White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just hours after the iPad mini became available to preorder at Apple's online store, the white and silver model is now advertised to ship in two weeks.

Store

While the white model in all capacities is now sold out, as of Friday morning the black and slate version is still advertised to deliver on next Friday, Nov. 2. Cellular-capable models do not ship until mid-November.

Announced this week, the iPad mini is available in sizes of 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes. Like the iPhone 5, it's available in black and slate, as well as white and silver.

Market watchers have big expectations for the iPad mini, with millions expected to be sold this quarter. Though many expected an entry price lower than $329, Wall Street analysts believe the iPad mini will justify its price to consumers with superior build quality, strong software, and a huge range of third-party applications available on the iOS App Store.

The iPad mini features a 7.9-inch display and a thinner bezel that allows it to be held with one hand. It's 7.2 millimeters thin and weighs 0.68 pounds, which is 68 percent less than the full-size iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82

Sold out already? That was quick. I hope they don't have unexpected production problems

Does anybody know any estimates of how many units Apple produced in advance?

• Reply 2 of 82
    The various apple devices, and the staggering numbers of sales of each device brings me to one conclusion. Sheep's are selling their wool at record prices.

Look's like Apple has another winner on it's hands.
  • Reply 3 of 82

Before someone decides to flame me for making a sheep comment.  It was sarcasm.  Just poking fun at the Android/Nokia/Windows/Google/RIM/Samsung/HTC/Motorola community for their reason why Apple products sell.  Guess it helps them sleep at night believing it.  By the way did i forget anyone in that community?  I'm sure I did.

• Reply 4 of 82
    Will they be available in Apple stores on the same day as the 27 inch iMac? I'm going to wait in line so I can be sure to get mine, and it would be convenient to buy both at the same time.
  • Reply 5 of 82
    I have been trying to decide all day between white or black. The black kinda looks same ol same ol, whereas the white looks a little fresher. But the black ended up drawing me in, says classic iPad I guess. I am sure I will get buyers remorse and decide I should have gone white :)
  • Reply 6 of 82

OMG, OMG, so many people had decided weeks in advance of its release that it would cost $299, it's amazing that ANY SOLD AT ALL FOR THE OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPLOITATIVE PRICE OF $329!!! Steve must yet be brainwashing consumers from the great beyond!!!

• Reply 7 of 82
    Went with black, the back of it is what sold me (I use an invisbleshield). I wonder if they didn't produce as many white/silver for launch? Or ran into QC issues with white (thus fewer available)?
  • Reply 8 of 82
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    It is about time that Apple upgraded their Mac line and they still got the Mac tower to be upgraded... all part of the ecosystem. Their upgrade cycles should not take >1 year. In tech it is an eternity.

Meanwhile, they need to come with iPhones in different sizes like 3.5", 4" and 5". I think it was a mistake to change the aspect ratio. Did not improve much as the letters are still the same size unless I go with the landscape mode. Complicates software development when aspect ratio is changed. All this will allow the product launches to be staggered.

Now that Apple is trying to wean from Samsung, it will have to cough some $$$ to finance suppliers' R&D, plant and equipment. Most of them operate with skinny profit margins.

With all these products, Apple could beat guidance handily since the supply chain will improve sooner than expected with all the capex being poured.
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Well, just cancelled my black and went to white 32GB. Knew I would regret it if I didn't. However daving313 I agree, the back of the black looks cool!
  • Reply 10 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

Well, just cancelled my black and went to white 32GB. Knew I would regret it if I didn't. However daving313 I agree, the back of the black looks cool!

Maybe I should have ordered the two of them. The black for sunny days to go easy on my eyes, and the black one if there is dark and gloomy weather, to brighten up the day.

Anyway. I ended up with the white. They just look gorgeous, both of them.

• Reply 11 of 82
    gchriste wrote: »
    I have been trying to decide all day between white or black. The black kinda looks same ol same ol, whereas the white looks a little fresher. But the black ended up drawing me in, says classic iPad I guess. I am sure I will get buyers remorse and decide I should have gone white :)
    You should have went with white... I had similar thoughts with the iPad 3rd gen & went white. Loving the white!
  • Reply 12 of 82
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    It is almost as if the people complaining about the mini being not enough power/too expensive/unneccisary/unimpressive have no idea what customers want, while the worlds most successful company has a slight inkling.

Who would have guessed.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'm still seeing 11/2
  • Reply 14 of 82
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Glad I went ahead and picked mine up earlier. 11/2
  • Reply 15 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jivanile wrote: »
    Before someone decides to flame me for making a sheep comment.  It was sarcasm.  Just poking fun at the Android/Nokia/Windows/Google/RIM/Samsung/HTC/Motorola community for their reason why Apple products sell.  Guess it helps them sleep at night believing it.  By the way did i forget anyone in that community?  I'm sure I did.

It does help to use italics or quotes to help draw the reader to that conclusion, especially if they are skimming posts, which is common.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Sold out already? That was quick. I hope they don't have unexpected production problems

Does anybody know any estimates of how many units Apple produced in advance?

More than Microsoft made for the Surface launch.

• Reply 17 of 82
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    OMG, OMG, so many people had decided weeks in advance of its release that it would cost $299, it's amazing that ANY SOLD AT ALL FOR THE OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPLOITATIVE PRICE OF $329!!! Steve must yet be brainwashing consumers from the great beyond!!!
    The 8.9" Kindle is 299. I don't have a problem with the price.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

I have been trying to decide all day between white or black. The black kinda looks same ol same ol, whereas the white looks a little fresher. But the black ended up drawing me in, says classic iPad I guess. I am sure I will get buyers remorse and decide I should have gone white image

Hell, it's only $329. Buy two!! :D

• Reply 19 of 82
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

You should have went with white... I had similar thoughts with the iPad 3rd gen & went white. Loving the white!

No accounting for taste.  I'd say the opposite, my iPad 3 is white but my iP 5 is black/slate.  I absolutely love both but the slate is just sexy looking (more prone to scratching too, though)

I'd love to buy one of these but with an iPad 2 (kids) and my iPad 3 + my recently purchased iMac, I'd probably be divorced if I bought another Apple product, LOL. I'm laying the groundwork to buy an Air when it upgrades next March/April/Whenever.  I'm sure by then the old Dell I have (kids use it for homework) will need replacing! ;-)

• Reply 20 of 82
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"now advertised to ship in two weeks"???

I'm in California, the Apple Store went back online at 12:06am,

and I immediately ordered

a white mini 32GB wi-fi, and my notices ALL say 

"available to ship in two weeks".

Maybe it was asking for engraving, but, aside from that,

I can't see how that many people in the US could have ordered before me at 12:08...?