Apple's iMessage and FaceTime suffer another significant outage [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    It is not a great user experience when alerts keep telling you your ID/password is wrong.
    Can't there be another server alert? Maybe a link to status page?
  • Reply 22 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Maybe we should all get Android phones. 

Speak for yourself. And no one's stopping you, so go ahead.

(Unless you meant to end with "/s"image).

• Reply 23 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Would you use the same criteria for Apple's hardware design, or quality, or operating systems?

Perhaps I am being unfair, but "better/more robust" is not the standard of "amazing"ness to which I would hold Apple.

Different animals. With this sort of service, it works amazing when you don't even remember it exists. With hardware it's different, it must look great, it must "be" something (light, strong, etc).

People only talk about this services when they do something wrong.

• Reply 24 of 85
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Speak for yourself. And no one's stopping you, so go ahead.

(Unless you meant to end with "/s":D ).
    obviously I was kidding...but when blackberry was having much less outage problems with its bbm service we were all high and mighty like it couldnt happen to Apple and now its a weekly reoccurence.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    iCloud is amazing.

The problem is that Apple (and everything related to them..) is growing too quickly. 5 years ago they sold 4 million macs per year. Now they sell per quarter:

-30 million iPhones, 15 million iPads, 15 million iPods, 5 million macs, 2 OSes, lot's of software, lot's of Apps/music/movies and services, more hardware. iCloud just suffers with this sort of growing and demand.

Be patient and please behave with common-sense.

says the apologist for the company with $120Billion in the bank ...
  • Reply 26 of 85
    it's back up now for me- not down too long, but they need to improve this reliability; especially for business use
  • Reply 27 of 85
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

It seems outages only happen in Sundays!

• Reply 28 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    obviously I was kidding...but when blackberry was having much less outage problems with its bbm service we were all high and mighty like it couldnt happen to Apple and now its a weekly reoccurence.

You make a valid point. Apple's growth is tremendous but it shouldn't be unexpected to any rational commenter on this thread, and especially not to Apple. They shouldn't have built just one DC at first and they should have more redundancy. SMS is pretty flawless and consider that goes between disparate carriers (and countries?).

They were smart with Siri to only give it to the 4S as giving it to all devices with iOS 5 would have been disastrous and they were smart to make iMessage a beta but they need to do more, do it faster, and do it better on the back end. These are all likely short term issues but I'd wager that spending more now will make them more later when it comes to cloud computing.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Mapgate

Scuffgate

Pricegate

and now Cloudgate

No wonder Apple's stock is falling /s

• Reply 30 of 85
    Tim cook is losing control. His job as CEO is clearly on the line at thus point. Investors are going to want answers. He cant keep having these spectacular failures under his leadership and continue on as CEO. People were already skeptical of Apple hiring a CEO whos cor competency was not hardware/software. I think All of Apples upper management needs to check themselves and get serious about their software services if they want people to continue to pay a premium for thier hardware.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    [SIZE=7][URL=http://stevejobswouldnever.com]Steve Jobs would never have let this happen¡[/URL][/SIZE]
  • Reply 32 of 85
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Im sorry but its multiple scandals close together. That means that Tim isnt cut out for being CEO of Apple. He is cut out for being COO of Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Im sorry but its multiple scandals close together. That means that Tim isnt cut out for being CEO of Apple. He is cut out for being COO of Apple.

Are you being serious? If so, do you not remember MobileMe and all the other hassles that happened around that? Does that mean Steve Jobs was not cut out to be CEO of Apple?
  • Reply 34 of 85
    I do have to say I think Apple is losing its quality and high standards. I've had iPhones since the 3G. I had one 3G for two years. Then I got the 4 and in the two years it had to be replaced twice due to failed parts. I then got the 5 and I'm already on my third 5 due to component failures.

I might also add I've had Apple's since the mid 80's and never had problems like this with them.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Are you being serious? If so, do you not remember MobileMe and all the other hassles that happened around that? Does that mean Steve Jobs was not cut out to be CEO of Apple?
    That was mobile me. We are talking iCloud, maps, face time etc....its a mess. Its three scandals in 2 months. Plus Steve Jobs was a tech guy running a hardware company, not an operations guy or a business strategy guy running Apple. Hes been around since the beginning. Tim Cooks strengths are with managing the supply channels that sell and build Apple hardware. He's not going to notice crappy software and services that jut dont work. What experience does Tim Cook have in managing a large team of software engineers and hardware engineers.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    RIM never had this scale of users hammering their servers.

And how many users is that? Or are you assuming every person with a iPhone uses iMessage and Facetime?
  • Reply 37 of 85
    That was mobile me. We are talking iCloud, maps, face time etc....its a mess. Its three scandals in 2 months. Plus Steve Jobs was a tech guy running a hardware company, not an operations guy or a business strategy guy running Apple. Hes been around since the beginning. Tim Cooks strengths are with managing the supply channels that sell and build Apple hardware. He's not going to notice crappy software and services that jut dont work.

Now you've elevated an iCloud outage to a scandal? It's one thing to note that it's egg on Apple's face the way it was on RiM's face when they had such an outage but now it's a fucking scandal? Batten down the hatches¡ Nail crooked pieces of wood over the windows¡ sigh...
  • Reply 38 of 85

This begs the question of who/what is a fair comparable.

Facebook is effectively a cloud service (where we store our social history, photos, etc.). Its up time is quite remarkable.

Amazon is serving up music and movies primarily in US, but its Amazon Web Services have an international reach, and AWS is rock solid.

Twitter breaks down periodically but, surprisingly, seem to be robust during "rush hours" such as Superbowls and the Prez Election.

Netflix serves up higher volume of data (movies) to a lower number of customers than the above. Its up time is spotty.

Google serves up a variety of cloud-based services (mail, search, movies, storage, etc.) and its up time record is also pretty decent.

Apple has had a spotty record in serving mail, messaging and cloud-based storage. On the other hand, does anyone else serve up as much music and movies (particularly on a global scale)? I don't know iTunes' up-time record but my personal experience is that it is far superior to Apple's messaging service.

Overall, not only is Apple serving a larger number of customers than most. Its services have become possibly the most diverse on a global scale. So it's hard for me to imagine comparing Apple to the oranges of crowning another company to be clearly superior in cloud-bases services.

• Reply 39 of 85
    The IOS6 is probably the worst mistake ever. Everything was perfect until it was released, please fix this problem for the sake of the "some". We pay good money for these phones and would appreciate it of they would work properly. Thanks
  • Reply 40 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by highrollermofo 

Post deleted

What's not working for you?

Which one of these problems are truly pervasive.

Apple has > 100M phone running iOS6 by now (didn't Tim Cook say 200M?). Which problems in particularly appear on > 2M phones (i.e. > 1% so as to say that it is indeed an iOS6 problem and not a quirky confluence of usage+software+specific hardware?

In other words, do you have a legit gripe or are you just full of shit?