved about it) all said they wouldn't consider an iMac without the built in drive.

The iMac is uncluttered and pleasing to the eye but it is also quite expensive. Therefore few people want to have an external and have to pay for it too just because some future visionaries (let's call them work shy FaceBook users) don't ever use theirs.

I don't disagree that optical drives should be phased out, just not yet on the iMac, there is no point apart from cost cutting by Apple.

The depth of the iMac can only really be measured between the furthest points front to back. In all cases this is the stand so in fact, the 2004 iMac is still the thinnest as the stand wasn't as deep.

Sticking with the 24" iMac as the new one isn't designed for people who actually do any physical work. I will consider a Cinema display and mac mini in the future as you can get hangers to hang everything neatly on the back of the screen.

• Reply 137 of 194

THIS!

Hence why there are now 4 USB slots in the back of the iMac.

I do not, however, understand all of the people complaining about losing FW 800. It's stupidly slow in comparison to USB 3.0, and FW 800 really isn't all that different from USB 2.0. USB 3.0 drives are actually pretty affordable. Anyone who bought a HD with only FW is a moron, and if you were really serious about editing, you were using an ESATA and a MacPro. USB 3.0 will serve quite well until Thunderbolt becomes affordable. 

AND we all know Apple to be relentless in the pursuit of new tech. Killing FW 800 has been a long time coming (along with the OD). No one can really feign surprise on this one. We saw it from a mile away. 

• Reply 138 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I was expecting that, I guess 99% of people must just use the iMac for FaceBook, emails and posting their thoughts as facts on forums.

Personally I do use optical media and all of the people at my work (who copied me when I bought an iMac and raved about it) all said they wouldn't consider an iMac without the built in drive.

The iMac is uncluttered and pleasing to the eye but it is also quite expensive. Therefore few people want to have an external and have to pay for it too just because some future visionaries (let's call them work shy FaceBook users) don't ever use theirs.

I don't disagree that optical drives should be phased out, just not yet on the iMac, there is no point apart from cost cutting by Apple.

The depth of the iMac can only really be measured between the furthest points front to back. In all cases this is the stand so in fact, the 2004 iMac is still the thinnest as the stand wasn't as deep.

Sticking with the 24" iMac as the new one isn't designed for people who actually do any physical work. I will consider a Cinema display and mac mini in the future as you can get hangers to hang everything neatly on the back of the screen.

So you're upset that the iMac doesn't have a crummy, slow vertical disk drive, and are therefore going to buy a mini which also lacks an OD? Right...

I'm a film editor, and quite aware of the usefulness of an OD, but give it a year. H265, cloud storage, and cheaper portable drives will make an OD completely obsolete. 

• Reply 139 of 194
    Agree hillstone, im buying the cheaper superseded version as i have learnt lately with apple. Eg ipad 3 to ipad 4.... The pad that should have been released 6 months ago for people that had different LTE frequencies. So now we have a imac that has lessened the flexibilty in regards to i/0. What!! Not audio input! Etc etc. then they will tweak this NEW VERSION after they get feedback from customers that its somewhat lacking and complaints that you cant get in to fix it. Then this model will be rendered a value of 300 bucks ....and on and on. Apple stop the marketing hype and start building proper engineered machines for all leagues of people....dont worry about your fat bum or weight for a desktop....your just a shiny silver machine.... What next, nip and tuck surgery... Just make it easy to fix.... Put the required gear in it...and stop the fashion show. Buy the way TIM....YOUR IPHONE 5 SUCKS...its got manufacturing flaws you wont stand up and admit to....
  • Reply 140 of 194
    Go one step further!

802.11ac AirPort family. The AirPort Extreme gets two USB ports and Time Capsule keeps just one. The Apple SuperDrive can be plugged into either of them and operate as a network ODD for the <1% of people who need it. The second one is for a hard drive for backups, like now. Or, you know a hard drive for NETWORK ATTACHED ITUNES STORA… Sorry, got carried away.

Sorry, but what use is a network ODD? My AE is not anywhere near my mac and neither would my TC be if I had one. You need to load discs into an ODD therefore it needs to be next to your mac.

I have my iTunes lib on an external drive and all my music comes from ripped CDs.