Apple TV software update adds Bluetooth keyboard support, hints at new hardware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64

AppleTV needs apps.  There are really only two things the current AppleTV doesn't support, that's 3D and an App store.  Technically you don't need a new AppleTV to have an App store, but more memory would certainly be useful for that as some of the current memory needs to be set aside for storing video.

• Reply 42 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Definitely. I have a really long Apple ID /password for my iTunes account and an equally complex wifi password. Occasionally my aTV loses the connection requiring the re-input of the everything. Honestly, the last time that happened it took me around 4-5 tries to finally get it connected again. I wonder if the new BT keyboard will allow pairing out of the box to avoid that crazy Apple remote interface.

That seems odd. I have a 6-year-old or older Airport Express and I use my newer gen Atv everyday; I've only had to re-enter my password once in many, many months.

• Reply 43 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes even less sense.  What does ... "My brother in-law receive on for Xmas."  mean exactly?  

Even if I take "on" as meaning "one," it can only refer to a "Windows machine"since you can't get updates for Xmas and grammatically, you're referring to the sentence immediately previous.  So you want us to believe that your brother got a brand new Windows computer, but discovered it didn't stream iTunes content as well as he'd like and ditched the entire machine as a result?  (without trying to find out what the problem even was BTW)

That's just crazy talk.  

I mean it's hard to know what you're even talking about here.  Are you on iTunes match?  Are you trying to stream from the cloud without it? (because up until today it didn't work that way).  Or are you not talking about Windows computers at all and rather are talking about AppleTV?  If it's Apple TV ... again, before today it didn't work that way unless you have iTunes Match.  

Finally, if you're talking about iTunes Match, then yeah... I've heard it's not ready for prime time also and that there are lots of bugs, but that isn't what the article is about and isn't anything to do with the streaming that we are talking about as a result.  

I have no intention of dignifying your rudeness with any other response!

• Reply 44 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't have an Apple TV. I have a PS3 and a Roku for Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and several more channels along with Plex and Playback for streaming content from my Macs. Does the Apple TV not allowing using an iPhone or iPad's keyboard for search now? A BT keyboard could also be useful, but using your iPhone as a remote and also to search for titles would seem to be even easier. Is this not possible now?

Obviously for Netflix you could just just open the app, search for a title then add to your instant queue, but is it possible to do that directly from the Apple TV screen?

I also wonder if Apple will ever open up a bit to add more channels. Roku has tons of private channels to choose from like CNN, Vevo, TuneIn, SyFy, Pandora, Weather, and even Facebook. Apple TV would be a lot more useful with more content.

You can add content to your Instant Queue with the included remote. I actually find that Apple's little remote is a bit easier to use than the Remote app I have on my iPhone. The app remote is dog slow and the Ui/UX is crippled. What you will notice is that content discovery on the Atv and rearranging your queue is all but impossible on the Atv. But that has to do with the  Atv Netflix app, not the remote, per se. I need to use my MBA to properly manage my Netflix account and I don't think a BT keyboard will change that.

On another note, I hope that 802.11ac will help future Macs and Airplay devices mirror content more smoothly.

• Reply 45 of 64

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Explain how an Apple TV with a dedicated games store and tactile, bluetooth controllers with a much crisper response rate than video mirroring doesn't make sense? Multitouch work for some kinds of applications, but it's clearly not suited to everything.

Because Apple will never make a tactile Bluetooth "controller" and a D-pad+one button isn't enough to be worth an SDK.

• Reply 46 of 64

I didn't realize the ATV2/3 even HAD Bluetooth until this update.

• Reply 47 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't aware that was a possibility. I have my iTunes account linked to my Apple TV and only when I have songs loaded locally in iTunes does the Music option appear above Movies, TV Shows, etc. Perhaps there is an iTunes Match settings I haven't seen (or remembered).

Hmmm.... strange. I've been doing this since Day 1 (of iTunes Match)!

It can't be getting streamed from anywhere else, since I've done it a gazillion times when no other piece of Apple equipment is turned on around the house.

If it eludes you -- of all people! -- something tells me that Apple needs to make it all a bit more obvious!! image

• Reply 48 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    kr00 wrote: »
    Why? You can AirPlay almost any games apps from your iPad or iPhone and stream audio and video as well. What would you use as a controller? Your iPhone/iPad? But You have those apps on there in the first place. Funny 'bout that. Think about it.................. What apps would you need on your ATV? Your grocery list?

