Microsoft Surface Pro to start at $899 for 64GB model

Comments

• Reply 101 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Everybody. They are really quite nice and fast -- the performance is the same as a MBP (which I am typing on) for the price of an Air. The browser works the same as on the Air, and Office works better (through no fault of Apple's, it has to be said). Adobe suite is a year ahead of the Mac version (at least -- thanks, Steve (blessed be his name, etc)) Mathematica and Matlab are identical. Xbox play is nice, if you like that sort of thing.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I think you are jumping the gun if you think the Surface Pro will match the performance of a MBP. Adobe is about to launch the retina version of the Adobe suite for Mac which will make it the best version on all platforms.

• Reply 102 of 147
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Zzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 103 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    igriv wrote: »
    Everybody. They are really quite nice and fast -- the performance is the same as a MBP (which I am typing on) for the price of an Air. The browser works the same as on the Air, and Office works better (through no fault of Apple's, it has to be said). Adobe suite is a year ahead of the Mac version (at least -- thanks, Steve (blessed be his name, etc)) Mathematica and Matlab are identical. Xbox play is nice, if you like that sort of thing.

Really? Where's your evidence? Have you used a Surface Pro?

It is very unlikely that it's going to have the performance of a MacBook Pro (unless you're referring to a 5 or 6 year old MBP which would not be a very useful comparison).

First, no one has yet reported the clock speed of the i5 in the Surface Pro. Second, it lacks a dedicated GPU. Finally, we don't know what limitations are placed on its performance by either the software or hardware designers to try to save battery power. And, of course, after 2 hours when the battery dies, it has infinitely less performance than the MacBook Pro which has several times the battery life.

Please stop making unsupported assertions about performance.
  • Reply 104 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    timbit wrote: »
    I like ms, but windows 8 blows. Worst decision ever. I'll keep win 7 as long as possible then switch to osx because I refuse to use 8

That seems a little extreme. If you're otherwise happy with Windows, just turn off all the silly tiles and eye candy and Windows 8 can be made to operate just about like Windows 7.

Of course, if you do that, there's no advantage to Windows 8 over Windows 7, but if history is any guide, you'll likely find Windows 8 to be the default shortly and not have much choice. Given the choice between changing platforms (which involves a lot of expense and hassle) and simply turning off the features you don't like, the latter is a lot easier.

Of course, the Mac offers a lot of advantages, anyway, so if Windows 8 is simply the spark that gets you to switch, that's a different story.
  • Reply 105 of 147
    That's just seems crazy to me. What are they thinking??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

"Everybody" is buying Ultrabooks? even assuming you don't mean that literally - which would be ultra absurd - you must have missed the news: 

Ultrabook sales forecast slashed in half for 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/ultrabook-sales-forecast/index.html

and here:

"Since the Oct. 26 launch of Windows 8, consumer notebook and desktop sales in the U.S. have fallen 21% compared to the same period last year, said Baker. Laptop sales were down even more -- 24% year-over-year -- while desktop numbers were off considerably less, just 9%."

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9234145/Windows_8_brings_zero_pop_to_consumer_PC_sales

at best, truth is Ultrabooks are a niche market, and a niche ain't "everybody" by any stretch of the imagination. even if you include Apple's laptops within that definition.

PS later: let's look at the whole "ultra" laptop category, combined figures for both Windows Ultrabooks and all the Mac laptops. they all run on Intel chips, and basically, they're all the higher-end laptops. i Suppli is projecting about 10 million Windows Ultrabook 2012 sales, and Apple is on track to sell over 15 million OSX laptops this year. which gives Apple about 60% of this overall "ultra" market.

good luck with that "everybody" thing. some alternate universe?

Well, maybe not everybody. But the machines are nice.

• Reply 108 of 147
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wonder how much she got for that tweet...

• Reply 109 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? Where's your evidence? Have you used a Surface Pro?

It is very unlikely that it's going to have the performance of a MacBook Pro (unless you're referring to a 5 or 6 year old MBP which would not be a very useful comparison).

First, no one has yet reported the clock speed of the i5 in the Surface Pro. Second, it lacks a dedicated GPU. Finally, we don't know what limitations are placed on its performance by either the software or hardware designers to try to save battery power. And, of course, after 2 hours when the battery dies, it has infinitely less performance than the MacBook Pro which has several times the battery life.

Please stop making unsupported assertions about performance.

I am talking about ultrabooks, not the Surface Pro, which I know nothing about.

• Reply 110 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I think you are jumping the gun if you think the Surface Pro will match the performance of a MBP. Adobe is about to launch the retina version of the Adobe suite for Mac which will make it the best version on all platforms.

