Microsoft to raise user licensing fees in response to 'BYOD' movement

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    Becuase that makes any fucking sense at all -_- Now, if Microoft was actually intelligenent, which as weall know, they're not even close to being intelligent, but alas, what SmartMicrosoft should do, is lower Enterprise fees, instead of raising Consumer fees, but how would Microsoft get it's moniez? Microsoft needs it's moniesssssss!!! *Rollseyes*
  • Reply 42 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    petrosy wrote: »
    Goodluck runnig your ERP systems with intergrated security model on your $20 license. Active Directory for one is so pervasive across the corporate landscape its very difficult to achieve the same with other tools.

The unified back office make repetitive tasks easier. Picture you Mac server back end... now ad 30 SQL databases 3 exchages servers, multiple SAP instances and 10000+ user base , a mixed bag of OSes and LANs all over the world administered from a central location. Try administer that on your $20 a server infrastructure and see how far you get.

Obviously nothing is impossible and if a corporate was to ditch Windows as a back office system. Apple will be the last place they will look.... there is a reason Linux controls +90% of the supercomputer market the rest shared amongst other unix flavours( not OSX ) and WinTel.

How does the fact that 0.01% of potential computer users MIGHT not be able to use OS X somehow negate the fact that Microsoft's fees are extortionate?

And even that 0.01% figure is probably too high. OS X is Unix and will run most major Unix software.
  • Reply 43 of 121
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    And yet I sit here, forced to shut down my computer instead of restarting it, to get WMMD 1.1 to remain committed within my Windows install. You'd think Microsoft software would work with Microsoft software, at least. :lol:

Also, I believe you're relegating to nonchalance the most important argument. This is how Microsoft expects people to use their computers going forward. I don't see a lot of upgrading happening because of that. 

And WMMD would be..?

As of upgrading. Major Windows 8 problem is not Windows 8 as per se, but Windows 7. Corporates are tied with big investments in time and money a desktop upgrade across the scope would command, not to mention unforeseen issues that can arise with legacy software, old printers etc. Home users, outside of small number of enthusiasts, don't upgrade - they replace machine and OS once old machine is dead or doesn't serve its purpose any more.

It is hardly a secret that Windows, being so much wider adopted platform, does not command same enthusiasm OSX does among Apple users, at least not in percentage game. In absolute numbers, well... but regardless. People upgrading or not really hasn't got much to do with Win 8 usability.
  • Reply 44 of 121
    jragosta wrote: »
    How does the fact that 0.01% of potential computer users MIGHT not be able to use OS X somehow negate the fact that Microsoft's fees are extortionate?
    And even that 0.01% figure is probably too high. OS X is Unix and will run most major Unix software.

1) I see no force or threats by MS in relation to their prices.

2) If prices are too high then that vendor will end up selling less if other competitors offer a competitive product for less money. You've eluded that 99.9% of everything that can be done on Windows in the enterprise can be done with Macs thus saving thousands of dollars (even hundreds of thousands of dollars) with $20 and that hasn't happened without should make you realize that what Windows in the enterprise does is not 99.9% of what Mac OS can do in the enterprise.
  • Reply 45 of 121
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I that the UI changes and split-personality MS has forced upon Windows to try to be everything to everyone instead of offering a product that is great for a given I/O.
    Now you mention the booting and stability. The underpinnings are much improved. They even moved that WinNT kernel to WinPh8 which is a great move, but users don't think about the underpinnings or work in the power shell.
    Can users get used to doing things differently with Win8? Of course, but that isn't what consumer Windows users typically want. If people think they have to learn a new OS to use Win8 you may find it becomes the "final straw" in a decision to switch to Mac for many users.

I agree with you. But MS is not playing blitz-krieg game anyway. They don't expect people to jump on new Windows on the release day, after camping in front of shops for couple of nights to secure their copy. They expect people to get new Windows with new PC/laptop. Once that happen, people will get used to it, and product will serve them well because it is good product, even if a bit visually imbalanced... so when they eventually go to shop to look for tablet or new smartphone (both markets highly under-saturated at present, compared to PC market), they might get attracted to Windows phone or tablet, if for nothing else, then for familiarity of it.

And that, I believe, is MS major goal in "tabletizing" PC. Don't know how well is it going to work, but pretty sure it is not going to hurt them at all. At worst, it will not make much difference is Windows gadget adoption.
  • Reply 46 of 121
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I that the UI changes and split-personality MS has forced upon Windows to try to be everything to everyone instead of offering a product that is great for a given I/O.
    Now you mention the booting and stability. The underpinnings are much improved. They even moved that WinNT kernel to WinPh8 which is a great move, but users don't think about the underpinnings or work in the power shell.
    Can users get used to doing things differently with Win8? Of course, but that isn't what consumer Windows users typically want. If people think they have to learn a new OS to use Win8 you may find it becomes the "final straw" in a decision to switch to Mac for many users.

