AppleInsider Mobile Version Feedback

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85

Yes, I know it's a drop down menu list, but I just don't understand why you posted it. Sorry if I missed something, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

What is the below photo supposed to represent

I forget the name. One-a them dropdown menus. I'll find it.

Oh. Really? That's the name? Huh. Thought it was something more descriptive.

• Reply 42 of 85

Yes, I know it's a drop down menu list, but I just don't understand why you posted it. Sorry if I missed something, though.

You'd pick a number from it instead of a word. Then it would jump to that page. 

I KNEW I should have posted that sentence below it. Began to and then I thought, "No, people know I mean numbers instead of words." image

• Reply 43 of 85

Indeed, you should have! :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'd pick a number from it instead of a word. Then it would jump to that page. 

I KNEW I should have posted that sentence below it. Began to and then I thought, "No, people know I mean numbers instead of words." image

• Reply 44 of 85
    No mobile forums seen on iPhone 4, how about the beta
  • Reply 45 of 85

I have an iPhone 4s with IOS 6.0.1 and also cannot see anything on the website to toggle between desktop view and mobile view for the forums. Can we get some clarification about this feature? Is it in private beta or should we be seeing it? Thx.

• Reply 46 of 85
    The beta works great, very good and easy interface. Best I've seen.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    Hey maybe this website with enough progress, the website could be a IOS app, the full website works great in both versions.
  • Reply 48 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I find it a lot easier to keep track of subscribed threads than the main site.
  • Reply 49 of 85

I don't think that having an excerpt of the latest post is not a very useful information. Here's why:

• Depending what was the last post that you read, knowing the beginning of the latest post is useless because you will need to go back anyway to continue reading where you left off.

• Removing the excerpt would give back some space, and therefore show more content.

• With the gained space, you could show how many pages there are for that thread, additionally to the nickname of the last poster and the timestamp of the post, and the total number of posts.

• Reply 50 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I like that our avatars show up on the mobile site. Heck, I like the idea of avatars in general.

What do people think about potentially having avatars visible on the desktop version?

Fine so long as you have the power as a mod to remove obnoxious ones.
  • Reply 51 of 85

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Fine so long as you have the power as a mod to remove obnoxious ones.

We would absolutely do that, and we'd love users to also report offensive or obnoxious avatars, should it ever be implemented.

• Reply 52 of 85
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Can't seem to find how to ignore folks without going back to desktop.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Can't seem to find how to ignore folks without going back to desktop.

I can't find that option either.
  • Reply 54 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can't find that option either.

Glad to know that that wasn't just me. 

Another thing that might be useful, if it is possible, is having 'ignores' also block replies to the person. I mean if you don't want to see what they are saying then you don't want to see it whether it is them or someone quoting them. But you don't always want to block the folks that are doing the quoting cause they aren't always bad. 

Another option in this regard would be to be able to ignore threads and/or subthreads. This way if someone is normally 'good' but they have a moment of insanity you can block that tangent and replies but see the rest of their stuff. 

Same with being able to exclude certain types of articles. Some folks are livid that anything about any lawsuits is being posted. So what that they don't have a gun to their heads making them read it, the fact that it is there forces them to go into the forums on every article and talk about how those things shouldn't be posted. If they had the power to 'exclude' certain keywords (and those words are always on the appropriate articles) then they could ignore that topic to their hearts content. 

• Reply 55 of 85

Couple of wishlist type things. 

1. Correct the padding on the 'comments' link. It's bad on the desktop version and horrid on the mobile one. Sometimes the first comment is shoved up almost off the top of the screen, other times it is. 

2. I know we can adjust the number of posts we see on a page but what about no pages at all. Why not let us have the option for a flat scroll of everything no matter how long it gets. Going with that, a way to jump straight to the first unread message (perhaps based on time and date of the last visit to that particular thread) would be useful. And why not an option for nested replies. Works great on a number of sites and this one could be another. 

• Reply 56 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Just wanted to chime in to say I'm loving the mobile [s]beta[/s] forum.

There are plenty of additional features that would be [I]nice to have[/I] but this is such a brilliant start and user experience on the iPhone that I hope its goes live for everyone soon because I want them to enjoy it, too.

PS: I suggest doing a quick article on it, linked with red text, when it does go live so people are 1) well aware of it, and 2) have a communal outlet for voicing their praise and criticisms in one place, instead of on every thread like with the forum and site change up months back.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    This is pretty cool so far on my iPhone. Great work! Btw, I'd happily fork over $5 or so for a native objective c based iOS app. As good as HTML is, it has some limitations. Which is not to say this isn't this isn't a million times better then what the desktop version looks like on iPhone. Thank you thank you!!!!
  • Reply 58 of 85
    Seems to work great on my iPad too. Wow
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Heck... I even like the Mobile version running on my Mac better than the Desktop version... and yes, I would buy a native Mac version too.
  • Reply 60 of 85
    As a nice to have.. maybe for a later version. I'd like to suggest for the "like" icon to work more like Facebook and not take you to a different page for a comment. Simply, give the guy or gal a +1 and be done with it. I think people would be more likely to "like" things if it was less effort and didn't take your attention away from reading down the posts, by taking you off to a different page and require a "reputation comment". Also, as a bonus, it would be nice to quickly see the list of people who "liked" the post. Again, without taking you off onto a different page to see this info.