Apple and Samsung help drive global smartphone shipments to record 700M units in 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New research released on Thursday from market analysis firm Strategy Analytics shows that Samsung and Apple drove global smartphone shipment growth to a massive 43 percent in 2012, which amounted to a record breaking 700 million units shipped, with the Korean company's share skyrocketing to nearly one third of the market.

iPhone 4

According to the firm's Wireless Smartphone Strategies (WSS) service, Samsung took the lion's share of shipments with a 30.4 percent slice of the market to extend its already wide lead over second and third place manufacturers Apple and Nokia.

In 2012, Apple shipped some 135.8 million iPhones, the only smartphone line sold by the Cupertino, Calif., company, while Samsung's diverse lineup of handsets brought in 213 million shipments. Nokia came in a distant third with 35 million units shipped last year.

Global Smartphone Shipments
Source: Strategy Analytics

Samsung's performance amounted to the most units ever shipped by a smartphone vendor in a single year, smashing Nokia's 2010 record of 100.1 million units shipped.

As for Apple, the company also saw strong shipments and grew 46 percent annually to garner 19.4 percent of the global market in 2012. The performance is almost identical to the iPhone's 19 percent marketshare captured in 2011. Strategy Analytics said Apple's growth was somewhat stunted due to the company's limited presence in developing regions like Africa.

Global Smartphone Share

Smartphone adoption is booming, clearly seen by a recent report that found the worldwide market stood at just over one billion users at the end of 2012's third quarter.

"By the third quarter of 2011, we estimate there were 708 million smartphones in use worldwide," said Strategy Analytics Senior Analyst Scott Bicheno at the time. After a further year of soaring demand, the number of smartphones in use worldwide reached 1.038 billion units during the third quarter of 2012.?

On a month-to-month basis, worldwide smartphone shipments grew 38 percent, jumping from 157 million units shipped in the fourth quarter of 2011 to 217 million in quarter four 2012. The huge boost was was included in the 700.1 million units shipped over the course of last year, compared to 490.5 million in 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48

Well, there's something that Cook and company can figure out...

... how to get more of Samsung's customers.

There must be quite a few top end customers that Apple can win over.

The question is "how?".

• Reply 2 of 48
    Samsung has 30% market share, and Apple has +90% of the profits.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    The real story is Nokia's collapse. Pre-2009 they dominated all segments of the market, and as late as early 2011 still dominated the low and middle segments. That changed when they announced their switch to Windows Phone nearly a year before the phones were ready to ship. They "Osborned" themselves. Samsung swooped in and took over those segments, and then came in with the Galaxy series to attack the high end. That said, most of Samsung's sales are still in the low to mid range.

The iPhone line does fine against the Galaxy line. If Apple wants to grow, they might consider something in the mid range. Let Samsung and the others fight over the low-end.
  • Reply 4 of 48

Samsung can ship as many phones as they would like, but it's really the sales that matter. I'm sure they sold a lot of phones, but this whole thing of looking at shipments is really just smoke. They could have shipped them all into the ocean for all I care.

Samsung also created a thousand variations of their phones too. For Apple there is discipline and actual design and feature decisions that are made; at Samsung, every idea is a good idea and they will try to sell whatever they think people would be willing to buy. It's a completely different mentality. 

• Reply 5 of 48
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

In 2012, Apple shipped some 135.8 million iPhones, the only model sold by the Cupertino, Calif., company,

Aren't 3 models of the iPhone currently being sold? (5, 4s, 4)
  • Reply 6 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That's like saying Bill Gates and I have a combined net worth of $61 billion. j/k
  • Reply 7 of 48
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Smartphone adoption is booming, clearly seen by a recent report that found the global smartphone market stood at just over one billion users at the end of 2012's third quarter.

That really caught my eye.   Thinking back, at six year intervals, it was roughly like this...

• 1994 = first ever smartphone, the IBM Simon

• 2000 =  smartphone sales begin to take off

• 2006 =  100 million smartphone users

• 2012 =  1 billion smartphones users

What next by 2018?

