Latest PC estimates don't account for Apple's growing international share

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Estimated Mac shipments for Apple declined 0.2 percent year over year in the U.S., according to IDC. But those figures don't account for international shipments, where Apple is expected to see more growth.

IDC published its preliminary estimates this week, showing a slight decline for Apple that was still better than the overall PC market's 4.5 percent slide in the U.S. It's estimated that Apple shipped just over 2 million Macs in the December quarter in America.

But Apple's international shipments weren't offered by IDC, as the Mac maker didn't crack the top five vendors. That prompted analyst Maynard Um with Wells Fargo to remind investors about the global market for the Mac.

iMac

Um believes Apple's international share is growing faster than its U.S.-based Mac business. In recent years, Apple has focused on opening new retail stores outside of America, and the company still has plenty of room to grow with a smaller share of international sales.

Market watchers believe Mac sales have been affected by the popularity of Apple's iPad, which is cutting into the entire PC market. The December quarter was also likely hurt by limited availability of Apple's redesigned iMacs.

Actual Mac sales for the quarter will be revealed by Apple on January 23 in the company's earnings report. Data from NPD has suggested Apple is on pace to sell 4.8 million Macs in the holiday quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    hard numbers please.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    hard numbers please.

When the article clearly lists estimates in the title you shouldn't be surprised when the article is about estimates.
  • Reply 3 of 22

In some ways I think Apple likes to have growth where most people don't expect it. Gain some traction and inertia before their competitors notice it happening.

• Reply 4 of 22
    Shocking! I mean, we don't want to be factual.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Apple did not have any supply of imacs for a whole month in the product transition.
    It is not an issue of demand growth... If they had supply the number would indicate a huge growth in demand !
  • Reply 6 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Spin these numbers any way you like, but Apple's US sales of non-touch computers declined a bit!

Only one conclusion: Apple is eating Apple's lunch! If Apple isn't careful, Apple will own personal computing (touch-centric as it now is) Microsoft-style... and then where will Apple be? Watch out, Apple, Apple is coming for you!
  • Reply 7 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    The botched iMac release is the only reason for the drop. Growth will now resume.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    nagromme wrote: »
    Spin these numbers any way you like, but Apple's US sales of non-touch computers declined a bit!

That was an estimate on unit share. We'll have to wait for Apple's earning report (January 23rd?) for the actual numbers. It could be up YoY but in any case the iPad does appear to have successfully shifted the way people think of personal computers.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

One downside is there were no imacs available in Q4.  Oddly enough almost none available now either in Q1.  27's still impossible to find.  21's tight supply.  this will effect Q4 and Q1 shipment numbers obviously

• Reply 10 of 22
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Apple did not have any supply of imacs for a whole month in the product transition.

It is not an issue of demand growth... If they had supply the number would indicate a huge growth in demand !

Yup, now that the iMac is getting on line we'll see double digit growth numbers again.

• Reply 11 of 22
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Apple's numbers are all about international sales (minus Europe), and Apple's generally delayed international release schedule isn't captured by most of these US sales/market figures.

• Reply 12 of 22
    We do not care.

• Reply 13 of 22
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    nagromme wrote: »

Only one conclusion: Apple is eating Apple's lunch! If Apple isn't careful, Apple will own personal computing (touch-centric as it now is) Microsoft-style... and then where will Apple be? Watch out, Apple, Apple is coming for you!
    Spin? Lol... They did not sell imacs for a whole month! U think that is a spin?
    They did not sell because they did not have any to sell.
    It is not an indication of demand or cannibalization .
    The product was simply not there to sell.
    Build a whole months of sales into the results and u will see great growth .
  • Reply 14 of 22
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

hard numbers please.

Yeah, I know.  Did Apple actually release hard numbers for both US and International sales yet?  I thought they wait until the earnings call which happens later this month.

• Reply 15 of 22
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I want this in a computing device. Solipsism should like the subject of the drawing there. I've avoided it due to issues with wacom over the years. When it gets into that price range, something as trivial as sending it in for service is a major issue. I'd like to see the current use of touch in consumer devices leverage its way into desktop displays in the sense that I want something like a digitizer pen with a standard computer. Wacom has improved somewhat in their display implementations, but I still read way too many complaints.

• Reply 16 of 22
    yojimbo007 wrote: »

I think this is the main reason for the decline in shipments. Hard to ship something you haven't made yet.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think Apple needs a concerted campaign to reinvigorate the Mac App Store.

They keep talking about bringing aspects of iOS devices back to the Mac, but a vibrant App Store is one of the main things!

Contact the major developer holdouts, flatter them, pay them, whatever just get them on the MAS... have like a MAS war room at Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    ascii wrote: »
    I think Apple needs a concerted campaign to reinvigorate the Mac App Store.

They keep talking about bringing aspects of iOS devices back to the Mac, but a vibrant App Store is one of the main things!

Contact the major developer holdouts, flatter them, pay them, whatever just get them on the MAS... have like a MAS war room at Apple.

Isn't it a success? I haven't seen it as anything other than one.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Isn't it a success? I haven't seen it as anything other than one.

I am disappointed that you didn't acknowledge my reference to your avatar. The link has a guy drawing Bender from Futurama.

• Reply 20 of 22
    hmm wrote: »
    I am disappointed that you didn't acknowledge my reference to your avatar. The link has a guy drawing Bender from Futurama.

I read your post, I clicked your link, but didn't watch the video nor immediately recognize the image on the video's screenshot due to the size, angle and reflections. Forgive me, or rather.. bite my shiny metal ass. :D