Apple to spend $10 billion on innovation, expansion in 2013

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Innovation means the implementation and thus the build out of new equipment in Manufacturing, end consumer products and facilities.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kingchael wrote: »
    Totally clueless and inept management.  Could care less about shareholders, all about stroking its ego that is left now.
    [SIZE=256px]¡[/SIZE]

LOVE IT!
    What case? Someone please make a friction stir welding joke…

• Reply 43 of 59
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    inkling wrote: »
    Let's hope they spend at least a few million to improve OS X's text services, which seem virtually untouched since 10.2. The spell-checker's suggestions draw a blank about a third the time for me, which is a real time waster.

Building ePub into the system like PDF is has long been overdue. Named styles have been in Word since at least the late 1980s. It's time they came to OS X text apps, particularly since that'd make working with ePub export much better. And GREP for InDesign is such a delight, it'd be great if Apple would add a system-wide GREP with numerous included S&Rs.

Given the time most of us spend dealing with text, improving how Macs handle text would make our lives more productive.

Or Just 100M per year, Hire more Software Engineers, Apple is seriously spreading itself too thin. They especially need more help in Web Services.
  • Reply 44 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How is better achieved in business if through some form of change? If you don't think the Retina MacBook Pro is innovative, for example, then what is so innovative about the iPhone or iPad? They both use metal, glass, touchscreens, processors, wireless radios, etc. It's all stuff that existed long before these products arrived.

And what about the iPod in your list? That was 2001. That means 6 years between the iPod and the iPhone so why does Apple have to have an entirely new product type and category this year or else?

All their 'revolutionary' products have been improvements over existing products.  Apple is great at taking an existing product and making it accessible to everyone and I think that is where their core strength lies.  Their UIs are easy to use, their products look great and they are great at shrinking down existing technology to razor thin proportions.  iPod, iTunes, App Store, iPhone, iPad were not the first of their kind but they definitely the firsts to knock it out of the ballpark in their respective areas. 

Personally, I think they are going to do the TV thing.  If only to pay back Samsung for disrupting things in the phone market.  I think they will shake things up and everyone will be better off for it as it will spur some pretty strong competition.

• Reply 45 of 59
    slurpy wrote: »
    Trolls don't need a case. They feel incredibly vindicated by the mere fact that they type something, no matter how false, ridiculous, or asinine. 
    I wouldn't mind friction stir welding some trolls. 

Now THERE is a great idea for a new game in the App Store! Something along the lines of Whack-A-Troll, only the goal is to make the largest clump of trolls welded together ... :)
  • Reply 46 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Innovation means the implementation and thus the build out of new equipment in Manufacturing, end consumer products and facilities.

And to take it further, the past has proven that Apple's supply constraint was the biggest problem (not to give a pass on other much needed improvements, like iCloud, maps, new offerings, etc.).

So many people come on this board and recommend intelligent ideas (almost always in hind sight) like Apple should've closed the China Mobile deal, launched a cheaper iPad, offer a nano iPhone, increase the higher end products, etc.  Those are all good ideas that I love to talk about as well....but quite frankly it wouldn't have mattered since Apple couldn't make iPhones, iPads or Macs fast enough.

If there's anything that needs "fixing" it's supply chain and manufacturing.  Tim Cook knows it, Apple knows it, hence the $8B capex (most of it going to investments in "partners").  This is big news.

• Reply 47 of 59
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There are two answers to that.

First, much of the new equipment DOES have a direct impact on their ability to produce innovative products. Friction Stir Welding, for example. Or the tooling and equipment needed to make the direct bonded screens in the iMac. Or the tooling and equipment to produce the beveled edges of the iPhone. Or the equipment to assemble the motherboards for the MBA which is a key part of their ability to make it so thin and light.

More importantly, though, as far as stock price is concerned, Apple is putting $10 B into capital equipment - an astounding number - and still expecting profits to continue to grow. That indicates a huge confidence in their ability to continue to grow sales.

Neither the beveled edge on the iPhone nor the tooling used to produce constitutes innovation. Don't get me wrong. It's a marvelous design. But innovation it is not. Friction stir welding has been around for 20 years. You might argue that adopting it for making computer screens is innovative. The resulting loss in bulk certainly backs that up. But the innovation is in the design itself and not the act of mass purchase of equipment.

