Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    allenbf wrote: »
    Google scanning my hard drive? Seems innocent and safe enough.
    /s

Trust Google. Trust Eric Schmidt. Trust Larry Page.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Great first post <span style="color:rgb(78,78,78);font-family:'Myriad Pro', 'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;">????</span>

He forgot, "I love Apple, but..."
  • Reply 23 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I will give you the Gmail App (not that I use Gmail anymore), but Safari is better in my opinion. I do wish Apple would put the tabs on top. I use the reader function and off line reading a lot. Moreover, according to Little Snitch Chrome tried to call home every five minutes. 

I just wish Apple would update Safari for Windoze.  I have to use Windoze at work and my options are Chrome or IE.  Let's be honest, IE doesn't work half the time so my options are Chrome.

Less than thrilled but I can't get any others.

• Reply 24 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    This is one case I really don't see a problem with this "copying" unless there is a legitimate copyright, patent or trademark being violated that I'm not seeing here.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

C'mon, Apple, please bring out your best. I've used Safari very little since Chrome came out for iOS. 

We had to delete Chrome off all our work computers, the reason, it made our locked down systems susceptible to Trojans, someone missed the company wide memo to uninstall this trash.

The trojan that required tech support to pay a visit yesterday in order to perform a clean install of Windows as it could not be done remotely, was a nasty piece of work called XP Defender 2013

Common infection symptoms:

• Blocks internet connection

• Block exe files from running

• Installs itself without permissions

• Connects to the internet without permission

• Normal system programs crash immediatelly

• Slow internet connection

• System crashes

• Annoying Pop-up's

• Slow Computer

Now we use Firefox, after initially trialling Chrome, to run more modern training modules based on Flash and HTML 5 on our XP based systems which need IE6 (recently made to run in a VM) to run legacy programs.

On iOS I prefer Safari, if only for reader.

• Reply 26 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I just wish Apple would update Safari for Windoze.  I have to use Windoze at work and my options are Chrome or IE.  Let's be honest, IE doesn't work half the time so my options are Chrome.

If the bolded is true, the world has changed a lot in the past decade.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    We had to delete Chrome off all our work computers, the reason, it made our locked down systems susceptible to Trojans, someone missed the company wide memo to uninstall this trash.

The trojan that required tech support to pay a visit yesterday in order to perform a clean install of Windows as it could not be done remotely, was a nasty piece of work called XP Defender 2013

<span style="font-family:Arial, Tahoma;font-size:12px;font-weight:bold;line-height:normal;">Common infection symptoms:</span>

<ul style="font-family:Arial, Tahoma;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;"> [*] Blocks internet connection
    [*] Block exe files from running
    [*] Installs itself without permissions
    [*] Connects to the internet without permission
    [*] Normal system programs crash immediatelly
    [*] Slow internet connection
    [*] System crashes
    [*] Annoying Pop-up's
    [*] Slow Computer
    </ul>

Now we use Firefox, after initially trialling Chrome, to run more modern training modules based on Flash and HTML 5 on our XP based systems which need IE6 (recently made to run in a VM) to run legacy programs.

On iOS I prefer Safari, if only for reader.

I'm not seeing how that is a Chrome issue. If it's about giving users access to installers you can always push the Chrome MSI to systems at regular intervals so the user isn't running the updates themselves. Google makes an enterprise version just for that purpose. There is also Chrome Frame which will give you the IE app with the Chrome WebKit engine which I find to be a great fit, especially on newer versions of IE.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    This should provide Apple with leverage in its talks with media distributors. Either they will pull the rug out from under Google or offer equal terms to Apple. Should be interesting to watch.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not seeing how that is a Chrome issue. If it's about giving users access to installers you can always push the Chrome MSI to systems at regular intervals so the user isn't running the updates themselves. Google makes an enterprise version just for that purpose. There is also Chrome Frame which will give you the IE app with the Chrome WebKit engine which I find to be a great fit, especially on newer versions of IE.

We use what the company gives us, we cannot install anything, clearly Chrome provided an in for the trojan, probably by allowing the installation of Java (which is no longer installed) in it's "sandbox" by posing as a plug in.

These PC's are locked down tight, obviously the AV they use doesn't work too well.

