Apple to spend $10 billion on innovation, expansion in 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stelligent wrote: »

To be fair, such innovations were novel ideas that were developed into equipment/hardware, and not equipment that were simply purchased. But the rest of his point is just troll material.

All equipment, all machines were at one time or another a novel and unique concept.

How did Apple get 2048x1536 IPS displays with a 264 PPI mass produced before anyone else? What about the 326 PPI IPS displays from 2010? There were plenty of evidence years before where Apple invested in companies that make and design displays. How is that not innovation?
  • Reply 22 of 59
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

It's questionable that the capex described herein can be seriously considered as innovation. Perhaps the equipment will facilitate the manufacturing of innovative products. But equipment purchase is no more an act of innovation than building a warehouse and housing the R&D team therein. Might get R&D tax credits but that's it.

Second, maybe Samsung is cutting back from capex because Apple is buying the equipment for them image

It all depends on how they use the equipment, no?

• Reply 23 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All equipment, all machines were at one time or another a novel and unique concept.

That's not what the article is about. But I won't belabor the point because, arguably, there could be business innovation in how they purchase and use the equipment. And I don't mean this sarcastically.

• Reply 24 of 59

That's not what the article is about. But I won't belabor the point because, arguably, there could be business innovation in how they purchase and use the equipment. And I don't mean this sarcastically.

I previous poster changed the topic. I just commented on it accordingly. As for business innovation I've long argued that Dell, HP, et al. have been innovating in the PC market. Not so much with technology and certainly not in the way Apple has but they have been finding new ways to cut corners and turn a profit on inexpensive machines. Selling space on their machines for pre-installed trial programs I found to be a clever albeit despicable act. Using about 5GB of HDD space for a secret partition that stored the entire OS instead of including a DVD was another one.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Crazy part is that no matter what they do some loud mouth minority will be all the place bad mouthing it with their stock analyst brethren
  • Reply 26 of 59

Quote:

I previous poster changed the topic. I just commented on it accordingly. As for business innovation I've long argued that Dell, HP, et al. have been innovating in the PC market. Not so much with technology and certainly not in the way Apple has but they have been finding new ways to cut corners and turn a profit on inexpensive machines. Selling space on their machines for pre-installed trial programs I found to be a clever albeit despicable act. Using about 5GB of HDD space for a secret partition that stored the entire OS instead of including a DVD was another one.

Since you have made an interesting turn here, I will renege on my promise not to belabor the point.

I do agree that Dell has been innovating in the PC space. To be precise, they had innovated. In addition to what you mentioned, Michael Dell was a first mover (or one of them) in direct sales and large scale e-commerce. Dell's supply chain management was the stuff of envy before Apple took over as the kingpin. Much changed when Kevin Rollins, the COO who made Dell so efficient, was promoted to the CEO role (interesting parallel with Apple, to a small extent). These days, I don't know what Dell is really doing that truly stands out.

The success of HP's printer business was no accident. There were innovations on both the technology and business fronts. But again, they seem to be struggling much. I don't know if Meg Whitman is the right person to turn around the ship. She seems to be have the ruthless business smarts to run a corporation, and is simply not tech savvy.

• Reply 27 of 59

Originally Posted by KingChael View Post

Totally clueless and inept management.  Could care less about shareholders, all about stroking its ego that is left now.

¡

• Reply 28 of 59
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Innovation refers to the notion of doing something different (Lat. innovare: "to change") rather than doing the same thing better.

2007 - iPhone

2010 - iPad

2013 - ?

I think we're due

• Reply 29 of 59
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Innovation refers to the notion of doing something different (Lat. innovare: "to change") rather than doing the same thing better.

2007 - iPhone
    2010 - iPad
    2013 - ?

I think we're due

How is better achieved in business if through some form of change? If you don't think the Retina MacBook Pro is innovative, for example, then what is so innovative about the iPhone or iPad? They both use metal, glass, touchscreens, processors, wireless radios, etc. It's all stuff that existed long before these products arrived.

And what about the iPod in your list? That was 2001. That means 6 years between the iPod and the iPhone so why does Apple have to have an entirely new product type and category this year or else?
  • Reply 30 of 59

…why does Apple have to have an entirely new product type and category this year or else?

But the stock! You saw! Stale! Steve's dead! No xMac! Other clichés!

• Reply 31 of 59

Apple is often credited with producing products that "enrich people's lives". iPhone, iPad and yes iPod fall into those categories. Don't know about you but 'Friction Stir Welding' doesn't enrich my life.

• Reply 32 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Apple is often credited with producing products that "enrich people's lives". iPhone, iPad and yes iPod fall into those categories. Don't know about you but 'Friction Stir Welding' doesn't enrich my life.

Well, it enriches my life. So suck it.

• Reply 33 of 59

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Well, it enriches my life. So suck it.

Ew. Soggy cereal.

• Reply 34 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I don't completely disagree. But as someone else pointed out above, this is about Apple's capital expenditures - i.e. direct purchasing of equipment. So it's hard to call this innovation until/unless we see how they are using it.

There are two answers to that.

First, much of the new equipment DOES have a direct impact on their ability to produce innovative products. Friction Stir Welding, for example. Or the tooling and equipment needed to make the direct bonded screens in the iMac. Or the tooling and equipment to produce the beveled edges of the iPhone. Or the equipment to assemble the motherboards for the MBA which is a key part of their ability to make it so thin and light.

More importantly, though, as far as stock price is concerned, Apple is putting $10 B into capital equipment - an astounding number - and still expecting profits to continue to grow. That indicates a huge confidence in their ability to continue to grow sales.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

The fact that there is a massive backlog for the iMac says that it clearly enriches a lot of peoples' lives.
  • Reply 36 of 59

Fine, you're talking about a complete product that redefined and invigorates a market note just a new technique or innovation that serves as a part of the product, but what about the 6 years between the iPod and iPhone? That was all within Steve Jobs's reign. Before that is was 1984 since the first iMac.

What's silly is to say "it's been long enough Apple needs something shiny and new to look at" like you have the attention span of Honey Boo Boo what is the benefit of releasing an entirely new product category on a set schedule if there is no product they think they can tackle and there is still plenty of growth and development they can make in their current offerings.

Do you know why Apple has been successful since Jobs's came back? It wasn't from the suggestions you make but from seeing an opportunity and jumping on with a laser focus. If that opportunity isn't there why force it into existence simply because you want to match the iPhone to iPad's timeframe?

Personally, I think there is an opening coming for Apple to enter the HEC market with full force. I also speculate that their update of so many products last Autumn leaves a huge gap this Winter/Spring which could be for a new product offering. That said, it's because of other forces at play, not because I looked at one time based metric and determined everything else should follow that same cycle.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    jragosta wrote: »
    The fact that there is a massive backlog for the iMac says that it clearly enriches a lot of peoples' lives.

Bought mine two weeks now. I'll be doing the Snoopy dance as soon as it going from Processing to Preparing.
  • Reply 38 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or the tooling and equipment to produce the beveled edges of the iPhone. 

I rest my case.

• Reply 39 of 59

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I rest my case.

What case? Someone please make a friction stir welding joke…

• Reply 40 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What case? Someone please make a friction stir welding joke…

Trolls don't need a case. They feel incredibly vindicated by the mere fact that they type something, no matter how false, ridiculous, or asinine. 

I wouldn't mind friction stir welding some trolls.