Opera unveils new 'Ice' mobile web browser for iOS and Android

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can think of one way VLC is better. image

C'mon, I'm ready :) (is it because of the URL bug? looks like it only happens on 10.8.2. A quick fix will come)

• Reply 62 of 77

Quote:

BTW, I've tested with success all the videos from post #49 with a 100% success rate. Complete fail in both MPlayerX and QuickTimeX. Must be the 'X' since that's the common factor.

That's just a bug (MplayerX).

Besides, I "can't" use VLC anymore. MplayerX UI, amazing and useful gestures, ability to always maintain aspect ratio when resizing the video, ability to remember when you last stopped (even when you close the app and open again), ability to go from ep1 to ep2 to ep3 (etc) automatically, makes MplayerX much superior, especially when you consider that it even plays more formats than VLC...

When this bug is fixed, it's 100-0.

• Reply 63 of 77

Quote:

BTW, I've tested with success all the videos from post #49 with a 100% success rate. Complete fail in both MPlayerX and QuickTimeX. Must be the 'X' since that's the common factor.

Do you have "QuickTime Player 7"?

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime

Cheers

• Reply 64 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I can never escape the feeling that there is something terribly terribly wrong with people who like and use Opera.  

Everything about their products seems different from others, but never for a good reason.  

One always gets the impression that they are chasing difference for different's sake alone. 

Are you implying that those who likes Opera is mentally wrong? How about people who use Safari is terribly terribly wrong as well? Now, I don't use Opera, but it has pioneered many of the features that were "different" and later adopted by all of the popular browsers today. A lot of these ideas were then borrowed by IE, FF, Safari, and Chrome. What do feel that's "different" about the Opera browser? I, for one, thank that they were different so that I can enjoy some of the features that we have today on all browsers.

1. One of the first to implement "tab browsing".

2. The first to implement "speed dial".

3. The first to implement "delete private data".

4. The first to implement "pop-up blocker".

• Reply 65 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    minicapt wrote: »
    Do you have "QuickTime Player 7"?
    http://support.apple.com/downloads/#quicktime

Cheers

I had it up until ML. I was under the (mistaken) impression it won't work with ML because it's PPC. I just installed it. No luck. Looks like VLC is still the best last resort for media even if it is the ugliest most janky interface I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
  • Reply 66 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

And the cynic in me has that statement nailed down as the number 1 reason why the windows versions will never be as good as the mac versions....

People still use Windows?

• Reply 67 of 77
    " Ice is based on WebKit, the same engine used by both Apple and Google"

should be "Ice is based on Apple's WebKit, the same engine used by Google's Android"
  • Reply 68 of 77

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

" Ice is based on WebKit, the same engine used by both Apple and Google"

should be "Ice is based on Apple's WebKit, the same engine used by Google's Android"

Yeah, but swap Android with Chrome.

• Reply 69 of 77
    *it makes me sick that most tech channels are flash only.

It makes me sick that most tech channels have their heads so far up Google's ass they can see the back of Eric Schmidt's throat.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It makes me sick that most tech channels have their heads so far up Google's ass they can see the back of Eric Schmidt's throat.

I'm pretty sure they're looking at his large intestine.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

i'm curious if opera is axing presto for webkit not because of choice but because they have to. Because of Apple's restrictions on browser makers using their own rendering engine and having to skin over the webkit (without Apple's Nitro) engine. Browser makers have been trying to figure out how to push out products on iOS for years, Ice is just another product in that vein. Maybe one day we can just get real official apps with their genuine rendering engines.

• Reply 72 of 77
    solipsismx wrote: »

Large indeed. He ties with George Lucas for largest collar size.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Eric is so full of it, do you think that free rectal screening would actually reveal anything but dark matter?

• Reply 74 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

People still use Windows?

At work a lot of us don't get much choice, although I have to say Windows 7 is generally a pretty decent OS - although that just might be in comparison to the demon spawn that was Vista...

At home I'm still trying to save for a Macbook Pro so I alternate between my iPad, mid 2011 Mac Mini (Mountain Lion) and a windows 7 laptop depending what I'm doing and which room I'm in at the time...

• Reply 75 of 77

Quote:

At work a lot of us don't get much choice, although I have to say Windows 7 is generally a pretty decent OS - although that just might be in comparison to the demon spawn that was Vista...

At home I'm still trying to save for a Macbook Pro so I alternate between my iPad, mid 2011 Mac Mini (Mountain Lion) and a windows 7 laptop depending what I'm doing and which room I'm in at the time...

Do not buy a Macbook pro at all, unless it is a retina model. I don't know what you need your mac to do, but I'm almost certain that a macbook pro is a very very stupid thing to buy right know. (that's my advice).

Why? The Air is much faster, unless you put an SSD model on the MBP. The air is much lighter, same battery life, has a screen with more resolution... But f*ck that... The huge difference is the SSD.

Then rumours are saying that Apple will kill the MBP, and that makes sense. I wouldn't buy a model that is going to be killed right after.

Both retina models are the best laptops available, but since they are version 1, you should wait a few months (since you are still in the progress of getting the necessary money). Most likely if Apple kills the regular pro-models (there's a big chance that this will happen) the retina models will be a little cheaper (version 2).

• Reply 76 of 77
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Do not buy a Macbook pro at all, unless it is a retina model. I don't know what you need your mac to do, but I'm almost certain that a macbook pro is a very very stupid thing to buy right know. (that's my advice).

Why? The Air is much faster, unless you put an SSD model on the MBP. The air is much lighter, same battery life, has a screen with more resolution... But f*ck that... The huge difference is the SSD.

Then rumours are saying that Apple will kill the MBP, and that makes sense. I wouldn't buy a model that is going to be killed right after.

Both retina models are the best laptops available, but since they are version 1, you should wait a few months (since you are still in the progress of getting the necessary money). Most likely if Apple kills the regular pro-models (there's a big chance that this will happen) the retina models will be a little cheaper (version 2).

The current MacBook Pro is an excellent machine, and I don't know why you would tell someone not to buy one.

It is only a RUMOR that the current form factor is going to be replaced by the Retina models, but I honestly don't see that happening this year. The price of the Retina models is still too high.

Apple may axe the drives this year in the non-Retina models, but that would be a negative for most people anyway.

Anyway @DaveMcM76 save up for your MacBook Pro and you won't regret it. It'll last you a good long time too. My MacBook before it is still running today 7 years strong.

• Reply 77 of 77
    mstone wrote: »
    Eric is so full of it, do you think that free rectal screening would actually reveal anything but dark matter?

I'm sure there would be nuggets of information about his diet.