Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Don't understand why Apple is delaying the release of it's Television? Maybe supply issues for parts. Any ways I feel that Apple needs to release it before all the features it holds are already incorporated into existing TV's.

My bet is on the panel development where Apple is working on hi-res [relative to current HDTV standards] ultra-thin displays for their entry into the field, not to mention getting the contracts signed for content.

• Reply 22 of 217

The English Translation of "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS." is "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS."

Hope you get it.

• Reply 23 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Don't understand why Apple is delaying the release of it's Television? Maybe supply issues for parts. Any ways I feel that Apple needs to release it before all the features it holds are already incorporated into existing TV's.

It is their hobby project only :s  So... cant really release.

• Reply 24 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

chandra69 said: "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS."

Wow, could we get an English translation of that by any chance? It doesn't appear as any coherent thought process:

Samsung (scum) is bad. They're fighting. Samsung is the best. They need to invest in their Android alternative (which has exactly what to do with their TVs?).

Kinda sad, really.

The english translation of "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS." is "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS."

• Reply 25 of 217
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I think its an HDTV that incorporates a sound bar like array of speakers into the body below the screen providing decent built-in surround sound capabilities, or a few HDTV panels piled on top of each, maybe one or two of them translucent, combined into a single structure providing an expanded visual experience of some kind (might explain the portrait format image)...we'll see..?
  • Reply 26 of 217

I bet their NEW SHAPE is a rectangle with rounded corners...!!!

• Reply 27 of 217

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I bet their NEW SHAPE is a rectangle with rounded corners...!!!

Rectangle with sharpened corners. 

CEO makes a public statement about it, saying that "We don't want to step on Apple's toes," laughing afterward.

Samsung's PR department has to then deal with the nightmarish aftermath in which their company is seen as pathetic, infantile, and petty, never mind their idiotic ignoring of truths.

• Reply 28 of 217

Here ya' go:

...Samsung brings you a new way to experience TV!

• Reply 29 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here ya' go:

Via a fiberoptic licorice whip?

• Reply 30 of 217
    OLED tv?

IMO I've come to the conclusion that apple should reinvent the cable box/apple tv/A/V switcher etc.. Don't see away to beat them for content control(but what do I know). So... Offer an integrate cable box(including a/v functions) to them.. Sony is missing the boat because they have all the A/V components... Except for the cable box.
  • Reply 31 of 217

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Kinky?

• Reply 32 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is all just misdirection.

IT'S A CIRCLE. APPLE IS DOOMED. CIRCULAR TELEVISIONS WILL RULE THE WORLD.

Either that or they're just idiots pushing 2.39:1 again. Certainly doesn't look like a different shape to me.

No comment whatsoever on the "Hi-ya!" or "Boi-oi-oing"…

But, no, but let's examine the premise here. Televisions of all shapes and sizes want to see the new TV from Samsung. Okay. So… when someone buys a new TV, what happens to the old ones? They get destroyed. And since we're apparently assigning intelligence to these televisions roughly equivalent to that of a higher ape (or perhaps even that of a human), should it not be assumed that they would only head toward the new TV for the purpose of its destruction to prolong their lives? Otherwise they should be running away as fast as they can. 

Certainly they shouldn't be excited about it.

If they were ever privy to Apple's "television plans" (if there were any at the time) they may try to get the jump on Apple by introducing a 4K TV, for example. Frankly, from the looks of the glowing image under the sheet in their CES teaser ad, it looks like it could just be a much thinner set that appears to be attached to two metal rails on both sides. THIS is a major improvement?

• Reply 33 of 217

Quote:

Kinky?

"Crack that licorice whip!" —Devo

• Reply 34 of 217

THIS is a major improvement?

No, no. "Unprecedented new shape". We need binoculars to see the bar they've set with that phrase.

Of course it's going to wind up that they've decided to do the long jump while competing in the pole vault.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Crack that licorice whip!" —Devo

Oh gosh, no, that's a medical fiber optic camera. Designed for insertions… 

• Reply 35 of 217
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Apple doesn't appear at the annual CES tradeshow, but earlier this month the company's CEO, Tim Cook, did fan the flames on rumors that his company is working on a television set or a expanded set-top box functionality. In an interview with NBC's Rock Center, Cook said current televisions make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," and he admitted that the television market is an area of "intense interest" for Apple.

Tim needs to let slip little comments such as,

"underwater communications will soon take off"

or

"I miss the days of drive-in movies. Wouldn't it be great if you could sit in your driveway and watch a movie through car headlights shining on the garage door? Have a party or invite the neighbors on a warm, summer night... Ooops, disregard that. I KNOW NOTHING!!!!"

• Reply 36 of 217

Glass sphere

• Reply 37 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Either that or they're just idiots pushing 2.39:1 again.

If the display is large enough I think it makes perfect sense to move to an even wider display for the home. Blu-ray movies are certainly in the widescreen and for TV viewing you could have the Smart TV UI pop in from the side without affecting the size of the 16:9 display (if designed properly). I think 70 to 80" would be my minimum for that aspect ratio to be feasible.

Never eat watch anything bigger than your head!

• Reply 38 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by lord anubis View Post

Glass sphere

• Reply 39 of 217
    Whatever is different, it was probably stolen.
  • Reply 40 of 217

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here ya' go:

That goes where no TV has ever gone before...