Macs running Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 appear online

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freqsound View Post

I've been pushing for the next OS to be called Sabre Tooth.

No offense, but you didn't put enough thought into that.  Sure, it sounds cool, but it makes no sense for more reasons than I could even begin to mention, starting with the fact that there never was a creature named "Sabre Tooth."  There was a Saber Toothed Cat, often referred to as a Saber Toothed Tiger.

• Reply 62 of 87
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member

I remember it was just less than a year after these reports came out in 2011 that 10.8 came out.

Come on, OS X Caracel!

• Reply 63 of 87
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gustav wrote: »
    10.9 was likely started well before 10.8 GM. 

No it wasn't. Proof being that the next major Apple OS appears in the logs always a few weeks after the release of the last one. Not ever before And no software project is built like that.
  • Reply 64 of 87

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In fact, it only makes sense for it to be free.

That's opposite.

• Reply 65 of 87
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I am still waiting for OS X Ocelot. image

I like Civet - those are those Chinese cats that people ate, which led to the SARS outbreak.

• Reply 66 of 87
    10.9 will continue the trend towards an iPod Touch-like interface.

OSX Housecat
  • Reply 67 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    elroth wrote: »
    I like Civet - those are those Chinese cats that people ate, which led to the SARS outbreak.

These aren't cats in the sense that we know them. Biologically all cats are within the taxonomic family Felidae but most civets are in the family Viverridae.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

I can't wait! Another opportunity to fail to fix the dozens of bugs every new release since Snow Leopard has inflicted upon the Finder, all in exchange for more Facebook access, which I need about as much as I need the voice of Howard Stern bone-inducted into my molars as I sleep.

Or NEW! EXCITING! FEATURES!

Like the one that insisted on saving files before I could close Quicktime player. Choices were "Save and close," "Cancel" and "Review Changes."

I could not find one that said "Just fucking CLOSE without doing ANYTHING, like I asked in the first place!"

• Reply 69 of 87
    I think XI will mark the official convergence of MacOS and iOS. A single unified OS that loads only what is needed depending on the device. Any naming schemes apropos that?
  • Reply 70 of 87

10.9 - OS X Mountainer Lion

10.10 - OS X Mountainest Lion

• Reply 71 of 87
    I'm going to go with the "OS that makes things contextually visible" The Cheshire Cat OS.

Note their patent for making components visible on an iPhone/iPad as the user needs them.

All our science fiction fantasies of touching cool, smooth, stone monoliths and glowing tracings of ancient power at our fingertips will be realized. You sit down in your chair, touch the solid metal surface, and glowing traces flow from your finger points. The interface and screen just materialize as tiny ionic fields pulse in the transparent aluminum.

Forget the "walled garden" -- this will be the "obelisk" -- the blank slab that comes alive.

OS 10.10 (yeah, we aint never gonna go to 11.1 baby!), will be a Software Hardware combination.

Now Cheshire will be somewhere between that, and it won't be completely invisible, but you will see it grinning back at you.

Apple probably has this all hush hush, as they are negotiating with an Alien race to sell their old junk to us ignorant natives.

Yes, the cats from here on out will be imaginary.
  • Reply 72 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

The last remaining "big cat" name is Cougar.  Done.

Sophia Vergara would be their ultimate secret weapon as spokesperson. You'd get the burgeoning latin demographic, and males with a pulse.

• Reply 73 of 87

I like saber-tooth, but perhaps smilodon?

• Reply 74 of 87
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

As long as it supports a stylus and a kickstand, I don't care what it's called.

• Reply 75 of 87
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

While it's true that Apple said they were going to release OSX on a yearly basis, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed that policy now that Jonny Ive will be designing the HI, because such work can take time.

• Reply 76 of 87
    "Or they could go with names of Zodiak signs, there's 12 of those they can use for a while. Well known names and totally marketable."

OSX Cancer?

If they stick with cats and it's the final cat, the best option has to be OSX Top Cat
  • Reply 77 of 87
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

OS X Miao

• Reply 78 of 87
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

OSX Sardine

(not a feline, but plenty of vitamins and omega3 for felines)

• Reply 79 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    OS X Kitten

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/15882/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Where the kernel and Safari don't use 1GB of RAM.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

OS X Snoop Lion.

Tallest Skil View Post

When they launch a mouseless desktop OS, they can say that they knew OS X was on its way out and that the name was symbolic.

Probably too early to speculate there. ZFS was on Apple's site for a while, so hopefully they have learned to be sure before publicly committing to huge underpinning changes.

Tallest Skil View Post

I've always thought OS XI would have space names, given the slow transition in OS X toward that. 

Samsung has cornered the market there, unless Apple goes with more esoteric terms like OS X Andromeda or OS X Perseid.

Robin Huber View Post

I think XI will mark the official convergence of MacOS and iOS. A single unified OS that loads only what is needed depending on the device. Any naming schemes apropos that?

Unlikely, considering hardware roadmaps point to seperate architecture for smartphones and computers for at least the next five years. But their convergence platform would either be AppleOS or just iOS.

Marvin View Post

OS X Kitten, Where the kernel and Safari don't use 1GB of RAM.

With great responsiveness comes great RAM usage! I assume we're all rolling at least 4GB, and I don't miss the old versions of Safari that thrashed virtual memory all day. Safari website content is also now in its own process, making the program more responsive even when javascript-heavy sites are afoot. Yes, that process can get huge, but I don't run Safari if I'm doing serious FCPX work, or other heavy lifting.