Dell exec warned Microsoft that Windows RT branding would confuse consumers

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    gtr wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.
    Please! No! It's too much fun having him around!
  • Reply 62 of 78

They just cant develop successful new brands. So MS keeps falling back on Windows. I am suprise it wasn't WinPod music player, WinBox gaming console, Winmail, Winsearch. Even as a Mac fan, i am sometimes mad and disappointed that they are failing so bad.

Losers

• Reply 63 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Very good point. But MicroSoft Motto is "Win-Dows-Eve-Ry-Where". Repeat after me ".....

... "Stupid is as stupid does."

• Reply 64 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

That is because Microsoft only knows how to produce what they want you to have and what they think you need while Apple produces what consumers want (exceptions excluded).

I think it's because Ballmer is not the right person to lead Microsoft.

• Reply 65 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

I'm wondering why this is any different from Windows CE?

With Windows CE, Microsoft actually looked viable. Now they look like clowns.

• Reply 66 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think it's because Ballmer is not the right person to lead Microsoft.

May Uncle Fester remain at the helm for a long long time...

• Reply 67 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xplatformer View Post

So people are going to try install and run a Windows app that's not available through the Windows store? Is that what you're saying people are going to try and do?

Do people really want to install OS X apps on their iPads? No?

Then why do people not seem to comprehend the reasoning behind RT? Its a tablet OS that shares certain usability features with Windows 8.

You need to understand that the average Windows customer is not the brightest bulb in the room... 

• Reply 68 of 78

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Windows RT =

Reaching, Tragically.

• Reply 69 of 78
    The fact that they want to run full Windows on a tablet means they still just don't get it!
  • Reply 70 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

MS could and should unify its ARM tablet, phone, and XBox OS all with the same consistent "Modern" UI. and totally leave out the legacy Windows UI crap they don't really use much anyway. that would be a well-defined ecosystem that would all reinforce each other and carve out some meaningful share of the overall markets.

The problem is that in order to sell any of these abortions they needed the lure of Office... and they borked the RT version of that so badly that they had to include the "legacy desktop mode" JUST to get office running on it. Originally RT wasn't meant to have desktop mode at all - in the end they were forced to include it just to support Office - no other apps will be able to use it as windows store apps are forced to use the ifkam (interface formally known as metro - I hate the phrase "modern ui").

The fact that Microsoft can't even get their own flagship office suite running in ifkam doesn't bode well for anyone else...

• Reply 71 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Does Rovio have to develop Angry Birds twice; for the RT and the 8 Surface?

It may not SOUND that much different than having to do it for iOS, then OS X, but it is. 

If your game makes $ on iOS, it can pay for the follow-on OS X development if necessary. 

Plus by now your people are iOS experts.

Here, Rovio must say, "Does it have a prayer of selling on either one?"

It seems bad for developers.

I have released several apps for Windows 8/RT now.  It takes no extra work to develop for both.  All you do is write the app once and for the target CPU  just select all then build and it creates an app package that will work on Windows RT and Windows 8 32bit and 64bit.

Also say what you want about the platform but the development tools are excellent.

• Reply 72 of 78
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

DaveMcM76 View Post

Originally RT wasn't meant to have desktop mode at all - in the end they were forced to include it just to support Office - no other apps will be able to use it as windows store apps are forced to use the ifkam (interface formally known as metro - I hate the phrase "modern ui").

The fact that Microsoft can't even get their own flagship office suite running in ifkam doesn't bode well for anyone else...

That's the fiefdom at work. The Office team has traditionally steered Windows UI; Windows Explorer does have a ribbon now...

qualar View Post

I have released several apps for Windows 8/RT now.  It takes no extra work to develop for both.  All you do is write the app once and for the target CPU  just select all then build and it creates an app package that will work on Windows RT and Windows 8 32bit and 64bit.

Also say what you want about the platform but the development tools are excellent.

That's fine for developers. Are users still required to choose which binary to download? As in:

• 32 bit for Windows XP SP3

• 32 bit for Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7

• 64 bit for Windows XP SP3

• 64 bit for Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7

• 32 bit for .NET Framework

etc, add on for Windows RT / Windows 8 / 32 / 64.

The goal should be to make that invisible to users. Mac OS X apps have been universal binary since 2005, containing up to four architectures in a single package (32/64 PPC/x86), silently executing the appropriate one. iOS is the same with iPad/iPhone binaries, for the most part; There are still a handful of games that use the old 'App' vs 'App HD' model.

• Reply 73 of 78
    Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, RT

I don't understand how anyone could be confused, the pattern is obvious. Much more logical than the whole sequential numbering system Apple uses for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 74 of 78

Originally Posted by Creek0512 View Post

Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8 (and RT, too!)

It's more of a cheesy 1980s cartoon sidekick than a real operating system.

• Reply 75 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote (Creek0512):

Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, RT

I don't understand how anyone could be confused, the pattern is obvious. ...

LOL.  And don't forget Windows NT, 98SE, 2000, and ME.

Must be a method in the madness.  Somewhere.

• Reply 76 of 78
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualar View Post

[...]

And how's that Windows Phone 7 + Windows Phone 8 + Surface with RT + Surface with Windows 8 Pro write-once thing going?

Yeah, thought so.  Sucks, doesn't it?

It's easy to build universal apps for iPhone + iPod touch + iPad + iPad mini.  For iOS 5 and 6.

You should try it some time.  Save you a lot of hassle.  And there's a vastly bigger user base.

• Reply 77 of 78
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

The general public usually refers to Microsoft's next console as "XBox 720," but one wonders what odd naming convention it will actually bring to the table next year. XBox RT?

My money is on a focus group being paid an exorbitant sum to find a word representing today's modern hardcore casual youthful mature gamer, and tack it onto the brand name. Add a dash of riding Apple's recent branding coattails, and you have the "XBox Storm."

Then we add various configurations, each with their own variation:

• "XBox Storm with Eye Of The Storm Kinect v2.0"

• "XBox Hurricane Storm 4K," supporting the next generation of HDTVs.

• "XBox Sprinkle" is the 360 Arcade model's successor, equally crippled with 4GB of storage.

• Finally, "XBox Tornado," the smaller hardware variant that comes two years later, once they work all the bugs out.

SockRolid View Post

And don't forget Windows NT, 98SE, 2000, and ME.

Well, I had managed to forget Windows ME until now. Thanks a lot, you ruined m'day.

• Reply 78 of 78

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Finally, "XBox Tornado," the smaller hardware variant that comes two years later, once they work all the bugs out.

And which still red rings.

What a wonderful naming scheme you've created: it's probably the most accurate of any before. 

"Xbox Storm wreaks havoc on Microsoft's servers." "Xbox Tornado is a devastating failure." "Xbox Hurricane floods call center with problems."