Home button fingerprint sensor in 'iPhone 5S' would give Apple a new leg up on the competition

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 130
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post



    uh fingerprint sensor ??? Where is your NFC, iPhone?


     


    Apple will put it in when it makes sense, and not before. Right now, what are its uses, besides Galaxy S3 users sharing self-made porn videos like on that silly commercial? There are also security concerns with NFC right now. Even Google hasn't been able to make much use for it. Google Wallet isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

  • Reply 22 of 130
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Android is moving to edge-to-edge screens with soft buttons. I do not think the home button has a long life to live as it occupies priceless real estate preventing from further screen size increase.

    What apple might do is to put the sensor on the back side of the iPhone...
  • Reply 23 of 130
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post


     


    Apple will put it in when it makes sense, and not before. Right now, what are its uses, besides Galaxy S3 users sharing self-made porn videos like on that silly commercial? There are also security concerns with NFC right now. Even Google hasn't been able to make much use for it. Google Wallet isn't exactly setting the world on fire.



     


    Depends on where you live and your lifestyle, I think.


     


    For example, my family in Florida uses NFC every day.   Gas, Fast food.  Home Depot.  I think even their grocery store.   So it works well for them.


     


    My stepdaughter loves it, since she has a young kid and she hates carrying a pocketbook around, but does usually have her phone in one hand all the time.


     


    (Personally, I'd love it if the grocery in my little town supported it, but no such luck yet.)


     


    I keep saying that it won't really take off until we can also keep our driver's license in our phone.  When that happens, and I can pay everywhere with NFC, the need for a wallet starts to disappear.

  • Reply 24 of 130
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    I think you're both missing the point.  Sure, the fingerprint scan can easily be linked back to keychain or whatever.  But currently, the iPhone doesn't use keychain, and i think it would be a major security risk at this point if they did. 



     


     


    Why would using keychain become a security risk?


     


    Quote:


     Now I will agree that if the FP scan is mainly just an added level of security, I could see it working.  But that's not the point I was trying to make.




     


    It's potentially a big addition to security since it allows two factor authentication without that much more hassle IF it works consistently.

  • Reply 25 of 130


    Don't forget that the devices that have the finger-print technology incorporated into the screen have been very heavy, large, and bulky, which is definitely not Apple's style for their products.  Incorporating it into the home button would definitely make sense, at least for the first few generations.


     


    As far as the fact that everybody uses usernames and passwords, couldn't an encrypted keychain of passwords be stored on the device and autofill used when the phone "knows" it's you through use of the finger-print scanner?  

  • Reply 26 of 130

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    OK, I'll give the guy some slack because he's accurately predicted stuff in the past.  However, With this fingerprint reader.  Unless every website, every program, every piece of hardware that you use integrates this technology, it's not going to work. 


     



     


    You just need to replace the Master password for the password vault like LastPass.  Besides fingerprint reader, there are many other applications.  For example, they could make the stylus more accurate on a capacitive touch screen.

  • Reply 27 of 130
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    Now with Passbook (i think you mean to say)...I agree, I think that could be a really great alternative to services like PayPal.  To me, the current Passbook is kind of a mess.  I kind of expected it to be like an NFC tech, but it's really not that great.  You're supposed to store things like tickets and boarding passes and coupons...that's great but you end up having a billion apps on your phone that have to integrate into Passbook.  And sure you can store them in a folder, but then you're using up all your available storage to do this.  The only thing I would use this for is coupons and boarding passes, however, I have not had an once of success with Boarding passes because I fly Internationally primarily and you need to check-in.  Coupon don't seems to work for me either.  It just becomes one of those apps (like Newsstand) that gets shoved on a back screen to be lost.



     


    I agree with you on Passbook.


     


    Great concept horrible execution.

  • Reply 28 of 130
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by appleistheway View Post


    Don't forget that the devices that have the finger-print technology incorporated into the screen have been very heavy, large, and bulky, which is definitely not Apple's style for their products.  Incorporating it into the home button would definitely make sense, at least for the first few generations.


     


    As far as the fact that everybody uses usernames and passwords, couldn't an encrypted keychain of passwords be stored on the device and autofill used when the phone "knows" it's you through use of the finger-print scanner?  



