Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon 'table PC' is a 27" portable computer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lenovo on Monday unveiled an interesting, if not completely useful, "slate" PC in the IdeaCentre Horizon, a 27" multitouch all-in-one that can convert into a tablet-like device reminiscent of Microsoft's original Surface concept.

IdeaCentre Horizon
Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon Table PC. | Source: Lenovo

While obviously not designed to be used as a tablet, the Horizon boasts a large built-in battery the company says is good for two hours of on-the-go use, though portability is questionable as the unit weighs in at 17 pounds.

Lenovo is calling the computer a "table PC" in that it can be used as a traditional all-in-one, but transforms into a huge tabletop screen once its rear kickstand is folded down. When the unit is laid on a table, a specialized user interface dubbed "Moon Dial" pops up, allowing users to interact with the computer from any angle.

The Horizon features a ten-point multitouch screen with gesture controls suited for multi-person use either at work or at home. Also available are a number of accessories aimed at family gaming, including joysticks, dice and an air hockey mallet, all of which are designed to interact with the screen. Lenovo calls this functionality "phygital," a combination of "physical" and "digital."

In addition to the unique Moon Dial mode, users can switch to the base Windows 8 UI, though the resulting full-screen application windows appear to be somewhat clunky.

On its website, the company is branding the IdeaCentre Horizon as a "Tabletop Gaming PC" and lists the expected release date as Summer 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    i just don't understand the thinking on this product. Is Ballmer running Lenovo? Tablets are meant to be portable.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The notion of carrying this around seems wack but I have played with the Surface table and thought it rather keen. I wouldn't mind a table sized iPad especially if it was my home remote. Even just a table with a cutout for my iPad would work. Have a place for the dock connector cable to go underneath, some kind of safety glass piece to prevent spills. Could be awesome
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    How about 40" iTV but weighing less than 10 pounds that could also work as a table multi-touch computer?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    stupid
  • Reply 5 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    The notion of carrying this around seems wack but I have played with the Surface table and thought it rather keen. I wouldn't mind a table sized iPad especially if it was my home remote. Even just a table with a cutout for my iPad would work. Have a place for the dock connector cable to go underneath, some kind of safety glass piece to prevent spills. Could be awesome

With a 27" multitouch display and what I assume is an Intel Core processor and a GPU capable of running that display how long will it last on the battery? At 17 pounds I'm guessing not very long since even the new 27" iMac is over 20 pounds.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image  image 

• Reply 7 of 49
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Screencap from a video at mobileindustryreview.com that shows how Lenovo thinks this might be used...

• Reply 8 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    One day in the future when the apps are there I see a large desk version of an iPad but it's a while off as of yet. For certain uses such as music and video editing a powerful enough touch interfaced Mac/iPad would be wonderful but the power needed for video editing puts it in another class from battery driven devices I suspect. What I imagine may be more likely a future Mac not an iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So pretty much like the information iPad display units at Apple stores?

• Reply 10 of 49
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

With a 27" multitouch display and what I assume is an Intel Core processor and a GPU capable of running that display how long will it last on the battery? At 17 pounds I'm guessing not very long since even the new 27" iMac is over 20 pounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

One day in the future when the apps are there I see a large desk version of an iPad but it's a while off as of yet. For certain uses such as music and video editing a powerful enough touch interfaced Mac/iPad would be wonderful but the power needed for video editing puts it in another class from battery driven devices I suspect. What I imagine may be more likely a future Mac not an iPad.

This is why Apple isn't rushing to make a 20+ inch iPad. Battery technology isn't there yet. Who wants to try to carry some 20 pound computer around there house?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Screencap from a video at mobileindustryreview.com that shows how Lenovo thinks this might be used...

image HILARIOUS!

• Reply 11 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Don't laugh. This is the prototype for the next Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

......the Horizon boasts a large built-in battery the company says is good for two hours of on-the-go use.....

• Reply 13 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not as bad as Samsung's 85-inch 4K TV. So this is what all the hype was about? :lol: :lol: :lol:

[img]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/18853/[/img]
  • Reply 14 of 49

This is actually a pretty cool idea, but I'm not sure it's being completely capitalized upon.  Given a thin enough, light enough, and large enough surface, this product would be ideal for board games.

Look at all the board games at your local walmart or target ... now imagine all those games loaded into a single device you can lay flat on your kitchen table!  Family game night reinvented!  Your next great game comes in the form of an app, not more cardboard and plastic bought at brick and mortar store.

I'd like to see Apple create something like their iPad Mini ... but in an iPad Maxi form where you can have a surface even larger than 10" while staying ultra thin and light.

• Reply 15 of 49
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Don't laugh. This is the prototype for the next Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone.

LOL. You beat me to the punchline :)
  • Reply 16 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
  • Reply 17 of 49

like carrying your own tombstone around!

• Reply 18 of 49
    This is the sawed off shotgun approach to innovation. There was bound to be some stray buckshot.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I don't like picking up my 5.5 lb laptop, this wont sell at all
  • Reply 20 of 49
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

This is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen!