Apple cleared of infringing on Motorola patent in ITC case

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    kdarling wrote: »
    So far, about as well as Apple's $2.6 billion investment in Nortel patents.

Or the billions spent on Freescale Semiconductor patents.

Or the unknown hundreds of millions Apple has used to buy mapping companies.

It's like Apple and Google are buying thousands of oysters and hoping that one of them must contain a pearl :)

Hmm at least Apple hasn't started using its Nortel SEPs for injunctions ( or even at all yet). Unlinke Google/Moto and Samsung using SEPs for injunctions.

There is a fine line being walked here. Google/Moto and Samsung are screwing over the entire telecom industry trying to get import injunctions over FRAND SEPs.

Telecom wants as little as possible government regulation, by as few governments as possible.

The day that Google/Moto or Samsung wins import injunctions over FRAND SEPs, Apple can throw their Nortel LTE SEPs and non FRAND non SEPs into the game. Any which way, the US, EU and many other countries' regulators will look at Apple SEPs and then see it is a response to the others, Google and Samsung.

The Apple/Nortel patents are a contingency plan for Android/Moto/Google/Samsung

Android/Moto/Google/Samsung were the ones that tried to take FRAND SEPs nuclear, and it could bite them back with more government scrutiny and regulation, the last thing the rest of the industry wants.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    We're disappointed with this outcome and are evaluating our options, Motorola spokeswoman Jennifer Erickson told Bloomberg

That you found out (save 3 weeks) 6 years later, you mean?
  • Reply 23 of 28

simply a waste buy 

google now getting ready to fight with samsung and other android oem with motorola.

for reference:http://phandroid.com/2012/12/12/motorola-razr-maxx-vs-samsung-s3/

Google's new moto: moto:troll

• Reply 24 of 28
    There goes another one down the drain. There's really nothing much to hold against Apple in vaguely generic patents. Apple, on the other hand, knows how to introduce and impress specificity upon the judges and jurors in its cases.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Rumor has it that RIM maybe getting some back door help from the likes of VZ...

You'd think the fiasco that was the Storm, would have taught Verizon a lesson.

The Blackberry Storm was probably one of the worst phones ever unleashed on an unsuspecting public and arguably marked the beginning of RIM's downfall.

• Reply 26 of 28
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I have friends working for RIM who used to be with QNX. Not a good situation there with so many people jumping ship. In fact, one buddy left to actually work for Apple while another left for Cisco.

However, I think it would be a good idea for Apple to buy RIM if they do go under. But not simply for the assets but to keep BB going. An Apple backed RIM would add instant credibility to the BB platform. Imagine making BB devices using Apple's expertise in the supply chain and with Apple's purchasing power of components.

Although iOS devices are dominating in Enterprise, they still aren't as secure as BB and since Apple doesn't let people modify them they can't be customized or improved. There's a specialized version of the Galaxy S3 that's considered very secure, but only because Android can be modified and the phone is locked down (no access to Google Play or any App store, for example). Apple's biggest threat would be someone taking Android and making an Enterprise version that eliminates all the faults that regular Android has. Samsung has done it for a single phone, but they could easily adapt it to all their devices.

Apple could use BB to target high-security applications and let iOS devices take over everything else (including consumer). They could build a bridge to link iCloud for iOS with BB Enterprise Server to allow both sets of devices to work seamlessly together sharing mail, messages, calendars and everything else.

I know, a little off-topic, but these are things I've chatted with my friends at RIM about and they would actually be excited to see something like that happen.

I doubt Apple would buy RIM and keep running BB. Yet, Apple did bid for Palm, and Apple's intent there was to keep running it.

• Reply 27 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tbell wrote: »

I doubt Apple would buy RIM and keep running BB. Yet, Apple did bid for Palm, and Apple's intent there was to keep running it.

I can't imagine why Apple would want to keep BB. If they were to buy RIM, I would guess that within 2 years, BB would be merged into the iPhone line.
  • Reply 28 of 28

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

…I would guess that within 2 years, BB would be merged into the iPhone line.

By which you mean discontinued entirely, right?