Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 217
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's already been tried in cinemas (amazingly) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision

I remember going to exactly one movie back in the 70s (or was it the early 80s?) where they handed out scratch and sniff cards to be used along with the movie. Funny thing... I can't even remember what that movie was now.

• Reply 162 of 217
    Can you imagine the scent for a show like "Judge Judy"? One part DMV, one part senior center.
    Dirty Jobs (though I think that's long ended). <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>

Is Ice Road Truckers still on? Sweaty semi cabins and parched ice… What all this reality show crap is doing on the "History Channel" is beyond me…
    … Jersey Shore… <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>

Or the cannonball jump scene into the mire -- from Slumdog Millionaire.
  • Reply 163 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The projection systems are only getting better

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/26/lg-hecto-laser-tv-projector-to-debut-at-ces-2013-promises-a-1/

Hecto laser? Don't stand there girly!!!

• Reply 164 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At one point 4:3 TV content was most common and we were able to move to 16:9 TVs. The 4:3 content just sat in the middle (or was stretched) until the programming caught up, but it did. At some point the concession to make the switch happened. I can't see that 16:9 will forever be the the aspect ratio for TV content simply because it's what we have now, especially as TVs grow in size.

I would agree with that, but until we get wall-sized TVs that can display multiple feeds on their surface wherever they want, 16:9 is the best compromise for all formats.  I was mostly trying to dispel the unusual idea that because a lot of movies are 2.4:1 that somehow this really wide and thin aspect ratio would be good for TVs (or is coming soon to TVs).  I think it far more likely that the TV will get so big that aspect ratio becomes irrelevant, before that happens.  

• Reply 165 of 217
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Well, I don't know what's coming. We can all speculate, but there's one thing I can guarantee. It's going to be a whole lot of hoopla for something really lame.

• Reply 166 of 217
    Samsuckz new TV shape should be a huge asz since they're full of sh!t.
  • Reply 167 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Okay, wait, how can a projector make something that bright in THIS level of external light?

• Reply 168 of 217
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dookie Howsre View Post

Samsuckz new TV shape should be a huge asz since they're full of sh!t.

One of best comments I read in a long time...

• Reply 169 of 217
    Funny that that whole video was filmed in Sydney (except for the "Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas" sign).
    But I think that the TV is still rectangular - it's sitting on a plinth so it can rise above those that are looking up at it.
  • Reply 170 of 217
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I remember going to exactly one movie back in the 70s (or was it the early 80s?) where they handed out scratch and sniff cards to be used along with the movie. Funny thing... I can't even remember what that movie was now.

Polyester
  • Reply 171 of 217
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Samsung isn't announcing a "completely new device" they are promising an "unprecedented new shape".

Sorry to bust that brain fart, now come back with a new shape.

I think he was suggesting that the shape is taller, like in the picture with the sheet over it. When you're not watching the top portion in widescreen you can switch to the whole screen and show portrait-aspect pictures.

Crazy, I know, because I suggested the same thing. Of course it won't happen but neither will anything else suggested in this time-wasting thread. Maybe we'll get back to real news soon.
  • Reply 172 of 217
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Okay, wait, how can a projector make something that bright in THIS level of external light?

[VIDEO]

It can't because if it was that bright, it would be a health risk. I do think lasers are the way forward though:

[VIDEO]

I'd like to see a foldable or roll-up screen material that a laser system projects onto from behind. This way, it can be as bright as it needs to be like the laservue but compact enough to fit into a very small box.

If they can do 100" at 22" depth from a single source, say they had the 3 lasers at the base and fed optical dispersion controllers all over a sheet or foldable material via optical fibre, they could cover a 100" area with a 2" depth and about 60 controllers.

These controllers would just fire the incoming R/G/B light at about 200 angles horizontally and vertically to build up the image. Because they can all be in columns and the screen could collapse, the whole 100" screen could be folded down to be a box that is 3" x 9" x 50".

The same base control system can have multiple screens so it can be a single unit with multiple sizes. It can be a widescreen TV for normal use or a square screen when you need to show holiday snaps.
  • Reply 173 of 217
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member

Look smasung (did I spell that correctly?)

I'm sure you're excited about this...... ummm ......  

t e l e v i s i o n  ...  (it is a TV, right?)

But, too be truthful, I don't give a rat's arse.

• Reply 174 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I do think lasers are the way forward though:

75" and 85W?! I think that's impressive, at least. Wouldn't an LCD screen of that size be something like 225W?

• Reply 175 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ozexige wrote: »
    Look smasung (did I spell that correctly?)

I'm sure you're excited about this...... ummm ......  
       t e l e v i s i o n  ...  (it is a TV, right?)

But, too be truthful, I don't give a rat's arse.

