UK court orders Apple to rewrite website statement saying Samsung didn't copy the iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 477
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

So where are all the blowhards who were saying this couldn't possibly happen because Apple were completely, demonstrably in the right?

Good decision, Apple need to be slapped down when they act out.

No one said it couldn't happen. They said nothing should happen because Apple obeyed the order exactly as given. The judges were convinced that Apple offended them and are acting out on that. No shortage of softheaded judges in the UK.

• Reply 22 of 477
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post

It's not like the UK can put Apple in jail.  They should really give this judge the middle finger and see what happens.  I predict nothing at all.  Again, worst case scenario is they can no longer sell in the UK.  Small country; no big loss.

Amazing business sense.  One minor legal disagreement... total withdrawal from the 7th biggest economy in the world.  Apple are bound to snap up someone with such acumen.

• Reply 23 of 477

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Where are the blowharders who insisted that Tim Cook would be jailed and the company be held in contempt over the first posting? Doesn't look like that happened huh?

Never happened.  Stick to actual arguments and facts please.

• Reply 24 of 477

For those that agree with this new ruling, a question. The judges explained their ruling as being based on Apple breaching their order by including untrue and incorrect statements in their notice. Please list for us all of the incorrect and untrue statements in Apple's notice.

We'll wait.

Until then, without any untrue and incorrect statements, the judge's excuses for this new ruling appear to be based on personal bias and feelings of being insulted (wrongly) and so have no basis. 

• Reply 25 of 477

Quote:

Never happened.  Stick to actual arguments and facts please.

That would be nice. Care to give it a try yourself?

• Reply 26 of 477

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except Apple hasn't done that, so no punishment can be levied. They did exactly what the court asked, and they don't have to comply with this new whining request.

They don't have to, but there will be consequences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right here, still saying the same thing, because we're right, you're wrong, and Apple has already done what they were legally required to do.

Clearly those with legal authority don't agree with you here.  I tend to favour their opinion.  This is happening and Apple are in trouble.  Your continued denial is embarassing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow, you're right. You're all treated like children, and so you ACT like children. Going so far as to force others to conform to your horde.

You're mixing up your targets.  Apple is the entity that acted with child-like impudence.  And you're the one who's been throwing your toys out of the pram at any suggestion that Apple acted improperly. 

• Reply 27 of 477
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Except Apple hasn't done that, so no punishment can be levied. They did exactly what the court asked, and they don't have to comply with this new whining request.

Apple DID NOT comply with the court order. There are very specific rules for placement and font size in cases like this. The judge has confirmed that Apple broke these rules.

If you believe that the judge is making this up as he goes along then you have no idea about how the English legal system works.

• Reply 28 of 477

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That would be nice. Care to give it a try yourself?

I said that I thought Apple might be (and should be) legally criticised for their statement on their website in response to the court order.

It appears they just have been.

Not sure which of my facts you're questioning here.

• Reply 29 of 477
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    teejay2012 wrote: »
    Talk about material for a Monty Python skit.. The apology ruling was foolish and Apple did what most of us would have done if we were in Apple's position.  Biriss's personal comment about 'coolness' when it comes to an Apple product of course triggered media attention that focused attention on the wide difference in legal opinion between the preliminary German ruling that led to a ban and the UK court findings of  exoneration. So this 'apology' had as much to do with the politics of the UK vs the EU as it pertained to 'turf,' as  it did for Apple losing the (counter) claims. Instead of dying down in the media, the Apple web link fanned the flames of outrage from the UK - not just the judges, but residents who felt Apple was mocking the UK. I must say that Jacob's remarks seem at odds about his earlier statement that this was not intended to make Apple grovel. This is all about making Apple grovel.

I quite like the punishment since it's hard to really punish a company that brings in billions in a month in revenue. That said, the judge has failed to be precise in his punishment which allowed for a great deal of interpretation as we're seeing now. Apple followed it exactly but he was too lazy, stupid, or merely didn't think it through and now he says it's not good enough with an implication of that isn't what he meant. Can UK courts actually operate that way? I don't know but I sure hope not.
  • Reply 30 of 477
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple followed it exactly but he was too lazy, stupid, or merely didn't didn't think it through and now he says it's not good enough with an implication of that isn't what he meant. Can UK courts actually operate that way? I don't know but I sure hope not.

