Apple's 2013 product pipeline to feature new iPhones and all-Retina iPad and MacBook Pro lineups

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    What I would like to see is the current iPod nano become a phone. Just iPod + phone. A small great item for kids or emerging markets that prefer feature phones. I use my ipad more and more and my iphone less and less. I would buy one immediately.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hey all you need is a crystal ball.

Yep major fail!

I'm not sure why people are afraid of a low cost iPhone. One of Apples big problem is its one size fits all mentality, it just doesn't jive with reality. Even a customer that owns an iPhone 5 could have good reason to want a cheap iPhone. There are any number of activities that can justify a low cost phone as a secondary phone, for example going sailing, hiking in the mountains, dirt bike riding or skydiving. People often save their old iPhones for such activities that put the phone at risk but let's face it not everybody has an old phone laying about.

The above is just one example of a use for a cheap iPhone. Personally I'm getting to the point that my iPad is taking over. As such the importance of a cell phone with all the features of iPhone is waning. A cheaper iPhone might make a lot of sense if it has the right features.

A cheaper iPhone does make a lot of sense, but I doubt they'll ever make one rugged enough for dirt biking image

There are a few plastic iPhone mockups online that look very Apple-esque. I wouldn't be surprised if they released something akin to this:

Classic 3.5 inch Retina screen, thin tear drop design coupled with a $299 price (for 8GB, each storage upgrade would be Apple's typical $100 upcharge) and this could be a hit.

• Reply 23 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

A cheaper iPhone does make a lot of sense, but I doubt they'll ever make one rugged enough for dirt biking image

There are a few plastic iPhone mockups online that look very Apple-esque. I wouldn't be surprised if they released something akin to this:

Classic 3.5 inch Retina screen, thin tear drop design coupled with a $299 price (for 8GB, each storage upgrade would be Apple's typical $100 upcharge) and this could be a hit.

Looks like a magic mouse with a screen on it. I think it also looks too close to the Galaxy SIII on the front. 

• Reply 24 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    drblank wrote: »
    I think it will be later this quarter is my guess.  

Context: Above quote was regarding Mac Pro's absence in all this.

I hope so. I really hope so. Yet I've read nothing ... has anyone even seen a rumor or leak regarding the next Mac Pro? I fear it is gone for good, I hope not but I fear this. The talk of future Mac Pro's keeps me hanging in there but you'd think we'd have heard a rumor from a manufacturer or something by now if they were due in a matter of weeks or even months.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    macxpress wrote: »
    Looks like a magic mouse with a screen on it. I think it also looks too close to the Galaxy SIII on the front. 

I just inherited my wife's 4s as I got her a 5 as a stocking stuffer. I was struck how nice the clean, straight and flat the design is after the curvy 3Gs ... so to me those designs are a huge step backwards. In fact after holding the 4s it makes me look at my iPad and wish it were similar in design. I know it's totally a personal thing but to me even the new iMac with it's rounded bulbous back is not a nice design, sorry Jony. Then again I like my women in tight jeans with a flared bottom so what do I know? :D

p.s. that's flared bottom of the jeans ...
  • Reply 26 of 78
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just inherited my wife's 4s as I got her a 5 as a stocking stuffer. I was struck how nice the clean, straight and flat the design is after the curvy 3Gs ... so to me those designs are a huge step backwards. In fact after holding the 4s it makes me look at my iPad and wish it were similar in design. I know it's totally a personal thing but to me even the new iMac with it's rounded bulbous back is not a nice design, sorry Jony. Then again I like my women in tight jeans with a flared bottom so what do I know? image

Its definitely a taste thing...with every design you'll get people who love it and people who sorta love it and buy it anyways, and then you'll get people who hate it. Well...and then you'll get people who hate it, but buy it anyways because its an Apple product. But I do hear you on the iPhone design. I like the current designs a lot better than the previous ones. I've had the original iPhone, 3G, and my 4S and I like the 4S design better than any of the other ones.

• Reply 27 of 78

Why in the world would they remove the camera on the iPod Touch?

• Reply 28 of 78
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

What the hell...there are three nearly identical articles on AI based on the same Kuo analysis with the same graphics and the same comments.

