White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 82
    The White definitely looks a bit different in the iPad Mini renders than in the iPad and iPhone renders. And apparently, Apple had fewer stock of the white one. Well, one thing that's clear is that people aren't really bothered about the $329 price-tag.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    jpadhiyar wrote: »
    The White definitely looks a bit different in the iPad Mini renders than in the iPad and iPhone renders. And apparently, Apple had fewer stock of the white one. Well, one thing that's clear is that people aren't really bothered about the $329 price-tag.

    We're at 30+ hours from a totally new product from apple and its not sold out (black). Don't remember the last time I saw that. Maybe $329 wasn't the best price (we'll know if we see tons on the shelves after launch). Reserve opinions until then.
  • Reply 63 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    We're about ten years from that.



     


    So is it just an uninspiring product? Because like Andysol above, I can't remember the last time Apple introduced a  new product that didn't sell out on the first day or two.


     


    It is hard to judge for other people, but I don't own a tablet yet and I think I might get the Mini. To me it looks like it should be a home run. A slightly improved iPad 2 is a much handier, lightweight package for a much more affordable price.

  • Reply 64 of 82


    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

    So is it just an uninspiring product?


     


    See, I'm the wrong person to ask that. image


     


    Now the real iPad? Ten years from saturation. Sooner once they release the larger portable models. 

  • Reply 65 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    See, I'm the wrong person to ask that. image


     



     


    Inside joke?


     


    Quote:


     


    Now the real iPad? Ten years from saturation. Sooner once they release the larger portable models.




     


    http://www.marketingcharts.com/wp/topics/demographics/almost-half-of-us-adults-in-75k-households-own-tablets-23898/


     


    Nearly half of US households with income >$75K have a tablet.


     


    I don't see 10 years till saturation. Saturation doesn't require 100%. If half the market has tablets already (in less than 3 years), the slowdown could start anytime now. The non sellout of the Mini, might be a sign that things are changing.

  • Reply 66 of 82


    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

    Inside joke?


     


    No, I just hate the idea of the iPad mini and don't think it was the right decision by any stretch.


     




    Nearly half of US households with income >$75K have a tablet.


     


    If half the market…




     


    Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not the market. The market is anyone. 

  • Reply 67 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    No, I just hate the idea of the iPad mini and don't think it was the right decision by any stretch.


     


     


     


    Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not the market. The market is anyone. 





    Now you sound like Tim Cook ;)

  • Reply 68 of 82


    Just received notice that my iPad Mini's SmartCover is being shipped. A shame that they ship the cover separately from the iPad Mini itself. Apple is not the only computer company that does this. But it sure got me excited over nothing when I received text notification that my "order" was en route, and it turned out to be the cover only.

  • Reply 69 of 82


    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

    Now you sound like Tim Cook ;)


    For the first part or the second? ????

  • Reply 70 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by simtub View Post



    Wonder if any of these minis will come out the box with scuffs like the iphone5. Also the back of the black one is the same color/coating as iPhone 5 too which a few ppl reported it being prone to scratching. Think ill go for white 32gb cellular! The industrial design is amazing




    Once again, please try and understand how anodizing works before making silly comments. Are there lots of complaints out there about iPad scratches?

  • Reply 71 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    For the first part or the second? ????





    The part about everyone being the market. It reminded me of him saying at one point that Apple will not leave out any market.

  • Reply 72 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    No, I just hate the idea of the iPad mini and don't think it was the right decision by any stretch.


     


     


     


    Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not the market. The market is anyone. 



     


    1) What do you think should have been done?


    2) exactly how are the homeless going to afford iPads?

  • Reply 73 of 82


    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

    The part about everyone being the market. It reminded me of him saying at one point that Apple will not leave out any market.


     


    Well, if you believe the old-set Mac Pro demographic, they'll be killed off.

  • Reply 74 of 82
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    andysol wrote: »
    We're at 30+ hours from a totally new product from apple and its not sold out (black). Don't remember the last time I saw that. Maybe $329 wasn't the best price (we'll know if we see tons on the shelves after launch). Reserve opinions until then.

    I can't wat for your opinion on this.

    Do you know how many black models they had before launch? No? I think you are maybe trying to wring too much drama out of the iPad mini launch, for some reason.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I can't wat for your opinion on this.
    Do you know how many black models they had before launch? No? I think you are maybe trying to wring too much drama out of the iPad mini launch, for some reason.

    Only Apple knows how many they made- But it is the same assembly lines that are creating brand new full sized iPads, iPod touches, and a brand new iPhone that is only a month removed from launch- so if anything, it would be substantially less in quantity than the iPhone 5 was- which sold out in an hour- and I would also assume less than the original iPad (when there wasnt another iPad or a month old iPhone)- which also sold out near-instantaneously.

    Those are assumptions, sure- but educated ones.
    I think the mini will sell ok, but one can't help but wonder if it was priced at $299, if it would've sold out in minutes or hours.

    We'll never know. What I do know is that I haven't seen a brand new apple product (including almost all iOS refreshes) not sell out instantly in a long, long time.
  • Reply 76 of 82

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post





    Charges haven't shown up yet, but that doesn't mean anything. It's not uncommon for friday charges to not show up until monday.


    The bill goes to your account when your purchase has completed the packaging process, and is ready to loaded onto the plane. If you check the tracking web page, the first entry is the first 'shipping point', and is roughly the point at which you are billed. Your account should show an entry within several hours of the tracking entry but the same day. At which point Apple can log the item as "sold".


     


    Cheers

  • Reply 77 of 82
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
    harbinger wrote: »
    Can't say that matches my observations. I see predominantly black iPhones, be it of 4S or 5.

    Furthermore, iPad Mini is not made the same way as iPhone 5. But I get that few customers (or bloggers or analysts) understand these issues.

    Regardless, I am thankful 'cause I just ordered a black unit and it will be arriving earlier than white ones.
    I see mostly black iPhone 5. I know most of those people oooh and ahhh at my white iPhone 5 and tell me thy wish they had gotten that one instead. Thats why when mini came around everyone went for the white first.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by foodmetaphors View Post


    Really tempted to pre-order the 64 GB in white but I want a hands-on with it first. 



     


    Haven't had time to stop the local store...do they have the mini's on display yet?

  • Reply 79 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nht wrote: »
    Haven't had time to stop the local store...do they have the mini's on display yet?

    Not until 11/2
  • Reply 80 of 82
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
Sign In or Register to comment.