• Reply 8 of 48
    Damn... Nokia is in 3rd place.... I feel bad for 4th, 5th, 6th place and so on.

Not that it's a contest or anything... but damn...

Samsung and Apple are definitely forces to be reckoned with.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

What an assinine and sensational headline, that means jack. Nokia shipped almost nothing, so "Apple and Nokia combined" is just used to add drama. Yes, Samsung shipped more phones than Apple, because Apple only produces high end phones, and Samsung has like 45,205 phone models and a shitload of pay as you go and dirt cheap junk. If Apple wanted to, they could make a $100 if they wanted to. But clealry they don't, and they shouldn't. But glad to see AppleInsider consistent with the anti-Apple trolling. I'm wondering what site I can go to that isn't negative headline after negative headline, every single day? Clearly even the Apple fansites have a fetish for mindlessly shitting on Apple as much as they can. 

Also, I'm sure Samsung, a South Korean company, is giddy at how US media has been shitting on their own US company and rooting for Samsung instead. It's nauseating. 

• Reply 10 of 48
    Not sure why we sure should believe *any* figures concerning their phones when Samsung refuses to release official numbers, as Apple did yesterday. Analysts are free to put out just about any staistics, with no legal consequences.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Good for Shamsung.
  • Reply 12 of 48

Didn't they lie about shipments (not sales, shipments) before, and it was discovered in court? Why would we trust them now?

• Reply 13 of 48
    Another negative and really pointless article giving the wrong perception off Apple. People with less knowledge about Apple could really be misled into tho thinking Apple is a looser. A big mistake. Apple insider defiantly isn't doing Apple any favors. It's time to remove it from my homepage!
  • Reply 14 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

That really caught my eye.   Thinking back, at six year intervals, it was roughly like this...

• 1994 = first ever smartphone, the IBM Simon

• 2000 =  smartphone sales begin to take off

• 2006 =  100 million smartphone users

• 2012 =  1 billion smartphones users

What next by 2018?

I don't think there will be the smartphone as we know it in 2018. There will be some sort of wearable equivalent.

• Reply 15 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastersplinter View Post

Samsung has 30% market share, and Apple has +90% of the profits.

Awesome.  Why should I, as a shareholder of neither company, care?

Apples next advert.

The new iPhone.  Now with more profit.

• Reply 16 of 48
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Didn't I just read that Apple sold more smartphones in the latest quarter than all Android device makers combined?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Haha, in most European markets Samsung has been running a two for one promotion for over a year. That mean they're "shipping" two phones for every one customer, skewing the sales figures, and who knows how much the carriers are subsidizing. This is a perfect illustration of how market share is meaningless. Half of these shipped smartphones are going unised or immediately injected into the second hand market. Meanwhile Apple ships half as many but reaps ten times the profit.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Wow, this headline exists to inflame not to inform.  Sheesh.  This is the end of my visiting Appleinsider on a daily basis.

The tone of AI has become too hyped up, distorted and anti-apple for my taste.

Kindle Fire blows past iPads to destroy them over Christmas!  iPhone 5 demand falls by 50%! 

I get it.  Misleading Applebashing headlines gets eyeballs, and this is a business, with the goals of disparaging Apple these days and attracting viewers to increase ad revenue.

Anyone have suggestions for more rational, balanced and accurate sites to follow and discuss Apple?  

Macrumors?  The Mac Observer?  Isn't there a French site that offers a less sensationalistic approach?  Thanks.

• Reply 19 of 48

Apple's Biggest PR Weapon in One Word - SUPPORT!!!!

Apple Stores + Toll Free Apple Phone Support are Apple's BIGGEST WEAPON! That combination is unmatched by any other tech company!!!! Apple should brag about their support, and REALLY LOUD!!!! 

If a Customer is having an issue with a Mac or iOS product, they have Toll Free PHONE SUPPORT, plus Apple Stores, but none of Apple's Competitors have anything remotely comparable to that!!! Except maybe 1 or 2 Microsoft Stores!!!  

On the days of Big Sell Offs, such PR CLARITY is missing in Apple's PR!!!!

