'Insatiable demand' for iPad mini drives stock-outs in China

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

We do need to see some real figures on this. Eleven times seems a bit high, though, because I think I read on Wikipedia that they had sold 3 or 4 million by October

While i don't have actual data (I would like, just out of curiosity), I read that Acer plans to deliver more than one million Nexus 7 before the end of the year, while Apple is struggling to reach 12 millions. Bits of information I got here and there; and such a huge difference, that my curiosity has even increased.

EDIT: My fault, I should have greatly outdated information. It seems there will be 5 million Nexus 7 out for the end of the year. So, it is about 42% compared to the iPad mini. I don't know if links to other sources are allowed, but I'll try:

http://dailyrayshitech.com/nexus-7/

Paolo

• Reply 42 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Nexus 7 is the right shape.

Not for me, anyway. I use the iPad mini for reading and annotating books, and it is the right size. The Nexus (as the Fire) is too narrow. 16:10 is a very odd shape for a book, and is only used for some esoteric editions. Apart for the page size, I would say that it does not appear to exist something as useful for annotating  books (and collecting notes) like iBooks (for ePubs) and GoodReader, PDF Expert, iAnnotate (for PDFs). Moon+ Reader has still a very long way in front of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Android 4.2 ... Looks and feels good

A bit cahotic and crowded, maybe. But it is good, if you feel good watching graffiti.

• Reply 43 of 48

Surface RT Who [?]

• Reply 44 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ptram wrote: »
    While i don't have actual data (I would like, just out of curiosity), I read that Acer plans to deliver more than one million Nexus 7 before the end of the year, while Apple is struggling to reach 12 millions. Bits of information I got here and there; and such a huge difference, that my curiosity has even increased.

EDIT: My fault, I should have greatly outdated information. It seems there will be 5 million Nexus 7 out for the end of the year. So, it is about 42% compared to the iPad mini. I don't know if links to other sources are allowed, but I'll try:

http://dailyrayshitech.com/nexus-7/

Paolo

Keep in mind - those numbers are simply Digitimes' estimate. Considering how unreliable Digitimes is, you would probably do just as well to ask your Ouija board. And since neither Acer nor Google will ever provide real numbers, we'll never know how many are actually sold.

The only information we have to go on is information about revenues and/or internet usage - where the iOS devices are miles ahead of the competition.
  • Reply 45 of 48

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Talk about your walled garden.

• Reply 46 of 48
    flaneur wrote: »
    It will be an interesting test of the iPad mini's design and build quality. The Nexus 7 is the wrong shape, the mini is the right shape. The Nexus 7 is cased in the wrong material, uses the wrong OS, the wrong ecosystem, and generally looks and feels like a good but second-class object.
    But it's significantly cheaper. Will that be enough to cause people to make the wrong decision?

Hmmm. Reminds me of a song by DM ;-)
  • Reply 47 of 48
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If small screens don't work for portable gaming, perhaps you'd like to explain this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243542/android_ios_games_rake_in_more_cash_than_sony_and_nintendo.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Never had a GameBoy, did you?

I do own all the Gameboy versions there is ever released in history. But Not only as someone has mentioned, The TOTAL area for the Gameboy is still bigger then the iPhone. You cant just compared the Gameboy without the controller part to the to iPhone Screen Size. The iPhone has to act as both Controller and Display!

Of coz i know how well is Apple doing in US. But i am talking about Outside US. Or Outside Western Civilization. Where culture is totally different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Your observations about languages and font sizes are interesting, but the increasing popularity of larger phones and smaller tablets is evident in Western countries, too.

Well to be honest i have been told a lot, then i hear them a lot in other conversation. I dont know if they count as observation. Then when i think about it, it make sense.

I would love to see a table where all the glasses and contact lens are being sold ( excluding sun glasses ) , because i am betting most of them are sold to Developed Asian countries as well, These Asians generally have poorer eye sight. So not only do languages and font size matters, eye sight matters as well. And i have heard countless female ( male tends to give a lot of technical or crap reasons for choosing a phone ) saying they simply cant read very well on iPhone.

And i forgot to mention, half of the chinese users cant use Input systems. They simply dont know how to do it. ( And apple isn't opening up the input system for third party either ). So they have to write on iPhone instead of type. And Guess how they write on iPhone? With one hand? No. Using one holding the iPhone and one writing. So by design this group of market are a 2 handed operation Phone. Unless you can solve this input method.

• Reply 48 of 48

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I do own all the Gameboy versions there is ever released in history. But Not only as someone has mentioned, The TOTAL area for the Gameboy is still bigger then the iPhone. You cant just compared the Gameboy without the controller part to the to iPhone Screen Size. The iPhone has to act as both Controller and Display!

Of course that wasn't the argument in the slightest, but you realize that.