Apple's 2013 product pipeline to feature new iPhones and all-Retina iPad and MacBook Pro lineups

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPad mini has mostly the same grade components as the iPod Touch, including being almost having nearly as many pixels.

That doesn't make the iPod Touch more viable as a product.  

It's not a stretch to predict that the iPod Touch will more rapidly decline in popularity now that the iPad Mini is available.

• Reply 62 of 78

You know what's wrong with this article?  It focuses on hardware.  This year Apple needs to focus on software in order to remain competitive.  iOS is looking pretty old.  The iWork suite needs some love.  iPhoto on iOS needs some smoothing over.  If Apple wants to sell more devices, they're going to have to give people something new to look at when they turn it on.

• Reply 63 of 78

Originally Posted by aeberhar View Post

iOS is looking pretty old.

People really need to stop saying this when that's all they say.

If Apple wants to sell more devices, they're going to have to give people something new to look at when they turn it on.

"Oh, no. A Dock. A Menu Bar. Icons. A Desktop. Screw that. That's old. I want to not have a clue what I'm looking at when I buy a new machine."

Didn't work for Windows 8; not gonna work anywhere else.

• Reply 64 of 78

Sorry, but when people don't buy Apple products because they don't like the way they look, "old" is a relevant concern for an Apple OS.

• Reply 65 of 78

Sorry, but when people don't buy Apple products because they don't like the way they look, "old" is a relevant concern for an Apple OS.

No, this statement is not based in any sort of fact or reason.

• Reply 66 of 78

As you wish.  I'm not going to argue about it.

• Reply 67 of 78

As you wish.  I'm not going to argue about it.

Of course not; you're lying through your teeth, you have zero evidence of what you're saying, and there's no possible way for you to argue it.

• Reply 68 of 78
    lineyliney Posts: 19member
    I too looked carefully for mention of an upgraded Mac Pro. I'm writing this on a Mac Pro 1,1 - as in the very first model. I'm game for an upgrade, but Apple doesn't seem to want my money. This is a workhorse and a very flexible/extendable system. I'd like Apple to step up and fix its flaws and give me some more breathing room - so I can go 7 or more years on the next one.
  • Reply 69 of 78

Well liney, Tim did promise one this year.

As with most financial analysts, I reckon random predictions would do better than this guy's effort!

His predictions look very Q3 heavy.  Apple tends to spread out its releases over the course of the year, with a bit of a surge in the June to September period.  I expect newer iPads before September, and he's got them clearly separated but it's obvious they will be updated together...ditto iPhones!

Also why does he say "New design Retina MacBook Pro"?  They only just got a redesign last year!  There's no way they'll change their shape again.  The Air is more likely to have a redesign.  New MacBook Pros are more likely to come in Q1 or 2 in my opinion.  The 15" has been out 7 months and both sizes are a bit overpriced.  Sales will be dead if they wait all the way until Q3.

That and no Mac Pro make this guy's predictions epic fail.  Time will tell.  Why is he getting so much publicity?

• Reply 70 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    liney wrote:
    I too looked carefully for mention of an upgraded Mac Pro. I'm writing this on a Mac Pro 1,1 - as in the very first model. I'm game for an upgrade, but Apple doesn't seem to want my money.

Apple wanted your money in 2010 but you held out. They are returning the favour.
    liney wrote:
    This is a workhorse

It's slower than a Macbook Air now so there are plenty of upgrade options. Time to take ole Rusty to the glue factory.
    liney wrote:
    I'd like Apple to step up and fix its flaws and give me some more breathing room - so I can go 7 or more years on the next one.

You can't go that long without an upgrade - the Mac Pro has a short lifespan because computers go out of date more quickly than displays, which is why they are better being separate
    but no, the Mac Pro has a long lifespan because the fastest ones are more powerful at the start (everybody buys the fastest ones)
    but no, the Mac Pro has a short lifespan because these are high-end machines on the cutting edge of awesome and pros need every fraction of power they can get every year
    but no, the Mac Pro has a long lifespan, which is why it has higher quality components
    but no, the Mac Pro has a short lifespan because it has the same warranty as any other machine and out-of-warranty repairs are very expensive
    but no, the Mac Pro has a long lifespan because it can be upgraded meaning you don't have to buy a new one for a long time.

