Rumor: Apple moving up next-gen iPad mini production, release date still unknown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Man, Apple is all over the shop. Not good. Glad I'm switching to Android.

Apple hasn't said this. Some analyst with tons of clients investing in Texas Instruments, so he's trying to make them money inflating the stock, said it. Carries about the same truth as what he flushed this morning
  • Reply 42 of 69
    gijoeinla wrote: »
    Lol! Seems like some serious DOJ action needs to hit on these so called anal-yst's
    For what? Talking out of your ass isn't antitrust etc. if any of them actually hits on truth there might be insider trading etc but that's SEC not DOJ, at least in round one.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I can see Apple going to a six month schedule. I don't know about Retina though because of cost issues. Perhaps as a high end model.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    boxmaccary wrote: »
    If I have to wait until October 2013 for iPad 5,
    then that means I'll be stuck using a 2-generation old iPad for almost another year ....

You choose to be stuck so either get over the reasons or the wait. Your call
  • Reply 45 of 69
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm wondering if Apple would have 2 models... retina and non retina... spreading out the pricing even more.

This.

I think we'll see the current iPad Mini sold for $299 and a Retina model sold for $399, just like the fullsize iPad ($399/$499).

People will be able to choose between a lightweight functional tablet, or a powerhouse retina tablet in either size.

• Reply 46 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

@ddawson I just don't have that confidence in Apple anymore.

I used to have an Android device. Man, that was unreliable. I was astonished by the poor battery life but didn't have a good comparison. Now I know it was weak to begin with. And build quality. Android phone owners I know like to point out the best about their gadget. There's a lot to love, really, but then, they're like, oh, yeah, can't upgrade to the latest. Only such and such cores. No custom ROM for my device to accomodate this or that from my carrier. Blah, blah. A lot more unpredictable, IMO. Sure, Nexus, Kindle, etc, but there's always a gotcha somewhere during your ownership of that device.

I'm just puzzled that you could have less confidence in Apple's trajectory than anyone else's. You might even disagree with where they're going but you can't really say that it's unreliable. To each their own.

PS. I know you could say nice things about Apple as well since you've got so many iOS (and OS X) devices. That's cool. I think it's good to have the gains of whatever the best platforms are. No sense in being a fanboy or poking fun at people just because they choose this device or that. I'll say one thing - since you have both platforms you're in a good position to compare. Although it doesn't seem that anyone will allow you your opinion here. :)

• Reply 47 of 69

So you are saying that you think a change in the release schedule will devalue Apple's brand?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, and it's what many have said since Android manufacturers started farting out phones every three months.

Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

If I have to wait until October 2013 for iPad 5,

then that means I'll be stuck using a 2-generation old iPad for almost another year ....

So what? I use a first-gen. Runs spectacularly.

If I don't have the latest iPad, I feel left out, somehow.

That's psychological on your part.

• Reply 48 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, and it's what many have said since Android manufacturers started farting out phones every three months.

So what? I use a first-gen. Runs spectacularly.

That's psychological on your part.

I think the cheap quality of a lot of those phones devalues them more than the release cycle.

• Reply 49 of 69

I think the cheap quality of a lot of those phones devalues them more than the release cycle.

Now that's a valid point. I don't entirely agree, but I certainly agree it's a factor.

• Reply 50 of 69

I agree that it is unlikely for Apple to release a RP version of iPad Mini before they improve battery efficiency (even) more. After that, iPad 3 had to get fat to accommodate a larger battery. I don't think they will do that with Mini. At the same time, they must have been working to bring the iPad thickness back down for a while now. So, if they are ready to release an iPad5 that is thinner than iPad4, the same battery technology can likely be used for RP-Mini. But will they release both at the same time? Christmas and Mini seem to be made for each other and Apple may continue that trend.

• Reply 51 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

... In reference to the iPad mini, what does it say that Apple themselves are perhaps concerned the iPad mini may not face the challenges of 7" Android tablets coming out 2013-2014? ...

Not to butt in to your interesting argument with the other person, but this strikes me as biased and delusional (even with the "perhaps").  

At best you are making some broad, sweeping assumptions here.  I don't see any indications and haven't heard of a single rumour that would indicate an Android based tablet is even close to Apple in terms of workmanship, value for money, design, sales, or popularity.  You could just as easily (and as accurately) assert that Apple is speeding up it's production to avoid having left over stock after the world ends.  There is as much proof of that scenario as there is of your assumption.  

• Reply 52 of 69
    Part of brand value is resell value.

Perhaps to you but not everyone thinks about reselling stuff. Which I why they still use original iPhones and iBook g4s
  • Reply 53 of 69
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I reckon iPad Mini2 and iPad5 will be released in Spring or Summer 2013. The Mini with a Retina display and faster SoC, ipad5 with a much thinner and lighter body and new touch screen tech that lets you feel as well as see what's on the screen (I saw this tech demoed some months back and it seemed almost production ready) that and I think the iPhone5's 8MP rear facing camera will be the main differentiators between the full size iPad and the upgraded Mini.
  • Reply 54 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Perhaps to you but not everyone thinks about reselling stuff. Which I why they still use original iPhones and iBook g4s

Resale value of a product is actually a part of brand value, whether a person wants to resell an item or not. (no malice intended)

• Reply 55 of 69

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Which is why they still use original iPhones…

Or we're just not pouring money out our ears.

• Reply 56 of 69

Quote:

LOL, have you actually seen my post history? "Switching" because I have an iPad3, iPhone5, iPhone4. Now using my Xperia S as my main phone and Nexus 7 as main tablet.

[blah... blah... blah...] 

I await a legitimate response from you.

So you're switching to Android.

Well good for you.  Nobody cares.  Have a nice life.

• Reply 57 of 69
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

So are some of those rumored supplier order cuts reflecting the shift to the new product? The display would be the logical shift for one.

An full size iPad in the form factor (thinness) of the mini would be an auto-buy for me. I like my three but a lower weight would be appreciated.

• Reply 58 of 69
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Well,

I Apple can pull of a Retina Display in the Mini without making it thicker or heaver, it would be a smash hit...  

Heck it already is a smash hit....  It would have to be a super duper smash hit....

I personally think a Retina Mini is about a ear away.  This is based only on the pace at which battery energy density has been improving over the last few years....

That may depend on what version of "retina" is used and that varies. There's functional where it's the pixel density at using distance etc. and then there's squishing the pixel dimensions of the iPad 4 "retina" into the mini's dimensions. The former could be accomplished now I believe (there's retina in the iPhone 5 with it's sleek form factor so if it scaled proportionally...) while the latter's (iPad 4 dimensions) very high resulting pixel density would be a much greater challenge.

And it's very unclear when people throw about what is at it's heart a marketing term which version is being referred to...

• Reply 59 of 69
    Well it is coming 2013 that is all I care at this point, however I hope there is only one IOS device released every season. But Apple TV, of course is excluded.
  • Reply 60 of 69

It does not matter, the world ends on Friday.  Just ask the Mayans.

But if the world did not end Friday, it would be reasonable to expect that some time in the future Apple will release a hi-rez iPad mini.  

The bigger question might be hi-rez Thunderbolt Displays?  Or new Mac Pro's?   

Maybe the anal-lysts can't see those in the future without a hi-rez display.

Maybe if the Mayans had a higher resolution tablets they could have made a longer calendar?