'Insatiable demand' for iPad mini drives stock-outs in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Proves Apple nailed it with their tablet gamble. Despite all the clamor about pricing, Apple's brand value and the quality it produces has driven the sales. When you talk about the mini tab market now, a clear leader would be, if not now at least in some more time, the iPad Mini.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    jpadhiyar wrote: »
    Proves Apple nailed it with their tablet gamble. Despite all the clamor about pricing, Apple's brand value and the quality it produces has driven the sales. When you talk about the mini tab market now, a clear leader would be, if not now at least in some more time, the iPad Mini.

Actually, not really. Nexus 7 has quite a lot of potential. It will see how the iPad mini goes up against Android tablets in 2013. It might be 50-50 by the end of next year.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    Actually, not really. Nexus 7 has quite a lot of potential. It will see how the iPad mini goes up against Android tablets in 2013. It might be 50-50 by the end of next year.
    Since the Nexus 7 is rumored to drop to $99 you might be right.
  • Reply 24 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Yes. I am still thinking the fundamental design for User Experience; Hardware Wise should be different from Eastern Part of the world to Western Part of the world.

Due to culture difference etc...

I would argue Chinese are used to bigger phones simply because Chinese is a complex languages in terms of Fonts. Where Default Font Size is 10 in English most would start with 12 in Chinese. Reading with Small Fonts, no matter how smooth the fonts are, will just causes headache. And that is why Samsung, Or Large screen Phones sold much better in China. In Korea and Japan where the fonts are less complex the pick up rates are better.

Not to mention Asians Play Hell a lot more Console like Video Games in Portable Devices then any other part of the world. Small Screen just dont work on these usage patterns. Of coz these could be solved if apple decide to use the left / right part next to top speaker as buttons and Around the Home Button as Direction Pad. But the chances of Apple doing this is likely zero.

Your observations about languages and font sizes are interesting, but the increasing popularity of larger phones and smaller tablets is evident in Western countries, too.

• Reply 25 of 48

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

We don't get a lot of troll responses on here…

Wow.

• Reply 26 of 48
    The seemingly 'insatiable demand' is actually global, isn't it? Apple can't make enough to meet demand worldwide yet. That China is low on stocks just means other people in the world want them too...
    Also, since we're right in the midst of an otherwise mostly-global gifting holiday season at the same time as these "checks", it's not surprising stocks might be a bit low pretty much everywhere at the moment. it'll be awhile before Apple satisfies the world's 'insatiable demand' for these products. It isn't only China/Hong Kong...

Not to mention if his checks are by having someone walk in and try to buy one, it will always be sold out. After the BS over the iPhone 4S and iPad 3 a new 'no walk in sales' system went into effect in iOS devices. In part to try to slow down the resellers attempts to buy out the stocks.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »

It will be an interesting test of the iPad mini's design and build quality. The Nexus 7 is the wrong shape, the mini is the right shape. The Nexus 7 is cased in the wrong material, uses the wrong OS, the wrong ecosystem, and generally looks and feels like a good but second-class object.

But it's significantly cheaper. Will that be enough to cause people to make the wrong decision?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    rogifan wrote: »

Makes it Hard to compare if it is really successfull because of the product it self since both companies have different business model. One is making products on bussinss model that makes profit of the selling hardware while the other is business of taking advantage of same product idea and willing to sell it for a loss.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    flaneur wrote: »
    It will be an interesting test of the iPad mini's design and build quality. The Nexus 7 is the wrong shape, the mini is the right shape. The Nexus 7 is cased in the wrong material, uses the wrong OS, the wrong ecosystem, and generally looks and feels like a good but second-class object.
    But it's significantly cheaper. Will that be enough to cause people to make the wrong decision?

