Foxconn chairman says company is falling short of demand for Apple's iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

This information without any numbers is only so much wall street fodder.

If they can only just produce 100 a day then this is a problem

but if the can only produce 1000000 a day then this is more of an over demand problem than a production one

Even if it is harder to assemble I'm sure they are still producing huge numbers of phones

I wonder what Wall Street would do if he had said that so far Foxconn was only able to produce 20 million phones while demand called for 25 million and that will only get worse in November when we expect to make 25 million iPhones and demand will be in the neighborhood of 32 million phones and similarly for December.

Would Wall Street see this as a positive or a negative...

• Reply 22 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple along with the rest of Wall Street is getting hammered today.
  • Reply 23 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You want to pay $1000 for an iPhone? I don't.

Sure, I'd pay 2,000. for an iPhone. Apple should raise the price.

• Reply 24 of 74

Quote:

If they were made in the US you wouldn't pay $1000, it would most likely only add around $100 to the cost.  You have to remember that those foxconn workers work on a lot more than one iphone per hour so the cost of the hourly wage does not add to the cost of the phone as you think.  For example if a worker gets paid $100 an hour but creates 10 products in one hour than the cost of labor was $10 per unit

• Reply 25 of 74
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    rogifan wrote: »

Four more years of pouting.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    How so?

He's probably gonna go into a rant about how much you pay for service from your carrier and how it's overpriced which isn't exclusive to the iPhone. It's quite alright for Apple to have healthy profit margins but god forbid anyone else does. One cannot buy a Ferrari to then complain about the price of premium gasoline.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    He's implying that a US-manufactured iPhone would have to sell for $1,000 (perhaps that's even his assumed on-subsidy price) due to the price of regulation and increase in worker wages/benefits that comes from manufacturing in the US. It's hyperbole, but his point isn't incorrect.
    I disagree. You touched on his point I believe, but only lightly. He is saying that when you include the price of the contract you have to purchase with the phone you are paying over $1000 for the phone. It is subsidized to get you into the phone and you cannot get out of it until you have completed your contract. He did not speculate at all in that post on how much a US manufactured phone would cost from what I can see.
  • Reply 28 of 74

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

He did not speculate at all in that post on how much a US manufactured phone would cost from what I can see.

No, that's EXACTLY what he's saying.

• Reply 29 of 74
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

An obvious situation, when the manufacturing envelope is pushed so far. Hopefully this doesn't result in Foxconn sliding further into worker abuse. I will be interested to see how well Apple's partners in friction-stir welding keep up with iMac demand.

Aside from having less demand, Samsung doesn't have the same issue because, on the build quality continuum, they are in the snap-together-plastic direction.

• Reply 30 of 74

I wonder if Foxconn can make ultra-small violins. (You know the rest of the joke.) 

• Reply 31 of 74

Quote:

America reelected one of their best presidents. That's reason enough to let Wall Street go on crash course.

• Reply 32 of 74
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

what complete crap...Thanks for troll, but its not difficulty of making the device that's causing issues, but the HIGH demand.

From the article "It's not easy to make the iPhones," and FOXCONN representatives already said that the iPhone 5 was difficult to make.

The phones has been extremely hard to find in France for a month, less than thousands sell per day for each operator.

And you shouldn't call a troll someone who's been here far longer than you.

• Reply 33 of 74
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Thank you, Tim Cook, for not being able to build a decent supply chain of Apple products. The news media is having a field day and Wall Street believes every word of it. Samsung can supply tens of millions of its smartphones to consumers without a sweat, but Apple struggles. With loss of innovation and a poor supply chain, there's only one direction for Apple to go and that's down.

Assuming you're not joking, and in case anyone wants to take you seriously, this would be a dumb thing to say on many levels.

For one, Samsung is not building anything like the fine instrument that Apple is, an instrument that incorporates innovation is several ways that no other company would dare to attempt. Do we need to list them for you? Assuming you're not joking, that is. You have to be joking . . .
  • Reply 34 of 74
    rsdofny wrote: »

The iPhone5 is the best phone ever produced - truly masterpiece.  I don't understand why people keep saying Apple is falling behind the competition. 

"People keep saying Apple is falling behind" because they are paid shills for the competition.

No informed, rational, reasonable person believes that Apple is falling behind. Apple has been more truly innovative in the consumer electronics space in the last decade than any other company which is impressive considering the competition.

Apple has outstanding supply chain management but, unlike competitors, refuses to use lower quality components with lower quality quality assurance.
  • Reply 35 of 74

I paid €873 / $1114 in the Apple Store for my 64GB. Cheaper than any offer out there!
  • Reply 36 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Wait, but I thought the iPhone 5 was a 'boring' upgrade, a massive dissapointment, pathetic compared to the competition, had massive flaws, useless maps, photos that show a wall of purple, and came out of the box looking like its been through a blender? How can anyone want the device? 