Your second (more important) points is not about innovation.

I agree that this kind of spending conveys confidence. But tying it to innovation is presumptive and likely inaccurate.

I won't belabor the point. Most people don't get innovation anyway.

• Reply 48 of 59

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Now THERE is a great idea for a new game in the App Store! Something along the lines of Whack-A-Troll, only the goal is to make the largest clump of trolls welded together ... image

Katrollmari Damacy?

• Reply 49 of 59
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Reply 50 of 59
    stelligent wrote: »

Neither the beveled edge on the iPhone nor the tooling used to produce constitutes innovation. Don't get me wrong. It's a marvelous design. But innovation it is not. Friction stir welding has been around for 20 years. You might argue that adopting it for making computer screens is innovative. The resulting loss in bulk certainly backs that up. But the innovation is in the design itself and not the act of mass purchase of equipment.

I agree that this kind of spending conveys confidence. But tying it to innovation is presumptive and likely inaccurate.

Amen. But you're just repeating my point.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Katrollmari Damacy?

Gezundheit! :)
  • Reply 52 of 59
  • Reply 53 of 59
    :\
  • Reply 54 of 59

• Reply 55 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Innovation means ideas, not equipment. Of which Apple is struggling for recently. And doesn't it already employ all the smartest guys in the room?

Ok, so to MY understanding - Innovation is the by-product of 'GREAT' new ideas... and the ability to EXECUTE those ideas using the latest cutting edge technologies, materials, and methodologies - at least 'in this context'.

Way too many idiots out there like "hentaiboy" who have there noses pressed so firmly on the 'shaft Apple glass' to actually pull back their faces from the 'said glass', and understand the basic concept around the "INNOVATION PROCESS"...

Get some knowledge behind your comments or get a Manufacturing Technology Degree!

e.g. i want to create the greatest new technology that no-one has ever seen before... with my hammer and nails?!

OR...

I'm going to invest billions on some next level shizzle R&D plant, some servers to support my growing software business etc, etc, etc...

and hey presto...

the next big thing!

do you really think Johnny Ive just sits in his lab redesigning a new version of an existing incumbent and ultra successful series of products...iMac, iPhone, iPad... (he most likely has a team under him doing that - which he personally oversees).  I would say he probably has one of THE most fricken amazing ULTRA TECH LABS in the world at his fingertips?  and he just got a BILLION DOLLAR UPGRADE for Christmas!!!

Come on people, a little less jibe and a bit more common sense PLEASE!@#!

• Reply 56 of 59
    @dogchop99
    I'm sure many agree with you, but I think we can all do with a little less 'dweeb' and such. Please
  • Reply 57 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

ACTUALLY stelligent... it's YOU who don't get INNOVATION... so how exactly does one 'create' tech innovation... obviously by your comments NOT by investing in 'people', 'their ideas', and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the ability to EXECUTE those people's 'cutting edge ideas'...

hmmmm, you present a very interesting philosophy...

Please DO belabor the point, I really can't wait to see how big a hole you can actually dig yourself!

• Reply 58 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

@dogchop99

I'm sure many agree with you, but I think we can all do with a little less 'dweeb' and such. Please

Hi Phil,

the point I'm trying to make here, is that there is far too much misinformed and unconsidered comment around this idea of what constitutes APPLE's 'INNOVATION'.

If people are prepared to just put that kind of drivel out there, it deserves to be treated as such - period.

However, my apologies if I've offended 'you'

• Reply 59 of 59
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogchop99 View Post

ACTUALLY stelligent... it's YOU who don't get INNOVATION... so how exactly does one 'create' tech innovation... obviously by your comments NOT by investing in 'people', 'their ideas', and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the ability to EXECUTE those people's 'cutting edge ideas'...

hmmmm, you present a very interesting philosophy...

Please DO belabor the point, I really can't wait to see how big a hole you can actually dig yourself!

Take a deep breath. You sound like you're hyperventilating.

People? I didn't know the article was about spending $10B on people. If that's the case, I am red-faced. Big hole in the ground indeed. $10B to be spent on hiring innovative engineers.

p.s. Didn't know CapEx was code word for hiring. Thanks for the tip.