Premium iPhone share growing as consumers choose iPhone 5 over Apple's legacy models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58

You'll probably notice a lot of posts got deleted. I'm sick of that crap. "That crap" being blatant lies and willful idiocy (not ignorance) in the face of truth. There's no sense in it, and arguments thereafter only ever devolve into semantics and arguments about the act of arguing itself.

Best to just report the lies when you see them.

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

People wanted the larger screen last year and it didn't happen. As well as the 4S sold I still believe it could have been much better had Apple chosen a 4" screen last year.

This cannot be proven by any means, nor can your other supposition about the reasons for purchasing the iPhone 5 be proven.

Originally Posted by island hermit 

Also remember there is nothing to prove that I am not right.

The ability to read any language created by human civilization can prove you wrong. That's why it didn't need to even be said, you know? One might think you're just trolling.

• Reply 42 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) If we assume they'll follow the same pattern of keeping the same case design for the 5S and they will include NFC one solution could be to make the back panel out of RF transparent LiquidMetal. Is that in any way practical? Is LiquidMetal finally ready for primetime? Is NFC finally ready for Apple to step in and make it something that everyone finally want and uses? Is a redesign likely after one iteration? Are there other viable solutions not yet stated?

2) I think the iPhone can improve in performance in many areas. Going with a full Cortex-A15-like CPU, wider memory bandwidth like in the iPad 3 and 4, Rogue 6 GPU, faster LTE and WiFi (by an additional antenna and/or 802.11ac), and perhaps most important, faster NAND, which could also allow for the Thunderbolt connector to send/receive much faster simply by using faster NAND.

1) Apple will likely keep the same case design, and although I agree changing the back panel to incorporate NFC isn't likely, I do still believe NFC can be a worthwhile feature if Apple uses their massive clout with retailers to get a full system in place to utilize it. It's a feature that, if it comes with the right ecosystem, could be groundbreaking.

2) All the features you listed matter squat to most consumers. Yes an iPhone with improved internals is welcome, but those improved internals MUST come with a vastly improved feature-set, and Apple knows this. For the 4S the "big" feature wasn't an A5 chip it was Siri, and Siri has now become a buzzword in media and on TV. So even for a hypothetical 5S Apple will have to add a feature with that amount of pizazz or more, to keep consumers interested.

• Reply 43 of 58

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

It's a feature that, if it comes with the right ecosystem, could be groundbreaking.

That's the thing: forcing companies to do something they haven't done in 50 years (change), in an industry that doesn't like to ever change in the first place, is insanely difficult. And Apple will be entering this field having zero ties to it whatsoever from their previous industries.

• Reply 44 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'll probably notice a lot of posts got deleted. I'm sick of that crap. "That crap" being blatant lies and willful idiocy (not ignorance) in the face of truth. There's no sense in it, and arguments thereafter only ever devolve into semantics and arguments about the act of arguing itself.

Best to just report the lies when you see them.

This cannot be proven by any means, nor can your other supposition about the reasons for purchasing the iPhone 5 be proven.

The ability to read any language created by human civilization can prove you wrong. That's why it didn't need to even be said, you know? One might think you're just trolling.

Lies? What horseshit.

If we were to delete every post where someone talks about why they "believe" one thing or another happened then you'd be deleting the vast majority of everything on this site... including the articles. This is a "rumor" site. Show me the truth in a rumor.

How about bullshit like... "they will never call it an iPhone 5" or "there is no valid reason to build an iPad Mini". My statements look like truth in comparison to the fuckups you bring to this site.

You should be removed as moderator. You're the biggest fucking troll on here.

• Reply 45 of 58

Quote:

That's the thing: forcing companies to do something they haven't done in 50 years (change), in an industry that doesn't like to ever change in the first place, is insanely difficult. And Apple will be entering this field having zero ties to it whatsoever from their previous industries.

Apple did it with music and movies equally difficult industries. As far as ties, if Apple could get every one of their authorized retailers to buy into their concept of electronic purchasing they'd have all of the top retailers in the world on their side. If anyone could change retail it would be Apple.

• Reply 46 of 58
    A smaller, cheaper iPhone nano that approaches the size of an iPod nano would be a huge hit. It could be the unsubsidized $300 phone Apple needs in the developing world, and be the phone of choice for young teens.

I was in an AT&T store recently and four other customers who were there were all buying iPhone 5s. Two were upgrades, two had what looked like Android devices. I asked the Android folks, why iPhone? The answer was the same. It was how beautiful the phone looked when compared to any other phone. They loved (one male, one female, unrelated) the build quality and feel. I asked about screen size, they said Apple's was perfect, and that the larger phones looked silly. Apparently, Apple knows what it is doing.
  • Reply 47 of 58

Lies? What horseshit.

*Size was the only thing that was truly different [about the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4S].

Yeah, how about that.

• Reply 48 of 58

Quote:

Yeah, how about that.

Read my explanation in the posts you deleted.

What were the differences between the 4 and the 4S?

What were the differences between the 4S and the 5?

when it comes right down to it the odd men out when those differences are compared side by side (as revised to include Solipsism's two changes):  size, more thin and lighter.

All the other "significant" changes were the same from the two columns.

... but you don't ask for explanations. You just call me a liar and get power hungry.