Fast booting is nice, but if you have efficient sleep, its impact is negligible, you reboot on Patch Tuesday and you're probably good for a month. I think the irony is that fast booting helps resolve problems faster when you're resolving problems by methodically changing a single variable at a time: reboot, adjust something, reboot, etc.

I haven't used it enough to notice stability improvements because that would take a long time. Windows NT and derivative OSs have been very stable as long as you don't a) use shit hardware or b) run shit drivers. Sticking with devices on the WHQL was actually a good way to do just that. Nothing is perfect, but avoiding budget parts with components made by fly-by-night companies generally mitigates the risk. With a good machine, it's a shock to get a BSOD because they happen so very rarely. I think I was averaging one every two years on workstation systems.

My big complaint is shoehorning a touch UI into non-touch computers, and even within the new tile system, the controls are inconsistent.
  • Reply 47 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mission Statement: To take the cool stuff that Apple Computer Inc. is doing and sell it as our own. To make software.

It's one gigantic, ongoing, 35-year coincidence of independent originality where Apple just happens to do something first, followed by Microsoft doing the same.

• Reply 48 of 121
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Microsoft has been a crappy business model corporation since its inception.

If someone else could tackle the Enterprise as well as MS I'm sure plenty of companies would jump on board.

Not even "as we'll" but "half as well" and MS would lose a great deal of its market share. 

Enterprise IT managers are risk adverse. They will not jump ship until they are up to their collective necks. They are also work adverse so changing platform/providers/solutions sounds like a lot of work to them. What needs to happen is that the individual employees start boycotting the company provided services by somehow working around the typical Exchange server features. It all starts with somehow redirecting their email, transparently just like they started this revolution by sneaking their devices into the building and using the iOS easy to configure Exchange Server setup without consulting the IT department. If a new provider offered that service like Google sort of does already, Microsoft will expire from internal bleeding.

• Reply 49 of 121
    nikon133 wrote: »
    And that, I believe, is MS major goal in "tabletizing" PC. Don't know how well is it going to work, but pretty sure it is not going to hurt them at all. At worst, it will not make much difference is Windows gadget adoption.

I don't think it will go well in the long run. Before the iPad was ever announced I was on these forums adamantly stating that any tablet by Apple not use Mac OS and be successful. I stated that it had to be an iOS-based OS with a UI to fit the device. I think this where MS doesn't get it or simply can't let go. You make your IDE and OS work well between the OSes you have for different platforms but you make the UI feel natural and idealized for each device type, not try to make the same one work across all devices.

I've also been using Win Server 2012*. I think that can fair better but that's because admins will know there way around the OS and users will likely only access shares and services.

* I use VMWare Fusion on my Mac but since that app is a consumer app, unlike Citrix XenServer it doesn't create virtual networks that allow multiple Win servers to interact in a domain. That's no longer an issue with this free utility: http://nickapedia.com/2012/01/10/breaking-new-ground-an-uber-tool-for-the-mac/

jeffdm wrote: »
    Fast booting is nice, but if you have efficient sleep, its impact is negligible, you reboot on Patch Tuesday and you're probably good for a month. I think the irony is that fast booting helps resolve problems faster when you're resolving problems by methodically changing a single variable at a time: reboot, adjust something, reboot, etc.

I do look at boot times, but mostly as an indication of core efficiency changes between OSes. If the OS starts up 50% faster it's likely other areas of the code base have also been more efficient.
  • Reply 50 of 121

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

And WMMD would be..?

Oh, that might not be it. Can never remember anything. It's the graphics driver that's supposed to, you know, apply. The Boot Camp drivers don't work for 8 yet, so I have to resort to Microsoft's "solution". But nope; it forgets that my monitor exists, so it's back to 640x480 every time I boot if I restart instead of shut down.

Oh. Best part. The Boot Camp driver DOES work. Whenever it goes to 640x480, if I go in to device/driver/revert to last driver, it works just fine. But then it doesn't work on the next boot, so I have to then redownload WMMD (WDDM? That's probably it…) again. And poof, it works again. Until the next boot. 

It's an endless cycle of lies.

