iPad mini ad impressions growing 28% per day, outperforms last year's Kindle Fire

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A month after hitting store shelves, Apple's iPad mini is showing 28 percent growth in ad impressions per day, beating the performance of last year's hot-selling Amazon Kindle Fire, says one mobile advertising firm.

iPad mini

In a study tracking device impressions within the first month of a product's sales, Millennial Media saw the iPad mini net a daily growth of 28 percent, trouncing Amazon's Kindle Fire which saw a 19 percent daily growth rate over the same period last year.

Just as in 2011, many electronic devices will be sitting under Christmas trees worldwide, waiting to be unwrapped, but the initial user base has already made an impact on the advertising firm's platform.

"Every holiday season there seems to be one particular item that stands out as the 'must have gift' of the year, and in 2012, early figures lead us to believe that this could be the iPad mini," writes Millennial Media SVP of Global Monetization Solutions Matt Gillis. "Truth be told, don?t tell my kids but there are already two sitting under our tree at home."

From the data, the firm expects the overall number of tablet-using consumers will significantly increase without cannibalizing sales of other tablets. Citing a November report from Nielsen, the ad company notes a strong interest from children for both the full-size iPad and iPad mini, illustrating the smaller tablet is more likely to add new users than take away from the existing an potential user base.

Another takeaway from the mini's strong out-of-the-gate performance is consumer demand for tablets of multiple sizes. The firm sees the success of the smaller iPad as confirmation of high interest from users looking to engage with tablets of various sizes, a trend first established by devices like Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire.

iPad mini Ad Impressions
Source: Millennial Media

The forward-looking estimate is in line with a November report that saw the iPad mini taking a sizable chunk out of the PC market while leaving the existing full-size model largely untouched.

Apple debuted the iPad mini at a special event in October, and immediately saw high demand as preorders for all available models sold out within hours of going live. The company later announced three million iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad units were sold over the two tablets' launch weekend.

It was reported last week that supply was finally catching up with demand as U.S. shipment dates for the device improved for the first time since launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    it will be interesting in January to see how many college kids show up with the mini as opposed to this year's iPad population.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would get a "full-sized" (actually "stupidly large") iPad when they could get a mini.
  • Reply 2 of 37

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

it will be interesting in January to see how many college kids show up with the mini as opposed to this year's iPad population.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would get a "full-sized" (actually "stupidly large") iPad when they could get a mini.

You mention college kids and then you knock the only iPad on which you can actually type?

That's pretty funny.

• Reply 3 of 37
    You think the mini craze is crazy now?
    Wait until next when it goes retina and A6. All hell will break loose up in this bi***!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    What I'm wondering is how they've collected this data? As far as I know the iPad Mini doesn't have it's own identifier, but rather just identifies as a regular iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beloved View Post

What I'm wondering is how they've collected this data? As far as I know the iPad Mini doesn't have it's own identifier, but rather just identifies as a regular iPad.

They toss dice...

• Reply 6 of 37

Originally Posted by Beloved View Post

Model Identifier, which can be collected by websites, I believe.

• Reply 7 of 37
    I want to see a 6.3" hand held iMac with a full sized gaming card, and a 27" iPad super mini. Oh yeah and a Mac Refrigeroaster™
  • Reply 8 of 37
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mention college kids and then you knock the only iPad on which you can actually type?

That's pretty funny.

I can type faster on the mini than the full-sized one already.  Easier to type, easier to hold, easier to carry etc.  

I'll turn your own argument about why the mini shouldn't exist at all back on you (paraphrased) ... "There is nothing that the larger iPad can do that the mini can't do so there isn't a reason for the large one to exist at all." 

• Reply 9 of 37
    gazoobee wrote: »

I agree. Since I have the mini my iPad 3 feels clunky and heavy, icons much too big. On spite of the lower resolution screen I actually prefer reading on the mini due to its lightness.
  • Reply 10 of 37

"There is nothing that the larger iPad can do that the mini can't do so there isn't a reason for the large one to exist at all." 

