Microsoft exec promotes value of Windows 8 PCs, calls iPad mini a $329 'recreational tablet'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Windows NT 3.51 was confusing as hell too. Every server upgrade they have ever made was a complete departure from the previous version.

They've certainly added more complexity which rightfully required additional training but it's always been reasonable and formidable, which is why I'm jumping on it now despite my company only recently moving to 2008.
  • Reply 82 of 209
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The iPad mini: It just works.

The Surface: It just locks up.

the funniest thing about that video...

When he runs off to get the working tablet and you look in the audience, about everyone with a laptop had a glowing Apple on it...

• Reply 83 of 209
    Thanks to Agramonte for his recent comments, posted from a tablet that does not have spellcheck. I like to see the concept of a corporate implementation Manuel. Always there are thinkers and then the ones who get things done. Manuel, Make it So!
  • Reply 84 of 209
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Sinofsky = Balmer2.0 minus 200 lbs.

You mean 0.2 surely? Otherwise my thoughts exactly mini Balmer but of course that's who they'd use to talk about iPad mini LOL
  • Reply 85 of 209
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Apple should now have the noblesse oblige to not talk Microsoft products down. If you talk your opponents down you sound weak and a little childish. Samsung is another matter — less business rivals, more IP thieves wearing masks and carrying a bag marked 'swag'. But Microsoft have gone out of their way to differentiate the look of their tablet from the iPad. They deserve some props for that.

Yeah.

• Reply 86 of 209
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Windows NT 3.51 was confusing as hell too. Every server upgrade they have ever made was a complete departure from the previous version.

They've certainly added more complexity which rightfully required additional training but it's always been reasonable and formidable, which is why I'm jumping on it now despite my company only recently moving to 2008.

I'm sticking with CentOS. Pretty much the same as Sun OS 4 from 1994 when I first got into this gig.

• Reply 87 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The worst part about the tablet crash is Sinofsky's "girly run" across the stage.

Did you also notice the "Pink Screen of Death" on the large TVs behind him... it was soo "cute."

• Reply 88 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I'm sticking with CentOS. Pretty much the same as Sun OS 4 from 1994 when I first got into this gig.

I've used Red Hat over the years and use some version of Linux at work and elsewhere in many iterations, including on Citrix XenServer for many VMs of varying types, but I've never used CentOS.
  • Reply 89 of 209

Speaking of Windows crashes at important events....

This is ancient history now I suppose, but does anybody know how long the BSOD lasted at the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremonies? Of course on TV we only saw a momentary BSOD and then a cut and the ceremonies resumed immediately, but in the actual stadium, we don't know how long the hiatus was or how long everybody sat there twiddling their thumbs while they frantically pushed ctl+alt+del over and over and over—girly-running too,  for all I know.

If it were anybody but Microsoft, you think NBC would have covered up for them like that?

• Reply 90 of 209
    analogjack wrote: »
    Sinofsky has been well and truly suckered into this response. What a dumbass thing to say, of course a mini is a recreational device it's not trying to be anything else Apple has serious laptops for serious use.

Sinofski will be gone by June 2013!

Bad, bad job!
  • Reply 91 of 209
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

I agree with you 100% bravo!   as an aside, I actually agree with both Apple's and Microsoft's criticisms about each others products.  One is mostly recreational and the other is mostly compromising and confusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Apple should now have the noblesse oblige to not talk Microsoft products down. If you talk your opponents down you sound weak and a little childish. Samsung is another matter — less business rivals, more IP thieves wearing masks and carrying a bag marked 'swag'. But Microsoft have gone out of their way to differentiate the look of their tablet from the iPad. They deserve some props for that.

Apple didn't actually talk their product down.  Tim was ask his opinion during their earnings call and he just quoted a couple of reviewers. So technically, those weren't his words.

• Reply 92 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

I've used Red Hat over the years and use some version of Linux at work and elsewhere in many iterations, including on Citrix XenServer for many VMs of varying types, but I've never used CentOS.

CentOS is Red Hat. Because Red Hat is open sourced licensed they have to publish the source code so CentOS just republishes it free. It is the same as Red Hat EL without the branding or the service contract. It is the most popular flavor of Linux by a large margin, especially for commercial use.

• Reply 93 of 209
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Right iPad Mini is 'recreational.' Because there's so much more productivity software available on Windows 8 RT Surface. :lol:
    I haven't tried it yet -don't know the limitations- but Microsoft Office RT (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote) is bundled with Windows RT.
  • Reply 94 of 209

He said $279 Win8 Laptop. 

IOW an Atom/AMD powered Netbook with no touchscreen (likely a crappy TN screen and small rotating HD).

The exact same thing everyone said would kill the iPad when it debuted in 2010.

100 Million iPads/275000 dedicated applications later and he is still using an answer that was foolish in 2010?

Netbooks. Really? That's the best you got?

I don't think Netbooks really compete with iPads.

But you know what that $279 Netbook with real windows, certainly competes with a $600 Surface, that doesn't run real windows applications, and has a floppy membrane keyboard that makes the netbooks look like an expensive mechanical in comparison.

Yay Surface RT, You can spend sub $300 for real windows, with a real keyboards and real applications. Or you can get a surface for more than double the price, half the performance, membrane keyboard, and almost no applications.

• Reply 95 of 209
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Microsoft was beating the crowd back with sticks in Century City!

Love your photography.

In this shot, you really managed to capture the desolation well.

• Reply 96 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

He can't be talking about Surface. It's $499 minimum and runs RT.

He said $279 Win8 Laptop. 

IOW an Atom/AMD powered Netbook with no touchscreen (likely a crappy TN screen and small rotating HD).

The exact same thing everyone said would kill the iPad when it debuted in 2010.

100 Million iPads/275000 dedicated applications later and he is still using an answer that was foolish in 2010?

Netbooks. Really? That's the best you got?

The Surface is a netbook—just a lot worse, for twice the price.

• Reply 97 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Microsoft was beating the crowd back with sticks in Century City!

Love your photography.

In this shot, you really managed to capture the desolation well.

I know right? Put out a sign that says "Line Starts Here" there's supposed to be a line right?

• Reply 98 of 209
    Hahahaha!!!

Love all the awesome...and RIGHT ON...responses!!!
  • Reply 99 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

yeah, RIM tried that tactic when they promoted their "Playbook", calling the iPad a toy compared to theirs. 

Didn't work out too well for them either.

When you look at how the iPad is often used recreationally, it's kind of like the OLD Apple quip that; "Sure Macs aren't any good at games, but people use them to get work done." Do they not understand their target market?

It's like promoting XBox for presentations, and all games were forced to use bullet points.

• Reply 100 of 209

Quote:

I know right? Put out a sign that says "Line Starts Here" there's supposed to be a line right?

That can't be VIP access to stop normal people, that rope is obviously meant to stop Leprechauns, Lawn Gnomes and Little Fairies. No wonder it looks so vacant.

When you target the people who would "enjoy the Windows experience on a tablet" -- you might be looking for repeat customers of the Zune, or Unicorns.