• Reply 49 of 58
    blackbook wrote: »
    I think a 5S would suffice if it has a special hardware feature such as NFC.  As far as iPhone hardware not much else can be done that would impress people. The 4 inch screen and LTE were the las big things Apple was missing and now that the 5 has that everything else is just gravy.

The biggest upgrades for the iPhone I see necessary are software upgrades. iOS needs an overhaul in much the same way Apple gave iTunes an overhaul.

For sales, if Apple really wants to make a splash in the phone industry, they have to look at the low end just like they did with the iPad Mini. They already own the high end but they need something new and special on the low end.

In my opinion, NFC can not exist in a vacuum. Near Field Communications for financial transactions requires improved security and a user interface.

I believe Apple has a few opportunities other than software but I agree there are seemingly few opportunities.

solipsismx wrote: »
    NFC would not be possible in this current design, according to AnandTech. The metal back makes it difficult for the NFC to create it's loop. Of course, Apple could use a different material and it surely doesn't have to use the same design for two full cycles, but so far that is the pattern we've seen twice before.

While I believe Anand is correct, he may not have considered the potential use of liquidmetal for the back plate antenna.

Piling on, NFC still hasn't hit critical mass, and I do think Apple will want to steer to Passbook and use scanners (more ubiquitous).   
    NFC has to hit a couple more security points before it should be utilized by the masses.

Prior to all that, I think the addition of biometric security on the touchscreen (fingerprint/capillary recognition) will be the 'next big' HW thing.   Pin + fingerprint (five moves to unlock) and an unlock with a fingerprint to permit payment (NFC, Bluetooth, PassBook scan of your Apple iTunes debit account) is as good as it gets for simple transactions.

In my opinion, NFC won't reach critical mass until Apple enters the field.

Passbook hasn't taken off either, and I believe that's partially because it's inconvenient and relatively hard to use for a novice user.

Apple needs an easy to use payment and card system that gets massive levels of support from retailers in order to have another tech revolution in smart phones. I think security will be essential for that system but security alone won't be the "next big" HW upgrade.

Security plus wallet features will come hand in hand and together will be the next big thing.

Without NFC I can't imagine Apple just adding faster chips to the 5S and expecting people to be impressed. The iPhone is fast enough already and it's time for Apple to think outside the box on upgrades.

But I believe like with the iPad the "Premium" iPhone is reaching a plateau and Apple's biggest opportunies will come from new lower end hardware (ala iPad Mini), and software (completely reimagined iOS)

While I agree that hardware development is plateauing, the the next generation iPhone may offer a few evolutionary features:
    • Apple A7 dual-core CPU
    • PowerVR Series 6 Rogue GPU
    • higher resolution camera
    • optical image stabilization
    • 802.11ac wi-fi
    • VoLTE support (software)
    • Additional tx antenna
    • NFC or Bluetooth SRFT
  • Reply 50 of 58

Well, that's a disappointment.

• Reply 51 of 58

What were the differences between the 4 and the 4S?

What were the differences between the 4S and the 5?

…when those differences are compared side by side:  size, more thin and lighter.

And this changes the point on which you were wrong in what capacity? Visual comparisons are the least meaningful, as shown time and again by dozens of trolls, but even that shows that what you said was wrong.

• Reply 52 of 58

If someone is trying to tell me that, if Apple had kept the same form factor with the 3.5" screen, replaced its guts with those found in the iPhone5, it would have sold in the numbers found with the 4" iPhone5.... well, I think that's ludicrous. Please note.... that is my belief.

• Reply 53 of 58

Quote:

And this changes the point on which you were wrong in what capacity? Visual comparisons are the least meaningful, as shown time and again by dozens of trolls, but even that shows that what you said was wrong.

What the **** are you talking about?

Can we not say why we believe that something occurs? Or is that banned as well. You better close down the site if that's the case.

... and you've never proved me wrong.

Besides that, yesterday I referenced a poll which found that people wanted larger screens than 3.5" and that 4" to 4.5" were desired.

http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=reportabstractviewer&a0=7194

... and I've read a few other polls, albeit from tech sites, that confirm that finding.

• Reply 54 of 58
    A smaller, cheaper iPhone nano that approaches the size of an iPod nano would be a huge hit. It could be the unsubsidized $300 phone Apple needs in the developing world, and be the phone of choice for young teens.

I agree that the low end is Apple's last big opportunity in the smartphone business because they have the mid to high end covered well.
  • Reply 55 of 58

Can we not say why we believe that something occurs? Or is that banned as well. You better close down the site if that's the case.

You didn't say that. You said "the size was the only change".

... and you've never proved me wrong.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Come on.

• Reply 56 of 58

Quote:

You didn't say that. You said "the size was the only change".

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Come on.

Just because you can't comprehend what I'm saying doesn't mean that I am wrong.

I have never said there weren't changes. I did say that the changes between models 4 to 4S and then 4S to 5 were the same other than screen size, weight and thinness.

As a matter of fact the changes between the 4 and 4S were significantly greater than the 4S to the 5 other than screen size, weight and thinness.

• Reply 57 of 58
    I bought an iP5 because it only had one side covered in breakable glass, not two; I didn't care about the larger screen - which in any case isn't a higher magnification, it just fits more in. So I upgraded from my iP3G which was now four years old. I guess there were a few more people who didn't like the idea of the iP4's double glass and they were finally able to upgrade from the 3 series directly to the 5.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    I still contend that the larger screens only came to be (ok, 80%+ reason) due to the need for larger batteries.