I am NOT talking about a surface pro, but about ultrabooks. Jeez.

• Reply 111 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by foodmetaphors View Post

With regard to the iPad's storage size, it really wouldn't be a horrible idea to go 32-64-128, at least on the 9.7" size.  It would further differentiate it from the iMini, especially when/if it also gets a RD.. and then there's the fact that there would be more room for storing things.. things bought in the App and iTunes stores.

Agreed. I could certainly use a 128GB version.

• Reply 112 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So do I. Your point is what? I can get about 30 movies on mine (first-gen 64, so maxes at 720). Thousands of high-res pictures. Countless songs. Dozens of apps, multiple gigabytes each. And huge books. 

If you use it for whatever light, you wouldn't even need internal storage beyond the OS. The iPad is meant to be actually used as a computer.

Except you can actually use the space in the iPad instead of half the space being taken up by the OS. But of course you're ignoring this because you couldn't care less about having all the facts; same as in the use case of a 16 GB iPad.

I believe a 64GB iPad has 57GB available for user files. Which, I assume, means that a 16GB iPad DOES have half the space reserved.

• Reply 113 of 147
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    igriv wrote: »
    I wonder how much she got for that tweet...

Yeah. Oprah endorsing Surface... LOL. As much cred as Amy Winehouse endorsing rehab centres (RIP Amy!).
    jragosta wrote: »
    That seems a little extreme. If you're otherwise happy with Windows, just turn off all the silly tiles and eye candy and Windows 8 can be made to operate just about like Windows 7...

Hence why bother with Windows 8.
  • Reply 114 of 147
    freerange wrote: »
    This from someone still using a G4? You are in a distinct minority.

Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to change that. Im actually running a MBPro early 2011 model now. Im running Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 115 of 147
    Has Microsoft been doing you lately?
    Oh, and everything MS DOES IS LATE.

Better late than never:-)
  • Reply 116 of 147

I believe a 64GB iPad has 57GB available for user files. Which, I assume, means that a 16GB iPad DOES have half the space reserved.

The gibibyte/gigabyte schism is still in effect. Account for that, too.

• Reply 117 of 147
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    It's *already* DOA, but this time in a more expensive version. 

Bravo, Microstupid. Maybe your *next* CEO (if there ever will be one any time soon) will actually have vision that is less than 3 years out of date, and more than 5 feet beyond his personal space. 

But then the TV ads wouldn't show lots of kids doing a Monkey Dance while holding a Surface. Without Monkey Boy where would Microstupid turn for such genius in marketing DOA products?
  • Reply 118 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Yeah. Oprah endorsing Surface... LOL. As much cred as Amy Winehouse endorsing rehab centres (RIP Amy!).

Hence why bother with Windows 8.

Lol... you missed the "twitter for iPad" part.

• Reply 119 of 147

Quote:

I remember when I bought the iPad 1 -- I really had hopes that I would stop lugging the laptop around. Never happened, now I carry both (well, not the iPad 1, but you know what I mean, as well as an iPhone). I am sure so do many of the rest of the people here, and this is the problem MS has tried to solve. Their solution may not be great, but they are right that there is a problem.

Actually, there isn't a problem, there's the misconception that there's a problem, and the Surface is an ill conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If you thought the iPad was going to replace your laptop, you misunderstood both the iPad and your work. If you think the Surface is going to replace your iPad and your laptop, you're still confused about what they and you do. The Surface is a bastardized, hybrid device that will be a crappy laptop and a crappy tablet, not working well as either.

They've already cut orders for the RT by half, and they may not even sell what they make. The Pro sales will be even more anemic. Beyond that, Windows Phone is just waiting to have the ventilator removed, and Windows 8 desktop will be a failure on a scale that will make Vista look like a glowing success. Not even Ballmer will survive the coming maelstrom in Redmond.

• Reply 120 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, there isn't a problem, there's the misconception that there's a problem, and the Surface is an ill conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

If you thought the iPad was going to replace your laptop, you misunderstood both the iPad and your work. If you think the Surface is going to replace your iPad and your laptop, you're still confused about what they and you do. The Surface is a bastardized, hybrid device that will be a crappy laptop and a crappy tablet, not working well as either.

They've already cut orders for the RT by half, and they may not even sell what they make. The Pro sales will be even more anemic. Beyond that, Windows Phone is just waiting to have the ventilator removed, and Windows 8 desktop will be a failure on a scale that will make Vista look like a glowing success. Not even Ballmer will survive the coming maelstrom in Redmond.

Why don't you think there is a problem? Do you LIKE carrying several devices around? As for the Surface, did you read my post? I am not saying that the surface is the solution (or the good solution, anyhow), but hopefully, someone somewhere will come up with one.