• Reply 29 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Quote:

I just inherited my wife's 4s as I got her a 5 as a stocking stuffer. I was struck how nice the clean, straight and flat the design is after the curvy 3Gs ... so to me those designs are a huge step backwards. In fact after holding the 4s it makes me look at my iPad and wish it were similar in design. I know it's totally a personal thing but to me even the new iMac with it's rounded bulbous back is not a nice design, sorry Jony. Then again I like my women in tight jeans with a flared bottom so what do I know? image

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its definitely a taste thing...with every design you'll get people who love it and people who sorta love it and buy it anyways, and then you'll get people who hate it. Well...and then you'll get people who hate it, but buy it anyways because its an Apple product. But I do hear you on the iPhone design. I like the current designs a lot better than the previous ones. I've had the original iPhone, 3G, and my 4S and I like the 4S design better than any of the other ones.

The mock pretty much is based on the Magic Mouse design. The Galazy S3 looks like a rounded iPhone 4 so I'm not surprised you see similarities image

I love the design of the 4 and 5 (also owned an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S). One thing that makes the designs classy to me personally are the materials used. If we were to get a plastic iPhone, do you think the square ice screen sandwich design would even look as good as it does with metal and glass? If we're getting a plastic iPhone, Apple should give it a different design.

Digitalsclips, have you seen the new iMac in person yet? It looks far better and less bulbous in person than it does in pics.

• Reply 30 of 78
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Not only that but such a high pixel density in a Mini might actually lead to a poorer user experience. The GUI could literally draw lines or dots on screen that most people won't be able to see. On the flip side iOS is somewhat resolution independent so you won't get the same results anyways as you get with iPad.

It would be the same pixel density as on the iPhone 5.  You would get the exact same results as on the iPad 4 since the resolution would be the same.

Quote:

The other problem is that retina does impact performance of the computer it is installed in. Since I'm not expecting a process shrink again for 2013 it is hard to imagine excellent performance in an iPad Mini. The only thing we could hope for is Sharps IGZO screens which might allow for a clock speed bump in the processors. As for Mac Book AIR there you have an Intel GPU running at a low clock rate, that would need to be upgraded to support Retina.

An A6X with half the GPU cores will provide the same performance as the A5X without being that much bigger than the A6.  You can also do a process shrink on the A5X to 32nm or 28nm.

My opinion was that the A6 CPU were production constrained and reserved for the more expensive iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and that the iPad Mini 2 will get the A6 if non-retina or A6X-lite if retina in 2013.  I'm hoping that it gets a spring spec update to the A6 but probably just a single bigger jump in the fall to retina.

• Reply 31 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Why in the world would they remove the camera on the iPod Touch?

When I saw that I knew this guy was making stuff up. Apple has never removed the camera from the iPod touch to achieve a $199 price. They always just offer the last gen model for that price (or offer an 8GB model like in 2010).

• Reply 32 of 78

I hope so. I really hope so. Yet I've read nothing ... has anyone even seen a rumor or leak regarding the next Mac Pro? I fear it is gone for good, I hope not but I fear this. The talk of future Mac Pro's keeps me hanging in there but you'd think we'd have heard a rumor from a manufacturer or something by now if they were due in a matter of weeks or even months.

Tim Cook himself said it will be receiving an update this year. 

If he lies, we'll throw him on the fire, but it's not even time to go pick out the species of wood you want to put in the smoker yet.

• Reply 33 of 78
    blackbook wrote: »

The mock pretty much is based on the Magic Mouse design. The Galazy S3 looks like a rounded iPhone 4 so I'm not surprised you see similarities :D

I love the design of the 4 and 5 (also owned an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S). One thing that makes the designs classy to me personally are the materials used. If we were to get a plastic iPhone, do you think the square ice screen sandwich design would even look as good as it does with metal and glass? If we're getting a plastic iPhone, Apple should give it a different design.

Digitalsclips, have you seen the new iMac in person yet? It looks far better and less bulbous in person than it does in pics.

No in truth I haven't seen the new iMac in person so you are right I should reserve judgement till I do. Next time I drive up to Tampa (Apple build one in Sarasota will ya!) I'll check one out. I'm waiting for a new Mac Pro so I'm kind of resisting any such visits in case I get impetuous!
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Tim Cook himself said it will be receiving an update this year. 