A big **** you to all the naysayers and pundits predicting failure. People want the shit out of this phone.  

• Reply 37 of 74
    Foxconn needs to quit whining. If they couldn't handle the job they should have spoken up long before this went into production.

Take a freaking pill, take two even. Apple themselves said that the demand was higher than they expected. Foxconn can and likely has been meeting the contacted amounts based on expected demand. But actual demand is way higher. Apple isn't going to bash them for that, but probably asked if there was any way they could increase output, safely and legally of course since all eyes are watching Apple and Foxconn. But it is not whining, just a statement of truth. Right now there are so many folks wanting iPhone 5s that it is way more than they can produce. So expect to wait.

Of course if Apple would do something to kill off the resellers since they say in their legalese (at least in the US) that they only sell to end users, that might help with the demand issue. They should do the whole Chinese Lotto system everywhere or at least in the major cities with known reseller flooding. Or do no walkins for sure. With this and the new iPads. Then they can systematically cut off folks using many apple IDs from the same computer, many credit cards or the same on many accounts, tons of gift cards across all their accounts etc. and give stores the power to reject sales to folks they know are resellers with backup from Corp.
  • Reply 38 of 74

A legitimate question is of Apple's willingness to, plans for, or ability to bring more iPhone factories on line. I understand the argument that there are only so many Chinese workers, but....there are hundreds of millions of Chinese workers. Surely tens of thousands, including managers, etc. could be recruited to bring more factories on line.

I know it's not an overnight process, but couldn't Apple have anticipated this demand several years ago? And couldn't the new factories kinda copy the template of the existing factories? 

In essence, doesn't the failure to do so indicate some sort of supply-chain management problem? Just sayin'....

• Reply 39 of 74
    Thank you, Tim Cook, for not being able to build a decent supply chain of Apple products. The news media is having a field day and Wall Street believes every word of it. Samsung can supply tens of millions of its smartphones to consumers without a sweat, but Apple struggles. With loss of innovation and a poor supply chain, there's only one direction for Apple to go and that's down.

On the contrary, Apple has a great supply chain for their non essential products. That you might have to wait a couple of more weeks for a phone or baby tablet that isn't a life requirement is a first world problem. You can scream and demand that Apple make more so you don't have to wait but then that means shoving even more workers into those sparse dorms, forcing them to work overtime, while working faster so you have a greater chance of getting a banged up, forgot to set the battery connector all the way or other defective unit. So then you get to make an appointment to get it fixed etc. all because you had to have that non life saving basically a toy today

Now compare this to a co worker whose sister was born with a bone defect in her jaw and has to have reconstructive surgery which requires her jaw be wired shut for six months. Her parents decided to get her an iPad Mini so she can type out messages etc. She really wanted a white one but they were all sold out. So her parents said they would get her a black one now or order a white one online and for that 3 weeks she could use Dad's old first gen iPad. Shelley said order it. She's actually using pen and paper so her brothers can play games on the iPad. If a 14 year old can have patience when for her it could be a life changing device (at least for a time), so can grow ups that don't need it for anything
  • Reply 40 of 74
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

While some of the problem seems to be QA issues, you do not build a supply chain to handle peak demand - you build it for average demand.   Otherwise when demand declines or near the end of a model life, you're stuck with tons of expensive unused capacity, even if it's a third-party contractor.     Just as it always has, this will all settle down by another eight weeks.     From a marketing perspective, it works very well  - inability to get a phone creates demand for it.

While it is frustrating to have to wait (I'm waiting to buy as well), the demand is unprecedented.    I've posted the following many times before, so I won't post all the details, but it's taken most consumer products a  year or more to reach sales of one million units.   Apple now does this regularly in a few days of releasing a new product.

The one thing I will agree with you on is that Apple's stock has been heading down because of Wall Street reaction to Apple's supply problems.  But I think it will come back up with the next earnings report.

But Apple itself heading down?    That's absurdity.   By many measures, it's the most successful consumer products company in the world.    And even its current cruddy stock price is 55% above its 52 week low.   Name one other company that's accomplished that.   Apple stores are consistently PACKED with people.  And while many are only tire kicking or checking their email, it shows the level of interest in Apple products.    In spite of the mixed reviews, I couldn't get near the iPad Mini table in the Grand Central Terminal Apple store earlier today and all the comments I heard from people who checked it out were very positive.   Meanwhile, the Microsoft store in Times Square was empty when I passed by yesterday.