• Reply 51 of 121
    mstone wrote: »
    Enterprise IT managers are risk adverse. They will not jump ship until they are up to their collective necks. They are also work adverse so changing platform/providers/solutions sounds like a lot of work to them. What needs to happen is that the individual employees start boycotting the company provided services by somehow working around the typical Exchange server features. It all starts with somehow redirecting their email, transparently just like they started this revolution by sneaking their devices into the building and using the iOS easy to configure Exchange Server setup without consulting the IT department. If a new provider offered that service like Google sort of does already, Microsoft will expire from internal bleeding.

I think the iPhone and now the iPad have started that. Add in advancements in tech altering our culture (like with internet everywhere) and a centralized building where everyone goes to work becomes less of a requirement.

From an anthropological PoV this could also change the requirement for such congested cities where we lie atop one another. The automobile and road infrastructure helped pushed the concept of the suburbs along but if you're job is still tied to a location you are still tied to a reasonable distance from work. With the internet our "community" is global. But that's for another discussion....
  • Reply 52 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Mission Statement: To take the cool stuff that Apple Computer Inc. is doing and sell it as our own. To make software.

It's one gigantic, ongoing, 35-year coincidence of independent originality where Apple just happens to do something first, followed by Microsoft doing the same.

Not really. Lately perhaps, but Microsoft has been doing the same thing to many other companies such a Novel, IBM, Lotus, WordPerfect, dBase, Netscape, AOL, Sun, Oracle, RealMedia and just about any other innovative company that has come along in the last 40 years. Even the NT kernel was borrowed directly from AT&T System V. They are historically worse copy artists than Samsung but they seldom get challenged.

• Reply 53 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

The disturbing thing about Microsoft's suicidal tendencies is that once their rusting oil tanker finally drifts to a halt and sinks, Apple, having won, will inevitably _become_ Microsoft.

Yes, without a very strong leader who can stand up to shareholders and get his way in all things, all successful companies become victims of their own success. Shareholders demand ever increasing revenue, or maintained revenue at the very least. So taking a revenue hit at any time is the kiss of death for all but the most commanding CEO's. It's okay to give up some revenue from one thing if you can replace it with revenue from a new thing, as Apple so remarkably did with the iPod to iPhone transition. Ballmer's career at Microsoft depends on The Surface. And maybe what we're seeing today with these fees is Microsoft's lack of confidence in achieving any significant revenue generation from The Surface to offset revenue loss in Enterprise licensing.

• Reply 54 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the iPhone and now the iPad have started that. Add in advancements in tech altering our culture (like with internet everywhere) and a centralized building where everyone goes to work becomes less of a requirement.

From an anthropological PoV this could also change the requirement for such congested cities where we lie atop one another. The automobile and road infrastructure helped pushed the concept of the suburbs along but if you're job is still tied to a location you are still tied to a reasonable distance from work. With the internet our "community" is global. But that's for another discussion....

I can imagine  scenario where an email address such as [email protected] will become acceptable and IT will just intercept incoming mail and route it to a spam filtering, redirecting the service so it ends up in my iCloud inbox. That way it never hits the Exchange server. Of course that sort of defeats SOX but whatever. Then, when I send mail out it shows my business address not iCloud.

It is too bad that iCal server is not really an option anymore because being able to view your associates' schedules is still an important aspect of Outlook. Fortunately I have an assistant who uses Windows (also Mac/iPhone) and she updates me via email of changes to the meeting schedules. Microsoft still has a grip on enterprise but we need to just continually chip away at it until everything is on the web with open source accessibility.

• Reply 55 of 121

"Methinks this will come back and bite them in their greedy little behinds."

Time to move to Linux Servers

• Reply 56 of 121
    It's more valuable to the enterprise to be able to use non-Microsoft based devices...
  • Reply 57 of 121
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Innovate, or up-the-rate.

Mr Ballmer faced a tough decision...

Can you tell what path he chose, boys and girls?

• Reply 58 of 121
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Microsoft is Doomed.

• Reply 59 of 121

There's that microsoft again
  • Reply 60 of 121

Quote:

Oh, that might not be it. Can never remember anything. It's the graphics driver that's supposed to, you know, apply. The Boot Camp drivers don't work for 8 yet, so I have to resort to Microsoft's "solution". But nope; it forgets that my monitor exists, so it's back to 640x480 every time I boot if I restart instead of shut down.

Oh. Best part. The Boot Camp driver DOES work. Whenever it goes to 640x480, if I go in to device/driver/revert to last driver, it works just fine. But then it doesn't work on the next boot, so I have to then redownload WMMD (WDDM? That's probably it…) again. And poof, it works again. Until the next boot. 

It's an endless cycle of lies.

I had no issues loading Windows 8 via Boot Camp using version 4. I have a iMac from 3 years ago!

Btw not defending MS, since my next post will ask Nikon 133, if he just making stuff up.