(images)

I can't say I understand when people use some warping of a company's name or product, or when they wish some future endeavor will be a failure. I sincerely want Samsung to release something spectacular next week at CES. I want it to be a game changer. I want it to immediately and instantly change the way we look at television. I want it to be something original that after it's been done seems like the only way to do it going forward. I want this from all vendors at CES.

We're all biased in the sense that all our experiences are subjective. Even our objective views are all had subjectively but that's getting a little too philosophical. What I'm trying to express is that I do love my Apple products — I think they are the best the market has to offer — but I don't care about Apple outside of what they can offer me just as they don't care about me outside of what I'm willing to buy from them. My bias is wanting the best tech possible every day for the rest of my life. If Samsung can pull television out of this mostly stagnant move into the future then I'm all for it.

That said, their history for innovating an entire product with seamless integration and a great user experience isn't good but I certainly won't ignore them if they can bring it. They certainly have the resources to compete with Apple if they can change their mindshare, which is far better than I give most other tech companies.
  • Reply 176 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't say I understand when people use some warping of a company's name or product, or when they wish some future endeavor will be a failure

We're all biased in the sense that all our experiences are subjective.

That said, their history for innovating an entire product with seamless integration and a great user experience isn't good but I certainly won't ignore them if they can bring it. They certainly have the resources to compete with Apple if they can change their mindshare, which is far better than I give most other tech companies.

Hey Sol, I agree, however, it WAS a spelling mistake and I thought WFT  -  I really DON'T care.

My experiences, as (once again) you pointed out correctly, ARE subjective....

to wit, I'm simply OLD and admittedly jaded in my philosophical view of technology, in particular, smasung

(see what I did there?), a 'manufacturing' company totally bereft of ANY innovation.

My recent experience was Christmas dinner for 17 guests, friends and family. All had 'smart-phones',

14 iPhones, 2 smasungs (sorry, can't help myself) and OMG A NOKIA! (geez I'm sorry, but a no-kia, WFT man?).

Both smasungs (I've corrected my spell-checker to include my new word :) and 7 of the iPhones had black silicone-type protectors...

From a short distance you could not immediately tell the difference between the 9 phones sitting on the table...

Sufficient proof to my subjective, idiosyncratic view that smasung are no more innovative than Japanese automotive companies were after WW2....

NOTE - if any of our members disagree, please be prepared for a 'discussion' bordering on WW3 ;-) 

BTW  -  did I mention I'm old?

and

please do not take me seriously, I'm not worth it

;-)

image nothing personal..........

• Reply 177 of 217
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    As you can see from these design papers our new TV is NOT a rectangle with rounded corners but a circle with squared sides. And it says Samsung at the top, not the bottom. Completely different your honor.
  • Reply 178 of 217
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Hey Sol, I agree, however, it WAS a spelling mistake and I thought WFT  -  I really DON'T care.
    [...]

:lol: OK, I clearly didn't pick up on the article's(?) misspelling. I will say that being old doesn't mean you have to remain set in your ways. I don't see myself buying anything from Samsung but that's doesn't mean I'm anti-Samitic* either.

* Trying to follow your WWII trend so I hope that comment doesn't offend anyone.
  • Reply 179 of 217

Thanks mate,

You're an OLD? man after my own heart.

• Reply 180 of 217

My experiences, as (once again) you pointed out correctly, ARE subjective....
    to wit, I'm simply OLD and admittedly jaded in my philosophical view of technology, in particular, smasung
    (see what I did there?), a 'manufacturing' company totally bereft of ANY innovation.

My recent experience was Christmas dinner for 17 guests, friends and family. All had 'smart-phones',
    14 iPhones, 2 smasungs (sorry, can't help myself) and OMG A NOKIA! (geez I'm sorry, but a no-kia, WFT man?).
    Both smasungs (I've corrected my spell-checker to include my new word :) and 7 of the iPhones had black silicone-type protectors...
    From a short distance you could not immediately tell the difference between the 9 phones sitting on the table...
    Sufficient proof to my subjective, idiosyncratic view that smasung are no more innovative than Japanese automotive companies were after WW2....
    [SIZE=9px]NOTE - if any of our members disagree, please be prepared for a 'discussion' bordering on WW3 ;-) [/SIZE]

BTW  -  did I mention I'm old?
    and
    please do not take me seriously, I'm not worth it
    ;-)

nothing personal..........

I too, am old!

As with the innocence of youth, the senility of age brings certain advantages... I can choose which teat to suckle, and which not to suckle. I can befriend the repulsive, and ignore the attractive...

I can say and do what I want, and choose my friends and enemies.

I do not like Sammy… I do not like the way they operate! To me, they are only worth my ridicule.

I fully support your position!