     


    I think that would be the most likely use of the technology.


     


    "Introducing iOS 7 with keychains..."

  • Reply 29 of 130
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nht View Post


     


     


    Why would using keychain become a security risk?


     


     


    It's potentially a big addition to security since it allows two factor authentication without that much more hassle IF it works consistently.



    I'm no expert on iOS security, but I would assume that since Keychain isn't currently integrated into iOS, there must be over-arching security issues involved with it.  My guess would be phone hacking, since it has been a past issue to some but not all.

  • Reply 30 of 130
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


     


    I agree with you on Passbook.


     


    Great concept horrible execution.



    even though it's off topic (Passbook bitching that is)...Another great feature I'd love to see come to Passbook are loyalty cards.  I have a billion of those that get lost in my wallet or i just don't have at the time i'm in a store that I'd love for Apple to take initiative with.

  • Reply 31 of 130

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    Kuo's comments are in line with recent rumors,




     



    or are they BASED on recent rumors?

  • Reply 32 of 130

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    even though it's off topic (Passbook bitching that is)...Another great feature I'd love to see come to Passbook are loyalty cards.  I have a billion of those that get lost in my wallet or i just don't have at the time i'm in a store that I'd love for Apple to take initiative with.



    30%. 'nuf said.

  • Reply 33 of 130
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post



    I presume that the fingerprint reader would integrate with a secure password manager on the phone to manage login forms.

     


    Yes. This is so obvious. 


    That other posters comment on how the sensor would not work with web logins was just dumb.

  • Reply 34 of 130


    No, it would give a gimmick up on the competition.




    Explain how this crap makes my life better or shut up and keep it to yourself.


     


    Analysts…

  • Reply 35 of 130
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member


    If Apple were to replace the username/password system on the web, this would be HUGE!


    I doubt it will happen, but I can always hope. This is the kind of big picture solutions they should be going after.

  • Reply 36 of 130
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, it would give a gimmick up on the competition.




    Explain how this crap makes my life better or shut up and keep it to yourself.


     


    Analysts…



    The username/password system is totally insecure, cumbersome, and a complete failure.


    Ask any company how much money they waste resetting passwords, and I would guess it is a stratospheric number.

  • Reply 37 of 130
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    even though it's off topic (Passbook bitching that is)...Another great feature I'd love to see come to Passbook are loyalty cards.  I have a billion of those that get lost in my wallet or i just don't have at the time i'm in a store that I'd love for Apple to take initiative with.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


    30%. 'nuf said.



     


    That would be the perfect use of Passbook, especially in its current form. The only problem is retailers have been extremely lukewarm about Passbook adoption.


     


    Walgreens is the only one that currently has their rewards store card available on passbook. If most national retailers would hop on the bandwagon and have their store cards (in particular grocery stores) that would make Passbook so much more useful.


     


    And it has nothing to do with Apple's 30% cut. They are currently making NO MONEY on Passbook whatsoever. They need to make the app more worthwhile or else it will continue to be lumped up in the failures of iOS 6. 

  • Reply 38 of 130
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post


    If Apple were to replace the username/password system on the web, this would be HUGE!


    I doubt it will happen, but I can always hope. This is the kind of big picture solutions they should be going after.




     


     


    That will probably never happen.


     


     


    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, it would give a gimmick up on the competition.




    Explain how this crap makes my life better or shut up and keep it to yourself.


     


    Analysts…



     


    Even so I would not be surprised at all if Apple unveils a finger print system as the special feature of the 5S. I'm just afraid that as you said it'll become a gimmick that no one uses like Passbook.

  • Reply 39 of 130


    Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

    The username/password system is totally insecure, cumbersome, and a complete failure.


     


    In what way?






    Ask any company how much money they waste resetting passwords, and I would guess it is a stratospheric number.



     


    How is that even possible? And why would a far more insecure system of fingerprinting be any safer? They're crazy simple to trick locally.


     


    And hacking the [other-end system], just like any attack based in text passwords, and you'd still get passcodes from everyone.

  • Reply 40 of 130
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post



    uh fingerprint sensor ??? Where is your NFC, iPhone?


    Same place all the NFC terminals are that would make it worth bothering with. 

Sign In or Register to comment.