^ pick one at random on any day of the week.
    s.metcalf wrote:
    His predictions look very Q3 heavy. Apple tends to spread out its releases over the course of the year, with a bit of a surge in the June to September period.

This is going to be Intel's fault again. Haswell isn't coming until June now. The laptops should have arrived in April. Also the quad-core Rogue 6 GPU for the iOS devices (all the 'S' speed upgrades) doesn't come until the second half either.

That pretty much leaves Apple with nothing for the entire first 6 months except sorting their iMac supply and it crams everything into Q3 (not fiscal Q3). The guesser (= analyst) really should split it by month but obviously it helps their credibility to be as vague as possible.

Ivy Bridge EP for the new Mac Pro should (*gives Intel the stink eye*) arrive at the beginning of the 2nd half:

http://wccftech.com/intels-leaked-roadmap-shows-ivy-bridgeepen-processors-12-cores-30mb-cache-130w-tdp/

That means it can launch at WWDC and they can talk about them being made in America. The Macbook Pros should also be updated as they will be beyond the end of their cycle and are their most popular machines. If the higher performance GT3 chips launch later, it makes sense to push back the Air and Mini and the iMac isn't near the end of its cycle until later.

In September/October, they can launch new iPhones/iPads with quad-core graphics.

For now, we twiddle the thumbs for 5 months. Apple should really add another leg to that 4-legged stool, like a car. Elon Musk can't have spent over $180m on Tesla yet, no more than $0.5b taking into account investment. Tim Cook can leave that in a bar by accident and not care. Apple makes over $13b profit in a quarter. It can be their new hobby. Even just a special edition Tesla with the hood friction stir welded shut - like the Rolls Royce of Teslas.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Nice compilation of existing rumours - with one DIRTY BiG OMISSION, no MAC PRO !

Hope Tim proves him wrong - sooner rather than later.

I go along with the rest of it tho'

What I don't like are the release dates.  It's stacking too much up over a short period of time.I would like for Apple release products spread out over the year a little more evenly.  It might help with production during the Christmas season.  Worst thing to happen is not enough inventory for Christmas.

• Reply 72 of 78
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Your guess is better than any analyst since NONE of them mention the Mac Pro at all.

Actually, it's more of a hoping, not for my sake, but for Apple's and the customers that have been waiting.  It's been a long time and they need to release something.  The only thing that I am worried about is that Apple might be waiting for a new Chip out of Intel. When are the Ivy Bridge Xeon chips due out?  This and next quarter?

What I would LOVE to see Apple do, is a more robust Mac Mini aimed at the Pro market which would be basically the guts of the iMacs in a box with a larger form factor than the Mini, but the same height.   Reason?  A lot of pros that don't need slots will give them the freedom to not have to always cart their system around with the monitor.    Then they might be able to make the Thunderbolt monitor with the thin bezel and the back will not bulge out as much either.

• Reply 73 of 78
    Not useful.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

That and no Mac Pro make this guy's predictions epic fail.  Time will tell.  Why is he getting so much publicity?

His predictions have been right in the past, but Tim Cook did promise something for the pros this year.

One possible explanation is that this guy makes his predictions based on sources in the Asian supply chain, but the Mac Pro won't be made in Asia.

• Reply 75 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    His predictions have been right in the past, but Tim Cook did promise something for the pros this year.

One possible explanation is that this guy makes his predictions based on sources in the Asian supply chain, but the Mac Pro won't be made in Asia.

I think the most likely US assembled Mac would be the Mac Pro but we don't yet know.
  • Reply 76 of 78

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the most likely US assembled Mac would be the Mac Pro but we don't yet know.

We saw pictures of iMacs that said "Assembled in USA", didn't we?

• Reply 77 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I guess we did: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/02/some-new-imacs-marked-as-being-assembled-in-america
  • Reply 78 of 78

Yes the 2013 IMac does not need much for U.S. made