It's fixed, it's not my problem.

• Reply 30 of 62

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Trust Google. Trust Eric Schmidt. Trust Larry Page.

"Each man is a god… each man is free…"

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If the bolded is true, the world has changed a lot in the past decade.

Yeah, Internet Explorer has gotten a heck of a lot better!

• Reply 31 of 62
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Apple really should be alarmed at this stage of the game. Google clearly is setting up a very strong HALO effect with regard to apps and services to grab potential buyers from Apple.

-Gmail

-YouTube

-Maps

-Play Music

-Drive

-Capture

-Chrome

Much like how Apple scored loads of sales from iTunes, Quicktime, iPods and this helped move more iPhones and Macs, Google appears to be giving lot of free and useful software and apps away so that when the time comes, it isn't so hard to convince you to switch to Android. I forget who it was around here that was arguing that Apple had perfected vertical integration and there is no way the Mac vs PC fiasco could happen again. Every single one of those apps is proof Apple hasn't perfected it.

• Reply 32 of 62

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Every single one of those apps is proof Apple hasn't perfected it.

Why? Why does their existence preclude that? 

• Reply 33 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    trumptman wrote: »
    Apple really should be alarmed at this stage of the game. Google clearly is setting up a very strong HALO effect with regard to apps and services to grab potential buyers from Apple.

Why is that true now when it wasn't true the last few million times we heard it?
  • Reply 34 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

The only two people I know personally that had an issue with iTunes match were jail breakers who had who knows what on their devices.

Well I'm not a jailbreaker and iTunes Match has been a pretty low calibur service IMHO.  Here are my issues:

- Play counts are not counted correctly (if at all)

- Smart Playlists don't update

- A third of my music in the iTunes Store but not purchased there was not matched

- Songs that were purchased in the iTunes Store didn't get upgrades

- 15 songs got hung up Matching and have never completed the process after two weeks (and multiple tries)

- No sync management via cord with iTunes Match turned on

- It doesn't really stream the tracks

- Lost ability to download a single track and can only download an entire album

- Artwork was lost or mismatched on hundreds of tracks and couldn't be changed

- Even with the service turned off I get warning EVERY TIME I add a song to a playlist that said playlist will be taken off iTunes Match

For all of these reasons and a few others iTunes Match has been 90% a waste of my time and money.  A terrible service that I don't recommend to anyone.  I've had the service turned off for months now and can't wait for my subscription to expire in January 2013.

• Reply 35 of 62
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Free high quality streaming of the music I have? This doesn't compete with Match, it destroys it.
    But I prefer Spotify anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Dear Android-Fan-in-the-future,

In response to your query as to why Apple spends so much time litigating yet Google does not:

THIS

...is why.

Kind Regards,

GTR"

Stop being ignorant. Google music has been around for a long time. In the past, you install a small music manager on your computer and it uploads songs to the cloud from whatever folder you specify. The only thing that Google has added with this update is the ability to stream the songs that are in the upload que from Google's copy while you wait for your copy to upload. This isn't even a major update. It just makes Google music work more quickly.

Edit: Dear Appleinsider, This is a slanderous article. Google music with 20,000 songs of cloud service has been around for a long time. Please make it clear in your article what the update actually added.

• Reply 37 of 62
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    trumptman wrote: »

You mean the Apple Halo effect really means, if you copy Apple your business goes up? Wow. What a spin.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Free high quality streaming of the music I have? This doesn't compete with Match, it destroys it.
    But I prefer Spotify anyway.
    How can it really be free? Some how, some way it's being paid for.
  • Reply 39 of 62

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Edit: Dear Appleinsider, This is a slanderous article. Google music with 20,000 songs of cloud service has been around for a long time. Please make it clear in your article what the update actually added.

Are you blind? Read the first sentence. READ THE TITLE, even.

This is in no way "slander". It's not even ambiguous. If you can't understand what was added, that's your fault.

• Reply 40 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you blind? Read the first sentence. READ THE TITLE, even.

This is in no way "slander". It's not even ambiguous. If you can't understand what was added, that's your fault.

I know what the changes were because I've used Google music for a long time. But, it must not be clear in this article what Google music was before this update as evidenced by all of the comments.