It'd be great if someone reminded Apple's PR about that OBVIOUS PR "WEAPON" = SUPPORT!!! 

When iPhone was introduced in 2007, the Macworld Banner at Mascone Center said: 

We Gotta Talk!!!! 

Who can one talk to as far as Android? Google doesn't have stores, nor Phone Support! 

Do Samsung and other Android Vendors, or Cell Carriers have anything like AppleCare? 

Do any of them have: 

Screen Sharing, where Tech Support can see Customer's Screen, and see exactly what's going on?  

Individual Followup, like AppleCare does!

Repair Facilities?

Do they have all that Support Centralize as Apple does, and not just in the USA?!?!

No, I am not saying that Apple Stores and AppleCare are Perfect, but, compared to Apple's Competitors, it's not even a Contest!

Cell Carriers are pathetic as far as Support!

None of those Vendors can be compared to Apple's Support! 

The Old http://www.apple.com/getamac Compaign is now http://www.apple.com/why-mac/ It should be expanded to iOS and Showcase how Macs and iOS All Work Together with iCloud!!! All Under AppleCare Support, plus Appe Retail Stores! 

It'd be great if someone reminded Apple's PR about that OBVIOUS PR "WEAPON" = SUPPORT!!!  

The Insane Analysts make it sound like nobody wants iPhones or Mac, and the Sky Is Falling, with Apple about to close it's stores:)!! But if that is true, what are people buying instead? Samsung? 

TV Media is particularly annoying, trying to sum up such falcehood panic into short soundbites, that add to the panic! 

For as long as Macs and iOS are Integrated, and Supported as well, or even better than now, I say that nobody can compete with them! And, if that Support Factor continues with all its future products, TV, or whatever, Apple will be Un-Defeated!

It's amazing that Apple provides such SUPPORT and is still is making Biggest Profits, Selling Most Expensive High End Products! At the same time, Apple's Competitors are Saving Money by not providing such caliber Support as Apple does, and, after they save that Money, they still can't make Profits anywhere near Apples!

I don't hear too many stories about criminals trying to steal Samsung or other Non-Apple Products, but they do rob Apple Store, and people with iOS Devices! Obviously, I'd rather not see such "compliments" and "endorsements" from criminals… I'd rather not see any crime like that! 

Whenever I ask teenagers this Q: 

If money was non-issue, would you pick iPhone, or iPad vs Androids like Samsung etc? 

The Answer is always - iPhone!!! That's what Kids Really Want, if they had the $$$!!!!

It'd be great if someone mentioned that to Analysts and the Media!!!!

On the days of Big Sell Offs, such PR CLARITY is missing in Apple's PR!!!! But, even when AAPL is back at $700 and higher, that PR CLARITY about SUPPORT, should become Synonymous with Apple Brand! 

I can't wait to see Apple's TV Commercials Drilling Into Public's Heads that BIG THEME: 

APPLE SUPPORT = APPLECARE PHONE SUPPORT + APPLE STORES!!!

APPLE SUPPORT = APPLECARE PHONE SUPPORT + APPLE STORES!!!

• Reply 20 of 48
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What an assinine and sensational headline, that means jack. Nokia shipped almost nothing, so "Apple and Nokia combined" is just used to add drama. Yes, Samsung shipped more phones than Apple, because Apple only produces high end phones, and Samsung has like 45,205 phone models and a shitload of pay as you go and dirt cheap junk. If Apple wanted to, they could make a $100 if they wanted to. But clealry they don't, and they shouldn't. But glad to see AppleInsider consistent with the anti-Apple trolling. I'm wondering what site I can go to that isn't negative headline after negative headline, every single day? Clearly even the Apple fansites have a fetish for mindlessly shitting on Apple as much as they can. 

Also, I'm sure Samsung, a South Korean company, is giddy at how US media has been shitting on their own US company and rooting for Samsung instead. It's nauseating. 

It is ok every dog has its day, remember everyone was tooting Ericsson, nokia, palm and today it is Samsung, well the end id nigh, just a matter of time when everything will turn sour and it is a poisonous touch when the press starts to talk about it and not a blessing.