If he lies, we'll throw him on the fire, but it's not even time to go pick out the species of wood you want to put in the smoker yet.

LOL

Ok but have you got the matches ready in case?
  • Reply 35 of 78

Quote:

No in truth I haven't seen the new iMac in person so you are right I should reserve judgement till I do. Next time I drive up to Tampa (Apple build one in Sarasota will ya!) I'll check one out. I'm waiting for a new Mac Pro so I'm kind of resisting any such visits in case I get impetuous!

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it at the Apple store. In pics it looks very bulgy and thick, but surprisingly in person it look more like Apple's fab shots on their website, I was shocked.

It literally at most angles looks 5MM thin and when you turn to the side it tapers very nicely and not as abruptly as it appears in web shots.

• Reply 36 of 78

Ok but have you got the matches ready in case?

Yes, "And Boom!" brand.

• Reply 37 of 78

I'm going to be laughing very loudly when this doesn't come true! Analysts, do they really understand the tech industry???

• Reply 38 of 78

Analysts get paid to say what we're already assuming?

• Reply 39 of 78
    We need a Mac Pro or its replacement.
    The Spec is:
    Multi box solution joined by LightPeek.
    You swap Processor boxes to suit the job in hand.
    Swap drives ( Fusion ) to match the project in hand
    An accessory box gives Ethernet, Firewire, USB3, USB2, Thunderbolt ( Low speed LightPeek )
    Wi-Fi, BlueTooth and one PCI slot ( Full height )
    Separate box for 3 Full height PCI cards.

Let really rip!
  • Reply 40 of 78
    cmfcmf Posts: 66member

Quote:

Not only that but such a high pixel density in a Mini might actually lead to a poorer user experience. The GUI could literally draw lines or dots on screen that most people won't be able to see. On the flip side iOS is somewhat resolution independent so you won't get the same results anyways as you get with iPad.

The other problem is that retina does impact performance of the computer it is installed in. Since I'm not expecting a process shrink again for 2013 it is hard to imagine excellent performance in an iPad Mini. The only thing we could hope for is Sharps IGZO screens which might allow for a clock speed bump in the processors. As for Mac Book AIR there you have an Intel GPU running at a low clock rate, that would need to be upgraded to support Retina.

Does a Retina display have an effect on performance? Sure, but it's worth remembering what happened with iPad 3 ("New iPad"). While most reviews felt that it was an improvement over the iPad 2, it didn't really have the necessary internals to smoothly drive the display (At least without putting the GPU under pressure - Potential heating concerns on this model). Even if the A7 (or possibly A7X) isn't a die shrink and instead a new architecture, they've had 2 previous generations of iPad with the same kind of display, so we probably will see better performance in that regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So he's taken all the previous rumours and said he believes them, too. What a treat these analysts are¡ Note there isn't a single comment about the Mac Pro, Apple Display, or AirPort routers.

The "roadmap" (if we can call it that - this is Apple, after all) makes sense, no one's surprised by that.  However, I do wish that the timing doesn't end up being as spread out as he believes it will be.  The Retina MacBook Pro hasn't seen an update since June of last year, I highly doubt that they would wait an entire year to update the flagship of their notebook lineup.*

As far as AirPort is concerned, it seems like they are waiting on 802.11ac before releasing new models, do we know if Haswell (or Broadcom, I guess) includes support for this? I would also like them to potentially drop "b" compatability, the last 802.11b device I have that gets any use is a Wii and with the recent introduction of the Wii U, I'm not holding my breath waiting for any further system updates.

On a different note, seeing this kind of forecast makes me miss the time period when Snow Leopard was the focus (2009-2011), Apple understood that they had Pro customers that depended on Mac OS X and couldn't abandon them just to chase gains (however profitable) in terms of consumer marketshare.  They were proud of the Mac and it showed. Now, not so much.**

* Owners of the 13" MacBook Pro or MacBook Air may disagree, but the 15" has, and will likely continue to be the technology flagship for the laptop line, a move to update the 13" model was only really done to bring the display to that form factor. 

** See also the removal of Apple's "Science" website in recent weeks.