First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

That is a first for Apple, I think. But flip-flop stacking could save ~10-20% in shipping volume and, consequently, shipping costs?

It's also considerably lighter and smaller than the previous iMac box so total savings could be extensive.

msimpson wrote: »
    "totally redesigned"?   not really.   the iMac is a great machine, the new ones are the nicest versions of this line so far, but this is not a total redesign,..

Switching from Bondi blue plastic with a CRT to an LCD panel in an aluminum case on a pedestal was a total redesign.   

The new version of the iMacs are certainly sweet computers, but I think I will hold out for one with a thinner edge.  

Still using an LCD panel doesn't mean it's not a complete redesign. You're only looking at the exterior design in your example. I bet most people would say the iPhone 4G was a bigger redesign over the original than the iPhone 5 from the 4S, but they'd be wrong. The iPhone 3G was pretty much the same internal components from the original but with a new casing.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "totally redesigned"?   not really.   the iMac is a great machine, the new ones are the nicest versions of this line so far, but this is not a total redesign,..

Switching from Bondi blue plastic with a CRT to an LCD panel in an aluminum case on a pedestal was a total redesign.   

The new version of the iMacs are certainly sweet computers, but I think I will hold out for one with a thinner edge.  
    Why do people always seem equate design with asthetics only? I'm sure when Apple uses the word redesigned they're not just referring to how it looks.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    A couple pics I spotted on macrumors. Looks sweet. I especially like that the display has less glare.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/17012/[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/17013/[/IMG]
  • Reply 24 of 66

Video of first iMac purchasers

http://youtu.be/tmJJoQOAKvw

• Reply 25 of 66
    iFixit teardown in 3, 2, 1....
  • Reply 26 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

You're kidding, right?

solipsismx wrote: »
    The iPhone 3G was pretty much the same internal components from the original but with a new casing.

The radio wasn't new? Or did they just enable 3G? Wasn't the CPU faster too?
  • Reply 27 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You're kidding, right?

Apparently 5mm is just too thick! image

/

/

/

• Reply 28 of 66
    jeffdm wrote: »
    You're kidding, right?

Higher clock speed but pretty much the same ASIC. Of course they added the 3G chips, hence my 'pretty much' statement. Overall it's was once of the least significant YoY changes to the iPhone from an engineering standpoint.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jeffdm wrote: »

You can get the specs for the various iPhone models here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

It's true that (other than the radio and the case) the iPhone 3G wasn't all that different from the original iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You can get the specs for the various iPhone models here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
    It's true that (other than the radio and the case) the iPhone 3G wasn't all that different from the original iPhone.

I was looking at that page before I posed the question. That page isn't very clear on the questions I asked. It would seem to me there was a CPU die shrink at least, if the battery capacity really did drop as that page says.
  • Reply 31 of 66

was thinking, with the imac getting so small, you could add a small battery from the macbook air, so that it had backup power supply. 

• Reply 32 of 66
    was thinking, with the imac getting so small, you could add a small battery from the macbook air, so that it had backup power supply. 

You could, but I wouldn't want that. If the power goes out the internet also goes out so the average user would be dead in the water anyway. If it's about saving data Mac OS is very good about saving instantly so have a battery backup so you can first save documents is mostly a pointless act with a modern OS. Finally, those who are buying iMacs probably live in areas where frequent and random power outages don't occur.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    The new IMac is beautiful yet could have kept the optical drive most definitely thin just think back in time so many years a computers thinness would be the size of a room yet it's now as thin as a book. (Not to mention it can now display books).
  • Reply 34 of 66
    philboogie wrote: »
    So much for "Apple is doomed" Hey, it's still November, right?

Pfft. Still not on the Apple Online Store Australia.

Apple is going downhill. These past 6 months have been the worst launch of products in Apple's history.

Welcome to pre-Steve-Jobs.

If an Apple Authorised Reseller did this kind of stuff a few years ago we'd be crucified by Apple HQ.

Now Apple itself is like this.

It won't last long, at this rate Apple is going.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

A couple pics I spotted on macrumors. Looks sweet. I especially like that the display has less glare.

Steve Lives!

• Reply 36 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

iFixit teardown in 3, 2, 1....

Close, but no banana:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154707/redesigned-imac-gets-teardown-treatment-hours-after-launch

• Reply 37 of 66
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    I popped into the Apple Store near me in the Sydney suburbs this arvo (ca. 3:45) and there weren't no new iMacs!

I asked one of the staff where they where and she said that they were out the back, having been delivered this morning; and that they would be unpacking them for display this evening. I could still buy one if I wanted, though. She also said no date yet on the 27".

If it gets too hot here tomorrow I might go in and have a look, where it's also nice and cool (we don't have a/c).
  • Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

I popped into the Apple Store near me in the Sydney suburbs this arvo (ca. 3:45) and there weren't no new iMacs!

I asked one of the staff where they where and she said that they were out the back, having been delivered this morning; and that they would be unpacking them for display this evening. I could still buy one if I wanted, though. She also said no date yet on the 27".

If it gets too hot here tomorrow I might go in and have a look, where it's also nice and cool (we don't have a/c).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Pfft. Still not on the Apple Online Store Australia.

Apple is going downhill. These past 6 months have been the worst launch of products in Apple's history.

Welcome to pre-Steve-Jobs.

It won't last long, at this rate Apple is going.

“Most of our lives are crucified between two thieves, yesterday and tomorrow. We never live today. But the time to live is now. It is today.”

A wise man once said, "Patience is a virtue. Especially when waiting for the arrival of the new iMac. Enjoy tomorrow."

• Reply 39 of 66
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Live on OZ Apple Store now. YAY!
    $240 for extra 8GB RAM. BOO!
  • Reply 40 of 66
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    alexn wrote: »

Yup. AppleFail. Perth official Apple Store no display models but they are selling it, one guy was setting up his new 21".

The 21" is absolutely beautiful and a tribute to the genius and remarkable qualities of Steve Job's Apple and his team.

On the 21" the "chin" is a bit too large though, seems disproportionate.

All in all, I reiterate that this roll out is far, far below Apple standards. This kind of stuff requires their usual black curtains the night before and proper roll-out.

This is haphazard and sloppy, the disturbing thing is that it has been happening way too often lately.

Steve Jobs said "Focus is not about saying 'Yes'. Focus is about saying 'No'".

They should have done a moderate iMac refresh and be ready for the new iMac when the time was right.

This is not a good sign for Apple overall. They're acting like they have a limited pipeline of awesome stuff because Steve isn't around anymore.

That said, I love my first-world-problems lifestyle now. The first country in the world to get the new iMac, and it's in my city, and I'm still bitching about it! Ha Ha... I love it!