Foxconn seeks expansion to US as Apple gears up for made-in-America Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    As DigiTimes pointed out a few weeks age, Foxconn wants to build TV panels in the U.S., I think it was 80 to above 100 inches in size. Possibly for Apple?

Edit: I may be mixing two stories together, can't check right now, and just [B]assuming[/B] that the U.S. manufacturing would be about their announced intention to make large TVs.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    I bet it'll be a "right to work" state.
  • Reply 23 of 49

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Racist.

In what capacity?

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

As DigiTimes pointed out a few weeks age, Foxconn wants to build TV panels in the U.S., I think it was 80 to above 100 inches in size. Possibly for Apple?

Better be SHV, otherwise the pixels will be too large to look at.

• Reply 24 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's $1 B off the U.S. trade deficit (or more, depending on which product they produce).

Then there'd only be $281B to go to even us up with China.

http://www.ustr.gov/countries-regions/china

• Reply 25 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Better be SHV, otherwise the pixels will be too large to look at.

I believe the story used the brilliant term "Ultra HD".
  • Reply 26 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Unions have their place but some get out of control, the UAW is a prime example of a Union that is out of control, corrupt and frankly not operating in the best interests of the people that it is supposedly protecting.   

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Exactly, car assembly workers are the whole problem with locating in Detroit.    There are plenty of places within the US where new factories could be located without getting involved with the ignorance of the UAW work force.   I'm not against unions here, I'm against unions that protect lazy shiftless workers and in general do more harm with respect to the companies that employee their worker than good.

You fooled me.  I thought you were against unions in general. 

Being from the area, I agree that they are generally overpaid and spoiled, and given to whining, but while some are "lazy and shiftless," most are not.  As for them doing harm to companies, GM does plenty of harm to themselves with their lazy, shiftless, and ignorant executives.  If you put GM's management in charge of selling heroin, they would fu[k that up, too.  A bunch of entitled pricks is what they are.  I know several engineers employed at GM, and they say it's a constant struggle to keep good ideas from getting killed by management.  Many a promising prototype has been killed when an excutive has seen it and freaked because the styling isn't conservative enough, or the dashboard is "too boring", i.e., functional.  

Bad management doesn't really come into this discussion.   Hell even Apple has suffered through some really significant management blunders.    The problem with going to Detroit is that you end up supporting a culture that isn't conducive to manufacturing in the USA.   Frankly the area hasn't suffered enough to break the mindset of the Union workers there.   

• Reply 27 of 49

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I believe the story used the brilliant term "Ultra HD".

Normally I consider the Japanese penchant for English superlatives unprofessional at best (and a little silly at worst), but I really like the name "Super Hi-Vision", and it lends itself well to a disambiguous acronym where "HD" is concerned.

"Ah, is that panel HD? 4K?"

"No, it's SHV!"

• Reply 28 of 49

I think this is awesome. As someone who tries to buy as much as possibly made in USA, I will be looking forward to owning whatever product they decide to make here. Let hope this is just the beginning and they continue to make/assemble more products in the US.

• Reply 29 of 49

In my experience, the younger generation of  UAW members aren't as demanding as previous ones.  They know they can't expect the same sort of pay and benefits.  There are plenty of skilled unemployed workers in the area who would love the chance to work at an Apple assembly line, and I'd bet they would go non-union if that's what it took.  Before 2008 I'd have agreed with you about the mindset that needed "breaking", but not now.  GM's near-liquidation was a moment of truth for everyone involved.  

I only brought bad management into it because I don't believe all of the American auto industry's problems can be blamed on unions.  Unions are often scapegoated by bad managers who don't take a lick of responsibility for any of their colossal eff ups (looking at GM's management while I type this).  Apple would bring an entirely different management culture to the area and thus we wouldn't see the same old dance between unions and management that we get with the UAW and GM (which is now changing, albeit too slowly).

Anyways, I don't believe Apple is moving to this area, because I don't think they could keep it quiet.  A new manufacturing facility in SE Michigan would just be too much news to go without notice.  

• Reply 30 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by trobbi33 View Post

I think this is awesome. As someone who tries to buy as much as possibly made in USA, I will be looking forward to owning whatever product they decide to make here. Let hope this is just the beginning and they continue to make/assemble more products in the US.

Same here.  I hope it's the new Mac Pro - I'd love to own a Mac Pro made in America.  It would be cool to lord it over all my rah rah Made In America relatives who are hard-core PC users.  Heh.

I'd buy it at an Apple Store just so I could drive it home in my Volt!

