Home button fingerprint sensor in 'iPhone 5S' would give Apple a new leg up on the competition

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 130
    RE: CardStar
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Great, another f#@king App.  That's all I want...you totally missed my point.  Native man...

Hey... at least 3rd party apps are available to enhance your smartphone.

I'm glad apps like DownCast exist... I greatly prefer it to Apple's own Podcast app...

BTW... what's the difference between tapping on the CardStar icon... vs tapping on the Passbook icon?
  • Reply 122 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Why shouldn't this technology be used for the gun industry? Put a thumbprint scanner on the gun so that only the registered owner can use it.

This is not a politically sensitive post, as I think both pro- and anti- gun rights advocates should agree that this is a good idea, no?

This post is related to the topic at hand, because we're talking about fingerprint scanning technology.

If some quick triggered (pun intended?) mod wants to delete this, then please have the courtesy to explain why.

Please do start a thread on this! I think it's a fine idea. But you'll need to start it in PO. 

I know why, you know why, your supporters know why, and your detractors know why. And it's not just because of topical events, but that is part of it. 

Now, if you'd offered a use for fingerprint recognition elsewhere in the tech industry, absolutely it would have stood. But really.

Done.

• Reply 123 of 130
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    RE: CardStar
    Hey... at least 3rd party apps are available to enhance your smartphone.

I'm glad apps like DownCast exist... I greatly prefer it to Apple's own Podcast app...

BTW... what's the difference between tapping on the CardStar icon... vs tapping on the Passbook icon?

Separate app takes up space on iCloud and your device storage
  • Reply 124 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Separate app takes up space on iCloud and your device storage

Apps 'backed up in iCloud' do not count against your storage space. You can freely re-download them, to any compatible device.
  • Reply 125 of 130
    philboogie wrote: »
    Apps 'backed up in iCloud' do not count against your storage space. You can freely re-download them, to any compatible device.

App data counts against you and I would imagine there would be a bit of data needing to be saved.

I'm not saying its a huge problem but I agree that the features of the CardStar app should be native in Passbook.

Especially since you can't delete native apps in favor of 3rd party app that do the task better.
  • Reply 126 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »

App data counts against you and I would imagine there would be a bit of data needing to be saved.

I'm not saying its a huge problem but I agree that the features of the CardStar app should be native in Passbook.

Especially since you can't delete native apps in favor of 3rd party app that do the task better.

That's not what Apple says:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/#apps
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
    Summary
    iCloud customers are provided with 5 GB of free cloud storage. Purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books, as well as photos in your Photo Stream don't count against your 5 GB of free storage.

And yes, you are right that you can't delete native apps.
    And yes, it's annoying you can't configure iOS to have a 3rd party app as the default; even though you might've installed Opera, opening an URL launches Safari, which is a shame.
  • Reply 127 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's not what Apple says:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/#apps

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4874?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

And yes, you are right that you can't delete native apps.

And yes, it's annoying you can't configure iOS to have a 3rd party app as the default; even though you might've installed Opera, opening an URL launches Safari, which is a shame.

That's interesting because on my iPhone when I go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage > Backups

I can see how much app data is occupying my iCloud. Currently app data and photos is taking up 13.7GB of space on my iCloud. My 3rd party app data ranges in size from a few KB to about 200MB.

So yes even though the apps themselves don't count against your storage app data does.

Anyway I see that my Passbook takes up almost 700KB of data space even though I only have 4 passes. This is when I would love to be able to delete some native apps and replace them with 3rd party apps that just work better. Core native apps like Maps and Safari don't have to be delete-able, but having the ability to change your default apps for those services and having the ability to "hide" Maps and Safari would be great.

• Reply 128 of 130
    That's interesting because on my iPhone when I go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage > Backups

I can see how much app data is occupying my iCloud. Currently app data and photos is taking up 13.7GB of space on my iCloud. My 3rd party app data ranges in size from a few KB to about 200MB.

So yes even though the apps themselves don't count against your storage app data does.

Looks like that actually makes sense. Data associated with an app is stored within the bundle AFAIK, you know, deleting iPhoto.ipa will delete the photo's that have been imported into that $4.99 app.

I took a peek at my end to compare against your 13.7GB and I only have 1.1GB in use:

1000 1000 1000

But I must say that I don't backup to iCloud, so it might be different at my end.
    Anyway I see that my Passbook takes up almost 700KB of data space even though I only have 4 passes. This is when I would love to be able to delete some native apps and replace them with 3rd party apps that just work better. Core native apps like Maps and Safari don't have to be delete-able, but having the ability to change your default apps for those services and having the ability to "hide" Maps and Safari would be great.

The 3rd screendump is from a (now gone) free FileSystem.ipa utility which is a read only app that can browse (tada) the FileSystem. It looks like these iPhone apps are small and wouldn't make much difference if one were to delete unwanted native iOS apps. But this is pure speculation...

And I fully agree that one should be able to at least have a 3rd party app as the default, many people seem to want this. I don't care myself, but TEHO / YMMV and all that.
  • Reply 129 of 130
    What's the use of a fingerprint sensor? I've seen many notebook computers with it, but didn't see any practical use for most people.
  • Reply 130 of 130
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jongampark View Post

What's the use of a fingerprint sensor? I've seen many notebook computers with it, but didn't see any practical use for most people.

Fingerprint sensors have been used since around the turn of the century on handheld devices.

Their primary use, of course, is for user identification, versus using an unlock code or gesture.   Most likely Apple would also use it  for verification of electronic payments, tickets, etc.

At least one phone in 2007, a Toshiba, also allowed setting up a different app launch per finger.   Pretty cool idea.  Quick unlock and launch of the camera, or texting, or email, and so forth.   It was also usable in some cases as a vertical scroll pad.