Touch type with ten fingers, like on a proper computer.

• Reply 11 of 37
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

For around the house, the iPad is simply great and crushes the mini IMO.  If you plan of taking it out and about, however, the mini has very distinct advantages.

• Reply 12 of 37
    I think it will quickly outpace the iPad 4th generation (If it has not already). I have had mine for about two weeks now and my wife's iPad 2 (lightest full size iPad) feels like a brick. I find myself using the mini more often and taking it more places that I did the original iPad.

I got the 4G LTE (Verizon) version. Having 4G built in is great!!!! In the past I have often used my phone to do wifi tether for my laptop. Using WiFi tether on a smart phone will deplete the battery quite quickly. The iPad can do this for several hours and still have power left. I know the larger iPad can do this as well, but this is so much more portable.

I can type as easily on the mini as I could my original iPad. I see little difference in usability when using the smart cover as a typing stand. In fact it is easer to type on when holding the device. When you hold it in portrait mode, you can easily type with your thumbs. Something difficult to do on the larger iPad. With the iPad It was very difficult yo take notes while standing. In my work, i visit many manufacturing plants. I need to be able to walk around a plant at take notes or add annotations to photos. The iPad is perfect for this.

My biggest worry with the Mini was how well I could read text on the device. My 48 year old eyes are not that great. I was happy to find that I could read just about all of the text on most web sites and documents with or without my glasses or contacts.

If Apple can put a rental display in the Mini and not add weight or sacrifice battery life, it will be the perfect tablet in my opinion. I would not turn down a retinal display, but I definitely would not want it if it adds much weight. The display looks great as it is.....

For me it is simply the best iPad to date.....
  • Reply 13 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It killed me to drop from a 15%u201D PowerBook to an 11%u201D Air... and now I%u2019d never look back.

I suspect the same will happen with the Mini. It might just be my next iPad, in 6-18 months when it goes retina.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

A college student is the best customer for the large iPad, as you call it, I would think. I personally prefer the full sized iPad.

• Reply 15 of 37
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A college student is the best customer for the large iPad, as you call it, I would think. I personally prefer the full sized iPad.

Each to their own. 

I bought the original iPad but sold it not long after - it was too big and heavy for me. Found myself using my MacBook Air or iPhone rather than the iPad. But the mini is the iPad I've been waiting for - just so much more comfortable to use and carry with me.

• Reply 16 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Meanwhile the stock keeps annoyingly stagnant... Ugh...

because Apple hasn't reinvented a market in like almost three years! What's wrong with them. Other companies have invented...um...copied Apple's lead all the time. oh.

• Reply 17 of 37

Quote:

I'll turn your own argument about why the mini shouldn't exist at all back on you (paraphrased) ... "There is nothing that the larger iPad can do that the mini can't do so there isn't a reason for the large one to exist at all." 

How about... The larger type on the full size iPad lets me read when I've forgotten my reading glasses. You'll see the benefits when your eyesight starts degrading.

• Reply 18 of 37

Quote:

I have both, have been to college (though longer ago than I'll admit here) ... And I don't see why a college kid would want to use a mini for college.   I love the mini as a grab-n-go, but no, I would not want to type notes or compose papers on it.

• Reply 19 of 37
    gazoobee wrote: »

Well, you already got many peoples view on this one, but I'll add mine nonetheless:

Perhaps people like the choice. Otherwise what's the reason for releasing a 27" iMac if they are already selling a smaller version?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Touch type with ten fingers, like on a proper computer.

1) The iPad isn't a "proper computer" either in the eyes of many folks you like to laugh at so having "proper computer" anywhere in the discussion is stupid.  If folks are using it as a computer it's a proper computer.

2) You can touch type with ten fingers on the mini as well as you can on the full sized.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/11/11-of-the-best-ipad-mini-keyboards-list.html

I use my iPad for work and the BT keyboard is IMHO pretty much a must for fast note taking.  

The iPad mini with keyboard is still a smaller form factor than the 11" MBA.