Verizon planned to make Siri an Android exclusive before Apple purchase

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50

I use it all the time for texting my wife (and the other carpool moms) when I drop the kids off at school in the morning. Any reminder I want to make? Siri. Reading incoming texts when driving, launching an app, scores, movies, general information, a few jokes (Two iPhones walk into a bar...)...

"Take me home" and off it goes.

Yeah, all the time. It is a great search tool.

I do have an accent (Boston accent influenced by 6 years in SC), so sometimes I need to be deliberate with my words. But as others said, the more you use it the better it is and more predictive it can be.

It knows who to text or call when I say wife, mom, dad, etc.

also, I noticed if you want a ? you need to say questionmark, other wise it will write question mark

• Reply 22 of 50
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member

use it occasionally like asking Weather, and NFL playoff schedule, movies etc without unlocking the phone. the integration between Siri and Map is also very useful

• Reply 23 of 50
    "Remind me that I need eggs when I get to ACME" - Siri is great for things like that. Also great for invoking maps/directions while driving.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

I stopped using Siri. It was more problem free to type a question to Google rather than have Siri misunderstand me. Too frustrating.

• Reply 25 of 50
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

I'm curious how many users actually get a lot of value out of Siri.  It's not a bad idea, and it has certainly gotten better (and will continue to do so).  But at the current stage...do a lot of you guys use it frequently and get much out of it?

I myself never really use it after exploring it for a bit.  I found it sort of cumbersome for getting things done.  But, I might not represent the broader Apple base...

i use it daily! I'm a home health nurse and spend a lot of time in my car. I use siri to bring up phone numbers, texting and map info on a regular basis. It's not without its hiccups, but hits much more often than misses!

• Reply 26 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I frequently use the dictation feature on the Mac too.

How do you do this??

• Reply 27 of 50
    What kind of fool would be looking up an address that you're already at??

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19519/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

edit: a Switcher ¡
  • Reply 28 of 50

Siri is ok for creating reminders, but I always get errors when trying to use her for search.  Being honest - Google's search app with voice is much faster and returns better results.  And it probably always will, because after all, Google is a data company, Apple is not.  I hope Apple continues to develop Siri and work on any server issues.

• Reply 29 of 50
    I use Siri and voice input all the time. It's quite easy, not at all "cumbersome." But that's different standard for each person.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    wubbus wrote: »
    I'm curious how many users actually get a lot of value out of Siri.  It's not a bad idea, and it has certainly gotten better (and will continue to do so).  But at the current stage...do a lot of you guys use it frequently and get much out of it?

I myself never really use it after exploring it for a bit.  I found it sort of cumbersome for getting things done.  But, I might not represent the broader Apple base...

It's great for posting to forums like this… while surfing on my iPad in bed.

I also use it all the time to get sports scores and schedules... On the couch in front of the tube. It's amazing how well it does filtering out the background noise coming from the TV.

I frequently use the dictation feature on the Mac too.
    I take it you live alone.
  • Reply 31 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Awww, come on. Apple's highly innovative, not a corporte behemoth that buys innovation out of competitors.

Innovate, don't litigate, Android.

In other words, innovate, so Samsung et al can copy whatever you do.

• Reply 32 of 50
    I'm waiting for the e-mail integration, then I think I'd use it all the time. I don't use it to look places up very often because the Maps on iOS 6 frankly are horrible. Finding out that it's using a lot of old data from OpenStreetMap makes a lot of sense now that I see the results. I tried using OpenStreet once before & found it to be just like a lot of other open projects, nice idea but very buggy & incomplete. Apple needs to just pony up & pay for map data from someone the way other GPS apps do, or maybe they should have bought out MapQuest. The 3D buildings are cool where they work but they are hardly functional for everyday use. I actually love the functionality of Google's new Maps app much better than the old iOS version, but it does suck the battery out of my phone like nobody's business. Would be really nice if they did what CoPilot does where you can do directions & it only shows the map when you are within a certain distance from your turn, saves a ton of battery in those situations I need a quick GPS but don't have my charger.

Man I wandered way off topic, sorry about that.
  • Reply 33 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

How do you do this??

The default shortcut to start dictation on your Mac is pressing the Function (Fn) key twice. The first time you try to start dictation, you'll be prompted to enable it.

• Reply 34 of 50

I use it a fair amount. It's great in the car when you need simple answers that don't need to be read. (If you turn on certain other features, then Siri's more complicated responses will be read back to you.)

But, I find it most useful for making quick notes, setting alarms, setting caledar events and reminders, and dictating.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I use it constantly.

"Remind me to take out the garbage when I get home." Location based reminder set up in about 5 seconds.

"Remind me to call my grandmother tomorrow at 3pm." Time based reminder set up in about 5 seconds.

"Directions to blah blah blah." Get directions in about 5 seconds

"Set alarm for 28 minutes" Set an alarm in about 5 seconds. Used this today when at a parking meter that was only for 30 minutes.

"Add to Grocery Note eggs." Update the note in about 5 seconds. Because you can have multiple notes this can sometimes be tricky. Every now and then it looks for a note that is the name of the item I wish to add. It works better if you first find the proper note and then say add but that then becomes a 2 stage process making it take about 7 seconds. *gasp*

No need for going through apps, then fields, then typing in the data. I'm quite surprised by iPhone owners that see me do these simple commands don't know it's an option. "Work smarter, not harder." ~Scrooge McDuck

That said, there are a lot of changes I'd like to see. For instance, if something requires searching via your chosen search engine then allow that to happen without being pushed to Safari or requiring the extra steps to get there. This one thing making Google's option look more refined.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    I am replying with dictation but I don't think I can get used to this. It gets things wrong sometimes. Maybe it's just not used my voice.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    <span style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:20px;">The default shortcut to start dictation on your Mac is pressing the Function (Fn) key twice. The first time you try to start dictation, you'll be prompted to enable it.</span>

This message was dictated in mountain lion to send a message to Dick Applebaum. Okay now how do I turn this thing off? Let me try this key.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    vaelian wrote: »
    I am replying with dictation but I don't think I can get used to this. It gets things wrong sometimes. Maybe it's just not used my voice.

In that regard the tech is still young. It will learn from you to an extent but they will need something more high-level if they want to truly understand everyone's language, dialect, cultural terminology, phonemes, speech impediments, etc. It's a daunting task.

I had hoped Apple would use a well written paragraph that you can read to Siri when you first get your device so that it can then have all the needed parts to understand most of the items above for analyzing to speed up the learning process.

• Reply 39 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Siri is ok for creating reminders, but I always get errors when trying to use her for search.  Being honest - Google's search app with voice is much faster and returns better results. 

Especially with the nifty, "He now praises the iPad," feature. image

• Reply 40 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

At least using Siri for TXT avoids the often vulgar auto correction feature implemented when typing in iOS. image

Does anyone know a way to turn auto correction off yet leave spelling correction on so it just underlines with squiggly red lines the words it suspects are incorrect? It is particularly annoying when you speak more than one language. In my opinion, it is perfectly reasonable to be able to TXT in Spanish using an English keyboard except iOS doesn't seem to allow it. I would rather have mispelled words than complete nonsense any day. Siri is pretty useful for setting reminders but rather useless for text input because it is so tedious to go back to check everything and fix all the errors.