• Reply 31 of 49

Quote:

Same here.  I hope it's the new Mac Pro - I'd love to own a Mac Pro made in America.  It would be cool to lord it over all my rah rah Made In America relatives who are hard-core PC users.  Heh.

I believe you meant to say "drive it home un my Toyota Avalon" ;)

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11603343/11/auto-show-take-a-look-at-some-cars.html )

• Reply 32 of 49
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Que the greedy slave-driving shareholders opposed...
  • Reply 33 of 49

The problem we have is that the area demonstrated clearly that the mind set hasn't changed at all, after all most of Detroit voted for Obama.   You may see that as political and frankly it is but it highlights the expectation of the area.    It is still very much a give me culture.    It would have been far better for the area to see GM liquidated as it would have sent shock waves through both the UAW and the management rank in the auto industry.

In any event I have a problem with trying to tie the issues related to the UAW with the management of GM.   There is no mistaking the idea that the Management team at GM sucks.   They have pretty clearly screwed up the company but frankly that really has nothing to do with just how bad of an idea it would be to locate a new business in the Detroit area.   

As to Apple they would bring nothing to the area.   Cook clearly stated that they would not be building anything but would continue to maintain a relationship with a contractor.   In effect your would see a Foxconn style management practices.   As to the song and dance with the Unions, you can't say that at all, as I indicated before it is the mentality of the area to be at odds with management.   The issues with poor work ethic would not go away, nor would the issues with unions protecting undesirable workers.   Frankly it would be absolutely ugly as Foxconn struggles to get any sort of productivity out of the plant.

Again this wouldn't be Apple moving into the area, it would be Foxconn.   I'm still not convinced it is in Apple best interest to locate a factory in the US for political reasons.    Making business moves for political reasons seldom works out well in the long run.    Diversifying manufacturing is sound business though but you need to choose locations where it won't be an uphill battle.   In that regard almost anyplace other than Detroit would work out better.

Quote:

In my experience, the younger generation of  UAW members aren't as demanding as previous ones.  They know they can't expect the same sort of pay and benefits.  There are plenty of skilled unemployed workers in the area who would love the chance to work at an Apple assembly line, and I'd bet they would go non-union if that's what it took.  Before 2008 I'd have agreed with you about the mindset that needed "breaking", but not now.  GM's near-liquidation was a moment of truth for everyone involved.  

I only brought bad management into it because I don't believe all of the American auto industry's problems can be blamed on unions.  Unions are often scapegoated by bad managers who don't take a lick of responsibility for any of their colossal eff ups (looking at GM's management while I type this).  Apple would bring an entirely different management culture to the area and thus we wouldn't see the same old dance between unions and management that we get with the UAW and GM (which is now changing, albeit too slowly).

Anyways, I don't believe Apple is moving to this area, because I don't think they could keep it quiet.  A new manufacturing facility in SE Michigan would just be too much news to go without notice.  

• Reply 34 of 49

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by trobbi33 View Post

If a American built Mac Pro float your boat, you might just get it.   The Mac Pro seems to be the most likely candidate for being American built followed closely by the Mini.   Actually if you combine this rumor with the idea of an all new Mac Pro next year we could be seeing something radically different machine wise.   I can't see the current Mac Pro being something that is optimized for mass production so maybe Apple takes a new approach with this machine.   Dare I say they will make the Mac Pro easier to assembly for Americans.

As for that Chevy Volt purchase I hope you don't live to regret that buy.   

• Reply 35 of 49
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Apple has long led in automated assembly. The guy who led the Classic Mac automated assembly project went on to do the same for the Iridium communications satellite where for coverage purposes the system required so many that "mass production" had to be implemented rather than the then-standard, hand made.

• Reply 36 of 49
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    put the assembly line for imacs in the Now defunct plant for Twinkies... LOL
  • Reply 37 of 49
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Normally I consider the Japanese penchant for English superlatives unprofessional at best (and a little silly at worst), but I really like the name "Super Hi-Vision", and it lends itself well to a disambiguous acronym where "HD" is concerned.

"Ah, is that panel HD? 4K?"

"No, it's SHV!"

and coming soon to BEST BUY... the new quote "I just SHV'ed a customer!"... LOL
  • Reply 38 of 49

Originally Posted by haar View Post

and coming soon to BEST BUY... the new quote "I just SHV'ed a customer!"... LOL

Provided Best Buy isn't insolvent by the time SHV televisions are available. image

• Reply 39 of 49
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 40 of 49
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Provided Best Buy isn't insolvent by the time SHV televisions are available. :lol:

Yeah really. At the rate they're going.