Hbo go, show time, amazon instant video, pandora or any music streamer, the list continues
  • Reply 49 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Hmmm.... strange. I've been doing this since Day 1 (of iTunes Match)!

It can't be getting streamed from anywhere else, since I've done it a gazillion times when no other piece of Apple equipment is turned on around the house.

If it eludes you -- of all people! -- something tells me that Apple needs to make it all a bit more obvious!! :D

I just haven't spent much time with it. I had the original Apple TV and bought the 2nd gen for some people but only in the last couple months have bought a 3rd gen for myself and moved all my media into iTunes. I've had iTunes Match for less than 6 months now.

On top of that I've set up my Apple TV to only show TV Shows and Movies which meant removing all my music from my iTunes library in order to get that Music from not showing up (seems weird I can't just choose to not share this with the new Apple TVs). Anyway, I can stream from my Mac and have my music loaded on my iPhone.

I don't the Apple TV much myself. I much prefer to watch media windowed while doing other things. Watching TV as I write this.

I'll check later to see if I can find out where iTunes Match is located.

PS: Most things elude me.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'll check later to see if I can find out where iTunes Match is located.

Under Settings --> iTunes
  • Reply 51 of 64

Quote:

1) Does this include streaming iTunes Match from iCloud?

2) This addition so late to the Apple TV makes me think there is some major changes for this device category coming up shortly.

1) i think it was already working previously as i was using iTunes Match on my apple tv from long time… i don't understand what's new with the streaming?

2) ref to the 1st point.

edit: i see anantksundaram beat me to it.

• Reply 52 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Nice! Love how the AppleTV is constantly getting more capable. Now if they through it a basic web-browser, would be pretty cool. But I understand why they wouldn't.

I don't understand why it wouldn't add a web browser. Every other competing system has one, even the X-Box 360. 

• Reply 53 of 64
    tbell wrote: »
    I don't understand why it wouldn't add a web browser. Every other competing system has one, even the X-Box 360. 

They really didn't need to before this BT keyboard option. Using the included remote control would have been tedious, to say the least, when trying to use Safari. And since AirPlay Mirroring was introduced you can use Safari on the Apple TV and it works well.
  • Reply 54 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

Why? You can AirPlay almost any games apps from your iPad or iPhone and stream audio and video as well. What would you use as a controller? Your iPhone/iPad? But You have those apps on there in the first place. Funny 'bout that. Think about it.................. What apps would you need on your ATV? Your grocery list?

I agree you can use Air Play to do a lot, however, there is lag especially with some games. If certain apps could reside on the Apple TV directly, there would likely be less lag. I also would like an integrated iMessage App similar to DSL and Cable boxes that let you know how is calling. 

• Reply 55 of 64

Quote:

They really didn't need to before this BT keyboard option. Using the included remote control would have been tedious, to say the least, when trying to use Safari. And since AirPlay Mirroring was introduced you can use Safari on the Apple TV and it works well.

I can see your point. I'd still like an integrated iMessage App and some of the graphic intensive games would work better if they were on the device. 

• Reply 56 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree you can use Air Play to do a lot, however, there is lag especially with some games. If certain apps could reside on the Apple TV directly, there would likely be less lag. I also would like an integrated iMessage App similar to DSL and Cable boxes that let you know how is calling. 

i agree for the lag part.. i think it will be smooth once 802.11ac is available.

• Reply 57 of 64
    tbell wrote: »

I can see your point. I'd still like an integrated iMessage App and some of the graphic intensive games would work better if they were on the device. 

Sure, for those uses there are plenty of arguments and examples that could be brought up but for Safari for right now I think AirPlay mirroring is great. In fact, compared to just using a keyboard where I need to use the Tab key like on ye old WebTV interface to maneuver doing it from an iPad is a much improved experience.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    H
    kr00 wrote: »

How about BBC iPlayer, 4OD, iTV Player..... Local content my good man, currently unless you're American (or if you include Netflix British too) you are stuck with iTunes only or having to get out your iPad & stream across which is hardly ideal.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    Why do we have to go over why this doesn't make sense again?

Probably because you see people talking about apps & think of grocery lists & news apps etc.

Whereas I think local content providers such as the BBC.
  • Reply 60 of 64

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Whereas I think local content providers such as the BBC.

Yes! And there'll be app-style access for them! They're the ones that actually deserve it!

The Apple TV can be Apple's vessel for ramming and sinking the decades-old monopoly the telephone telecoms have had on programming. Obscuring that with Angry Whatever, crap games, useless iOS apps, and what have you can only ruin that.