Nexus 7 is the right shape. The mini is the wrong shape. The Nexus 7 has a good glass, nice bevel, and nice "grippy" back. Uses a good, sophisticated OS with Android 4.2, not something from 2010. Looks and feels good. iPad mini feels second-class because the screen is not as good, it's just an iPad "compressed" into 7", 4:3 ratio is a bit weird for watching video, and only a paltry 1024x768 resolution. Gaming-wise Nexus 7 has Tegra 3 which is quite impressive. The iPad mini screen is set a bit too deep from the surface.
    Makes it Hard to compare if it is really successfull because of the product it self since both companies have different business model. One is making products on bussinss model that makes profit of the selling hardware while the other is business of taking advantage of same product idea and willing to sell it for a loss.

I don't think they will drop the price to $99. That is ludicrous.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow.

I know you used to respond to them all the time. Now it seems like their existence has been maintained on here via proxy, much like the elusive "fandroid".

• Reply 31 of 48
    Nexus 7 is the right shape. The mini is the wrong shape. The Nexus 7 has a good glass, nice bevel, and nice "grippy" back. Uses a good, sophisticated OS with Android 4.2, not something from 2010. Looks and feels good. iPad mini feels second-class because the screen is not as good, it's just an iPad "compressed" into 7", 4:3 ratio is a bit weird for watching video, and only a paltry 1024x768 resolution. Gaming-wise Nexus 7 has Tegra 3 which is quite impressive. The iPad mini screen is set a bit too deep from the surface.

1. If a small tablet should be widescreen, then Apple would make a widescreen tablet. They know it's an obnoxious shape to hold in your hand and to read books on. The user comes first in Apple's design ethic.

Widescreen has one use case advantage, movie playback, but that requires distorting the ideal shape just to play mostly trash content. Apple is looking out for the education market far too much to care about that.

2. How much is Google paying you to advertise here?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    flaneur wrote: »
    1. If a small tablet should be widescreen, then Apple would make a widescreen tablet. They know it's an obnoxious shape to hold in your hand and to read books on. The user comes first in Apple's design ethic.
    Widescreen has one use case advantage, movie playback, but that requires distorting the ideal shape just to play mostly trash content. Apple is looking out for the education market far too much to care about that.
    2. How much is Google paying you to advertise here?

1. So if Apple doesn't do it then it shouldn't be done? You do know the one-handed stuff is a farce with the iPad mini, right? Try using a Nexus 7 one-handed and an iPad mini one-handed. Without Steve Jobs Apple certainly has been trying to be a little too smart. The iPhone 5 is nice but by extending it one's fingers cannot reach the top nav bar for back, forward etc when holding it in one hand. The risk here is the Apple team now taking a few shortcuts or perhaps not seeing the forest for the trees. I think they have some remarkable talent and dedication, no doubt, but will the next Steve Jobs please stand up, please stand up...

2. Sadly, Google does not pay me. I'm just trying to highlight the innovation in the Android space ~ a ton of it by non-Google employees, is really quite interesting. It surpasses the Windows days, the Dot-Com days, the iOS days (barely), and only the early Apple of 2000-2005 surpasses the current activity in Android.
  • Reply 33 of 48

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Now it seems like their existence has been maintained on here via proxy, much like the elusive "fandroid".

• Reply 34 of 48
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I don't think they will drop the price to $99. That is ludicrous.

Since the mini is 8" not 7", the nexus 7 and the mini both have the same screen height. So when watching a widescreen movie both tablets will show the same size. But for everything else, the mini is better. The pixels density on the nexus 7 is a bit better than the mini, but you still see less when surfing the net.

The cpu on the nexus tablets is good indeed, but the gpu lags behind by a lot. Bottom line the mini outperform the nexus 7 and the ipad 4 runs circles around the nexus 10.

I have no problem holding a mini with one hand...

