Opera unveils new 'Ice' mobile web browser for iOS and Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Well, I use Safari 99% of the time I'm browsing.

The "problem" is, FLASH. Remember flash? I hate all things adobe (much more than google) so i refuse to go to their site and download that poor coded resource hog pile of trash (like all things adobe). However sometimes I need flash, especially for cycling feeds during the year, youtube videos, you know the drill.

There's only one browser with flash built-in, and I must have it installed. There's no problem with that, Chrome is a good browser, right? Very fast, clean interface. The thing is... I can't stop using safari. It's so much faster and pleasant to use: faster scrolling, amazing and faster gestures, amazing sharing options and great looks! I thought Chrome was the way to go, especially because of Windows bootcamp. Guess what? I can't stand Windows anymore, I can't stand using another trackpad (Windows PCs)... So I don't need to "sync".

But I still need Chrome. Do I have alternative? I know I could use Safari+click to flash, but i just enjoy keeping Safari "pure", it's so fast! (I used IE since 2000 to 2011, maybe this explains why I love Safari so much. :) )

Everyone I know either uses 100% Safari with flash, or Chrome or Firefox. I fail to see a market for Opera. I fail to see what is their point, their goal... Why not ally with a better browser and make it even better?

http://lifehacker.com/5948212/browser-speed-tests-mac-edition-chrome-22-firefox-15-safari-6-and-opera-1202

Why do you need flash for YouTube?
  • Reply 22 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why do you need flash for YouTube?

Not all videos, but the majority isn't html5.

• Reply 23 of 77
    The only feature I find missing from Safari on iOS is fullscreen mode on the iPad (whereas it is automatically enabled on the iPhone.) Don't understand why Apple insists we stare at that distracting URL bar all the time. Love the full screen mode and other nifty features in Atomic Web Browser; unfortunately that app just gets more and more buggy with each release. :( Anyway, it appears that Opera's new Ice browser will not be using compression like their mini web browser, I'd be glad to try it out. Just hope we can easily delete unwanted web apps from the home screen.
  • Reply 24 of 77

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Forget that: There's an MP4 file of every video there. You don't even need to have the HTML5 option turned on: with Click2Flash it will push out a straight up QuickTime window and load it in there.

• Reply 25 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Forget that: There's an MP4 file of every video there. You don't even need to have the HTML5 option turned on: with Click2Flash it will push out a straight up QuickTime window and load it in there.

Are you serious? But what do I do with cycling feeds, for example? Can I play them with Quicktime too?

• Reply 26 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I presume a container swap works in a jiffy? Not that my Mac can't do massive amounts of re-encoding, but I prefer to leave the source alone. I'll take a peek it this software, thanks.

As an example a 1.5GB 1080p video that is encoded with H.264 for video and AAC for audio and put in an Matroska (MKV) container will take under 10 minutes to finish on my 2010 13" MBP with a 2.4GHz C2D CPU. The buik is used to export and re-import the audio and video which I'm assuming has to be done bit-by-bit instead of simply removing some preamble and CRC like with an Ethernet frame. In any case, the source video and audio remain intact with no additional encoding and I've never noticed the audio and video not synced up properly. Chapters are also maintained through this process.
  • Reply 27 of 77

What do you mean by the majority isn't HTML5? The majority of the videos appear to be H.264 and it seems like every major site allows for those H.264 videos to be videoed from HTML5 due to how prolific mobile devices are.
  • Reply 28 of 77

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What do you mean by the majority isn't HTML5? The majority of the videos appear to be H.264 and it seems like every major site allows for those H.264 videos to be videoed from HTML5 due to how prolific mobile devices are.

Not disagreeing, but didn't Google say they were going to stop converting YouTube videos into MP4/H.264 entirely in favor of WebM? That doesn't seem to have happened.

• Reply 29 of 77

Quote:

But how do i do that on my mac without extensions?

I'm now trying click2flash, but the option to play on quicktime appears for juts one second, then it says that i don't have flash and the option for quicktime is erased. 

• Reply 30 of 77

I'm now trying click2flash, but the option to play on quicktime appears for juts one second, then it says that i don't have flash and the option for quicktime is erased. 

I don't know what you are talking about. Are you trying to host your own videos and only know how to use FLV as a container for your H.264/AAC content?
  • Reply 31 of 77

Quote:

I don't know what you are talking about. Are you trying to host your own videos and only know how to use FLV as a container for your H.264/AAC content?

:)

I'm trying to go to youtube and watch all videos on quicktime, without flash installed, especially without extensions.

• Reply 32 of 77

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I guess hit "Join" here

• Reply 33 of 77
    :)

I'm trying to go to youtube and watch all videos on quicktime, without flash installed, especially without extensions.

Why in QuickTime and not in the browser? Are you using a browser that doesn't support the HTML5 video tags or the H.264 codec?
  • Reply 34 of 77

Quote:

Why in QuickTime and not in the browser? Are you using a browser that doesn't support the HTML5 video tags or the H.264 codec?

Ok, on safari then. How to I play youtube videos on safari without extensions? Can you help me?

• Reply 35 of 77

He means in QuickTime, like I mentioned, as in an embedded QuickTime-style box, like when you use Click2Flash (or similar to what you see on the Apple trailers site).

I really don't see the issue with having Click2Flash in Safari. If anything, it'll make Safari run FASTER, since no Flash elements are loading without express permission. And it gives him exactly what he wants from YouTube.

• Reply 36 of 77
    What the heck is celtra.com and why did they show up when I tried to post here a few minutes ago?
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Ok, on safari then. How to I play youtube videos on safari without extensions? Can you help me?

TS already sent you the link for enabling HTML5 from YT. That's without any extensions.

I am curious why you are against any Safari extensions. If you have Flash installed you are clearly fine with plug-ins but you aren't with extensions? I don't get that.

Here is what Safari v6.0.2 with the Click2Flash v2.7.2 extension installed and active looks like on ML v10.8.2.

As you can see you have the Safari native controls for a video embedded within the HTML5 video tags. I have right-clicked on the window to show you additional options. As you can see the Click2Flash extension allows for for the easy download of the file.

• Reply 38 of 77
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He means in QuickTime, like I mentioned, as in an embedded QuickTime-style box, like when you use Click2Flash (or similar to what you see on the Apple trailers site).

I really don't see the issue with having Click2Flash in Safari. If anything, it'll make Safari run FASTER, since no Flash elements are loading without express permission. And it gives him exactly what he wants from YouTube.

I think the question is just how do you get Youtube videos to work in Safari at all. Do you have to install an extension of some kind, and why does it not work just using HTML5?

• Reply 39 of 77
    muppetry wrote: »
    I think the question is just how do you get Youtube videos to work in Safari at all. Do you have to install an extension of some kind, and why does it not work just using HTML5?

I'm still lost. YT has a switch you can enable so it will bypass Flash on any browser, including Chrome. I've never had YT video problems in YT. It's the only place that videos have always worked well.

I don't have Flash installed on my Mac. It's part of Chrome and I have Chrome as a backup but my Safari browser has no Flash plug-in installed. Well, until today so I just rant these tests, but it'll be removed shortly.
  • Reply 40 of 77

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Oh, it does! You don't need anything involving Flash, either vanilla or the Click2 variety. But apparently Google still hasn't made an HTML5 version of every video they have up, so he's having trouble seeing what he wants to see.