Apple TV may start carrying HBO shows in 2013

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly in talks with HBO to carry the cable content provider's shows on the Apple TV through the "HBO Go" app, with service said to start in the first half of this year.

HBO Go
HBO's Go service. | Source: HBO

According to people familiar with the negotiations, Apple plans to roll out the HBO Go app on its set-top streaming device by mid-2013, reports Bloomberg.

If the two companies reach an agreement, the launch of HBO's service would be the first Apple TV app to require pay-TV authentication. While Apple's device has a few subscription-based apps like Hulu Plus and Netflix, HBO Go would be the first offering from a major cable provider.

From what little is known about the supposed deal, HBO subscribers who also own an Apple TV will be able to access over 600 hours of on-demand films and television shows, though the exact nature of the content was not divulged. In its online iteration, HBO Go offers a range of movies, original TV series and special content like behind the scenes footage.

The internet-based HBO Go is already available to iTunes users as a universal iOS app, meaning any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch can take advantage of the service.

Apple's so-called "hobby" has become the topic of much discussion as of late, with a new model expected to launch imminently after the FCC outed specs for the unannounced device earlier this week. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in the company's quarterly conference call last week that some two million Apple TVs were sold over the quarter ending in December, a 60 percent increase from a year ago.

Most recently, a new device identifier was discovered in the latest Apple TV software update, which brought enhanced iCloud integration and the ability to connect a Bluetooth keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    one would need to be able to sign up for a "HBO Go" ONLY subscription right on the Apple TV, like with the Hulu app and the Netflix app.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Isn't HBO Go already available through iOS?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Does that include Apple TV in the UK.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes it is. And it's on OS X also.

• Reply 5 of 60

I don't think it allows AirPlay, for whatever magical reason.

• Reply 6 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Yup, For a couple years now.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/hbo-go-for-ios-lets-you-play-over-1400-programs-from-just-about/

• Reply 7 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can't imagine what leverage Apple would have in a deal with HBO. Promise not to make any of their own original programming?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't imagine what leverage Apple would have in a deal with HBO. Promise not to make any of their own original programming?

My son is streaming it via his Xbox over FiOS. He's also got Epix delivered the same way. Good move on MS part.

EDIT: I see it's also on GoogleTV (which we don't have). Kinda surprised it wasn't already on AppleTVimage

• Reply 9 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thomas040 wrote: »
    one would need to be able to sign up for a "HBO Go" ONLY subscription right on the Apple TV, like with the Hulu app and the Netflix app.

There is no HBO Go only subscription.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Maybe that's what Apple is trying to get them to agree to.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    solipsismx wrote: »

Now you can watch season 2 of GoT
  • Reply 12 of 60
    solipsismx wrote: »

That would be a surprising turn of events. There are quite a few online petitions asking HBO for a subscription based service.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I just don't understand HBO's position on this. Obviously I'm not alone. But why, why, why would they not want me to pay them to watch HBO shows online? 

• Reply 14 of 60
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I don't think it allows AirPlay, for whatever magical reason.

Correct. I'm able to get the audio to work but not the video. Fairly poor way to get my Bill Maher fix.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

In the US there's not yet, but there is HBO Nordic, which is subscription and which recently launched.

• Reply 16 of 60
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I have an HBO Go only subscription. It costs me a cup of Starbucks here and there. Sharing friends are good to have ;-)

But yes, you are correct.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    allenbf wrote: »
    Correct. I'm able to get the audio to work but not the video. Fairly poor way to get my Bill Maher fix.

It's not quite the same without the facial expressions.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155745/apple-tv-may-start-carrying-hbo-shows-in-2013#post_2269259"]In the US there's not yet, but there is HBO Nordic, which is subscription and which recently launched.

HD programming is only available on Samsung SmartTVs, and they only get SD on anything else.

http://www.arcticstartup.com/2013/01/08/hbo-nordics-underwhelms-early-adopters
  • Reply 19 of 60
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yeah, this all falls under the category of "meh".

Now, if Apple and HBO could come together to swing a "stand-alone" HBO GO service on ATV, then Apple (and HBO) would rule the universe.

They would RULE the FRICKN UNIVERSE. And that would only be the start.

• Reply 20 of 60
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    jakeb wrote: »
    I just don't understand HBO's position on this. Obviously I'm not alone. But why, why, why would they not want me to pay them to watch HBO shows online? 

HBO is a major part of expensive cable packages. Cable operators undoubtedly pay them a lot not to offer HBO Go separately online.