First look at Apple's new Palo Alto retail store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    This is the same design as the Houston Highland Village store, which opened back in the middle of a hot Texas summer. They have screens on the roof panels which can mitigate some of the direct sun. I have been in the Houston store with 95 degree plus heat outside and the store temperature was just fine. Obviously I don't know what their utility bills are, but the stone floors seem to stay cool. One of the front glass doors was broken however and has been replaced for several weeks with a black painted plywood door, looking like a jack-o-lantern with a black tooth. I was told by a security guard on the morning of the iPhone 5 debut that the cost for each of those glass panels, particularly the larger ones, tops fifty thousand dollars.
  • Reply 42 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinder View Post

Steve would never . . . have let that ugly glass seam run right through the apple logo.

Maybe.

You realize the glass is external to the Apple logo and the spans are based upon their structural properties and not whether it doesn't look pretty to the eye as if one were viewing it on a website, right?

• Reply 43 of 61
    rayz wrote: »
    Yup. They don't drop stores in places where there are a lot of people; they drop stores in places where there are a lot of rich people.

If you right, then why not in Singapore, on average Singapore has better cost of living, then many countries with Apple stores!
    But interesting, if you look at list of countries, then India is third see link http://www.aneki.com/richest.html , but look GDP and Ireland is ninth, see link http://www.aneki.com/income_countries.html.

Btw compare USA vs. Singapore, income er capita, you will see Singapore should have an apple store http://www.aneki.com/comparison.php?country_1=United+States&country_2=Singapore
  • Reply 44 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS should just buy all the old locations no longer used by Blockbuster or Borders¡

They're full of spooky ghosts.

• Reply 45 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by city View Post

Apple took the Borders location in Santa Monica California.

Microsoft took the Borders location in Austin Texas. Not 200 feet from the Apple Store. JUST BECAUSE.

• Reply 46 of 61
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    You realize the glass is external to the Apple logo and the spans are based upon their structural properties and not whether it doesn't look pretty to the eye as if one were viewing it on a website, right?

i would think that the apple icon sign is inside the store... hanging from the ceiling... most likely due to earthquake building codes... IMO
  • Reply 47 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Imagine how loud it will be when it rains.

When it hails, look out below!

• Reply 48 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Irrelevant! Steve never let physical impossibility prevent him from making it happen!

• Reply 49 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Irrelevant! Steve never let physical impossibility prevent him from making it happen!

That reminds me of the Antenna-gate press conference, where he said something along the lines of "we haven't figured out how to defy the laws of physics... yet".

• Reply 50 of 61
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Nice. But I do wonder sometimes if they've completely forgotten they're in a highly active seismic zone, or maybe just in denial? As nice as it is, it's one place I wouldn't want to be when a good sized earthquake hits… I wonder, what magnitude will it have to be before it starts raining glass in there?

I wonder if you have internalized completely unfounded ideas about the properties of architectural glass.

(It's a far more resilient building material than people realize.)

• Reply 51 of 61

Just like Highland Village here in Houston.

• Reply 52 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did at the 5th Avenue store. And you can tell these images were taken with an iPhone.

… they're solid walls of purple.

Are you sure?

• Reply 53 of 61
    Just like Highland Village here in Houston.

LL
    Wow. I'm in Texas and I just can't imagine going into a glass topped building during the 40 to 80 days of 100+ degree days that I see locally. I would kind of feel like an ant under a magnifying glass! Maybe it's cloudier in Houston - I know it's definitely more humid.
  • Reply 54 of 61

wow, nice and huge apple store it is good  for apple product lovers thanks for sharing.

iphone apps development
  • Reply 55 of 61

wow, amazing

iphone Apps Ontwikkeling
  • Reply 56 of 61
    In other news, Microsoft will build a new store in Palo Alto closer to the new Apple Store, with similar signage, materials, and architecture." This made me laugh but then, well anyway, now that the tablet wars are on, and iPad 4 is out too, the store should have some really amazing work to do.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If that's how you want to play it then you have a long time to wait because India has a population of 1.2 billion, or 269 Irelands. In fact, you're pretty much half down the list on the populations of countries which puts more than 100 countries between you and an Apple Store.

I live in Ireland.

• Reply 58 of 61
    desuserign wrote: »
    Nice. But I do wonder sometimes if they've completely forgotten they're in a highly active seismic zone, or maybe just in denial? As nice as it is, it's one place I wouldn't want to be when a good sized earthquake hits… I wonder, what magnitude will it have to be before it starts raining glass in there?

I wonder if you have internalized completely unfounded ideas about the properties of architectural glass.

(It's a far more resilient building material than people realize.)

^^ This.

Are people really questioning the noise rain makes on a glass roof? Is rain deafening when you're driving your car's windshield through a storm at 70mph? Nothing to worry about folks.

As for heat, and I may be wrong but, I think the one-sided convex shape of the "lens" roof actually spreads the light radiation out rather than focusing it on a single point. Again I may be wrong, but it's probably double paned as way.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if its comprised of safety glass, wherein breaking it doesn't produce sharp edges. And I'm absolutely certain there are stablizors/flexers such as rubber inserts so the whole building's rigidity is broken up a little bit to give it some "give." I see that in steel and cement parking structures all the time.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong as I have nothing to back this up. These questions do remind me of a question I asked my teacher in high school when he said, "Don't worry if there's an earthquake while you're in school. This building has been designed so the walls collapse outward, away from you."

My question was, "Then what happens to the roof?"
  • Reply 59 of 61
    University "Drive" in Palo Alto?
  • Reply 60 of 61
    This looks just like the Scottsdale, Az store - Scottsdale Quarter. Perhaps this new Palo Alto store also uses a cooled floor like the Scottsdale store does. As you know, Arizona gets pretty hot, and Ive been in that store in the middle of summer and its not too bad...