As I've already stated, there's very clear pre-existing rules on the printing (electronically or otherwise) of apologies like this one. Apple's lawyers would have been aware of these rules before the statement was posted on Apple's website.

• Reply 31 of 477

I find it interesting that the Apple defenderati that said the UK judge should have dictated the wording of the statement for Apple to put on the website are now criticising the UK legal system for treating its subjects like children.

• Reply 32 of 477

Quote:

You're mixing up your targets.  Apple is the entity that acted with child-like impudence.  And you're the one who's been throwing your toys out of the pram at any suggestion that Apple acted improperly. 

The person acting like a child here is the judge. The guy is clearly a total imbecile.

• Reply 33 of 477
    hattighattig Posts: 860member

Quote:

For those that agree with this new ruling, a question. The judges explained their ruling as being based on Apple breaching their order by including untrue and incorrect statements in their notice. Please list for us all of the incorrect and untrue statements in Apple's notice.

We'll wait.

Until then, without any untrue and incorrect statements, the judge's excuses for this new ruling appear to be based on personal bias and feelings of being insulted (wrongly) and so have no basis. 

"The court’s initial order to post a notice was designed to correct the impression that the South Korean company was copying Apple’s product. Apple’s post, criticized by judges today, inserted four paragraphs including excerpts of the original “cool” ruling and details of similar German lawsuits that the court today said weren’t true."

Apple were told what to write, and where to post it.

Apple decided to post something else (by adding four paragraphs), and they didn't post it on the web site's front page, as instructed.

Apple has been slapped down for it.

Some people here are way too protective of Apple. Apple was in the wrong according to UK law. Their actions show utter disrespect and contempt for UK law, and by extension, the UK and its inhabitants.

• Reply 34 of 477

Quote:

Where did you get your law degree? Ebay?

• Reply 35 of 477
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post

Couldn't Apple just refuse? What's the worst that could happen? They'll make the UK angry? Surely they can afford to pull out of that market if it comes to that. It's a fairly small market.

No offense intended to UK customers, but a court demanding a written apology like this is just silly.

As far as I am aware the UK is Apple's most profitable market outside of the US.

• Reply 36 of 477

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple DID NOT comply with the court order. There are very specific rules for placement and font size in cases like this. The judge has confirmed that Apple broke these rules.

If you believe that the judge is making this up as he goes along then you have no idea about how the English legal system works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

As I've already stated, there's very clear pre-existing rules on the printing (electronically or otherwise) of apologies like this one. Apple's lawyers would have been aware of these rules before the statement was posted on Apple's website.

And which of these rules did Apple supposedly violate?

• Reply 37 of 477

They don't have to, but there will be consequences.

If Apple can be punished for obeying a court order, they'd be better off leaving your country entirely. As would every company.

Clearly those with legal authority don't agree with you here.

We'll see how long that lasts. 

This is happening and Apple are in trouble.  Your continued denial is embarassing.

Apple's a singular entity, and your belief that the original wasn't in legal compliance is embarrassing. 

You're mixing up your targets.

Nope, I know exactly who I'm talking about. "Conformity, Safety, Servility." What, exactly, is wrong with the first one? Even the judges didn't say. 

• Reply 38 of 477

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Where did you get your law degree? Ebay?

Don't need a law degree to have common sense.

Judges said Apple included untrue statements. Find one or STFU.

• Reply 39 of 477
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Except Apple hasn't done that, so no punishment can be levied. They did exactly what the court asked, and they don't have to comply with this new whining request.

Right here, still saying the same thing, because we're right, you're wrong, and Apple has already done what they were legally required to do.

Wow, you're right. You're all treated like children, and so you ACT like children. Going so far as to force others to conform to your horde.

Obviously Apple stepped over a line.  They had to have known they were going to piss off the judge.  Don't understand why you always think Apple can do w/etf they want?  Get a clue.

• Reply 40 of 477

Quote:

We'll wait.

The ruling says the statement was inaccurate, which anyone with any kind of grasp of the English language knows is not the same as untrue or incorrect.  So why on Earth anyone should provide you with an irrelevant list is pretty pointless.  Just except Apple are acting like spoilt brats and move on please.