The problem with the spec freaks is all they care about is stats, even when the specs dont fit together and there is a major bottleneck. Good example of this would be tablet memory specs, cpu vs gpu imbalance, weight and build quality being undervalue or discard.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    1. So if Apple doesn't do it then it shouldn't be done? You do know the one-handed stuff is a farce with the iPad mini, right? Try using a Nexus 7 one-handed and an iPad mini one-handed. Without Steve Jobs Apple certainly has been trying to be a little too smart. The iPhone 5 is nice but by extending it one's fingers cannot reach the top nav bar for back, forward etc when holding it in one hand. The risk here is the Apple team now taking a few shortcuts or perhaps not seeing the forest for the trees. I think they have some remarkable talent and dedication, no doubt, but will the next Steve Jobs please stand up, please stand up...
    2. Sadly, Google does not pay me. I'm just trying to highlight the innovation in the Android space ~ a ton of it by non-Google employees, is really quite interesting. It surpasses the Windows days, the Dot-Com days, the iOS days (barely), and only the early Apple of 2000-2005 surpasses the current activity in Android.

The "hold it in one hand" feature is a phone thing imo, i see the advantage of being able to dial with one hand, but seriously whats the point of editing a photo with one hand like shown in the apple ad... I hope Apple will wake up and realise "phones" are used less for phone calls and more for computer task and texting. At some point apple will have offer a bigger screen model or lose the market.

Btw i have no problem reaching all the iphone 5 screen with my thumb. You do need to change the grip a bit, but its very doable.

I have play a bit with the new android 4.2 os. Great os really, i could manage to figure out a lot of things but IT is my job so its easy for me. The problem is see with android phone users and tablets users is how they are completly lost on how there device works. They dont know how to put music on them, how to tranfert pics to the pc, how to buy an app, how organize icons, change settings.... Forget about using the nfc chip and skake there phones to transfert files or play a video on a tv.

A lot of users still want something very simple, and android is moving away from it. Great features yes, but i am not sure its design for average users. No wonder geeks prefer android.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I'm just trying to highlight the innovation in the Android space.

From all the strong responses I have read over these past few months I say you are failing. And that includes my responses, for which I apologise. But you need to understand that most people here aren't interested in Android innovation, things tend to be put down quite fast. "Just saying"
  • Reply 37 of 48
    As far as I can understand, Apple sold 11 times more iPad minis than Google/Acer sold Nexus 7. Yet, tech magazines continue to tell us that Google is a serious competitor for Apple in the tablet arena, and "analyst" seems to get this story. This should be a new wave in the statistics field.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    1. So if Apple doesn't do it then it shouldn't be done?

No, I'd say it should be done by everybody but Apple, so we can see the difference between slavery to a stupid movie format (16:9) for a tablet and good design for human beings.

When it comes to one of their tablet's aspect ratio, size and shape, they have the best designers giving these crucial questions the most attention. That's why they come out different from everybody else. Even with Steve Jobs gone. He left enough people behind who know how to think in visual and tactile terms.

As for using the 4-inch iPhone screen one-handed, you're holding it wrong. Choke up on it, as Gruber says.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    herbapou wrote: »
    The "hold it in one hand" feature is a phone thing imo, i see the advantage of being able to dial with one hand, but seriously whats the point of editing a photo with one hand like shown in the apple ad... I hope Apple will wake up and realise "phones" are used less for phone calls and more for computer task and texting. At some point apple will have offer a bigger screen model or lose the market.

I'm sure that if you were to give it a second thought, you, as much as anyone here, knows that Apple is aware they're selling pocket computers that happen also to be phones.

My question is, could or would they give the iPad mini phone capability, or will they bring out an in-between size to satisfy the larger-screen fans? Or will they just forget about the Galaxy-twisted taste for bulging pockets?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    ptram wrote: »
    As far as I can understand, Apple sold 11 times more iPad minis than Google/Acer sold Nexus 7. Yet, tech magazines continue to tell us that Google is a serious competitor for Apple in the tablet arena, and "analyst" seems to get this story. This should be a new wave in the statistics field.

We do need to see some real figures on this. Eleven times seems a bit high, though, because I think I read on Wikipedia that they had sold 3 or 4 million by October, That would amount to a lot of minis at a multiple of 11.

Edit: Maybe that "11 times more" figure refers to internet browsing usage?