Apple overtakes Samsung as top U.S. mobile phone vendor for first time in Q4 2012

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Android is winning®.

Ever since Steve died™.

• Reply 42 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think you've mistakenly associated someone else's post(s) with mine.  I've never considered Samsung to be innocent. No biggie.

Anyway I personally believe that any contraction like that shown last year in US overall mobile phone sales should be and is a concern to the market players, Apple included.  I think that's a big reason for Apple's attention to China, and the numerous recent Apple comments and industry articles on the importance of China to Apple's future growth.

We'll see as the year goes on.

I agree that we will need to see how the next two years goes (I think a year wouldn't be a clear indicator) but that still wouldn't mean no growth for Apple as it has and is expanding onto regional carriers that was solely the realm of Android so there is much lunch to eat still in the US.

• Reply 43 of 53
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    macrulez wrote: »
    The story would have been much more compelling if the last column were removed.
    AI already removed the second part of Strategy Analytics comments, the one saying that Samsung should regain the top spot in 2013. Those are good quarter numbers in the US but they have largely if not all to do with a new iPhone release vs 6 months old high-end competitive handsets from Samsung.
    Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics said, "Apple's success has been driven by its popular ecosystem of iPhones and App Store, generous carrier subsidies, and extensive marketing around the new iPhone 5 model.
    "Samsung had been the number one mobile phone vendor in the US since 2008, and it will surely be keen to recapture that title in 2013 by launching improved new models such as the rumored Galaxy S4."
  • Reply 44 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple overtakes Samsung as top U.S. mobile phone vendor for first time in Q4 2012??

Soon there will be headline "this news shows Apple faces limited growth as it overtakes Samsung , APPLE DIVED 7% today!!!!!!!!!!!"

True to form, AAPL is down more than 1% right now.

Meanwhile, AMZN after reporting a full-year loss and results that are drastically worse than Apple's, is still riding a wave of P/E in the thousands. Oh, wait. The P/E is meaningless now since they lost money last year.
  • Reply 45 of 53

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

…the one saying that Samsung should regain the top spot in 2013.

English not your first language? "Be keen to" does not at all equal "should".

• Reply 46 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,596member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

English not your first language? "Be keen to" does not at all equal "should".

Beat me to it. I was about to mention that myself.

• Reply 47 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

At this point, anytime someone writes "market share" or similar terms, I have to totally ignore their comment as having any functionality. Apple is taking in over 70% of the PROFIT in the smartphone sector worldwide. So yeah, that must be a bad thing.

People seem to like Apple phones so much that even the iPhone 4 is selling very well. When was the last time that you ever heard anyone talk about buying a Samsung phone that was 3 generations old. (Plastic is good, newest is best-ist, buy a phone every year cause they don't last and besides, this one has some new - nearly worthless feature.)

Still a great phone. My sister and dad use it heavily, and have never had a complaint. Sure it may struggle on intensive apps and doesn't support all iOS6 features, but for 90% of people it should still do what they want it to do. 

Oh, and I don't expect this to affect stock, except negatively. We all know the market doesn't care about positive Apple news. Everyone I know thinks that Apple is in deep trouble, or doing extremely poorly, by listening to the mainstream media. It's insane. 

• Reply 48 of 53
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

"As usual"  image

What previous year did US mobile phone sales fall YOY? Would you not consider that a concern to smartphone manufacturers dependent on the US for growth? If so, then I'm curious just what half of my comments you actually disagree with: The US won't be the major driver for iPhone revenue growth going forward, or China won't be increasingly important to Apple? You must think only Apple would be significantly affected by a flat US market to assume my post must have been anti-Apple. Why is that?

Seems to me this report piggybacks well with the recent notice from Samsung that they expect softness in mature markets such as the US. 

Anyway, the report did include the estimated US numbers for those that overlooked it:

"We estimate Apple shipped 17.7 million mobile phones for a record 34 percent share of the United States market in the fourth quarter of 2012. This was up sharply from 12.8 million units shipped and 25 percent share in Q4 2011....

Samsung shipped 16.8 million mobile phones in the United States, for 32 percent share, during Q4 2012."

I certainly don't think you are trolling, but the point others make is also relevant. Even if the report suggest the US phone market is contracting, that includes the US phone market as a whole. It doesn't separate feature phones from smart phones. It is possible that the feature phone market contracts (that Samsung participates in) while the smart phone market expands (that both Apple and Samsung participate in). 

I, however, think it obvious that Apple has a bigger opportunity for growth in China than the US. The market is more mature here in the US. Apple still can have growth through bringing in T-Mobile and by capturing people who go from feature phones to smartphones. It could also capture more of the prepaid market if it had a cheaper phone. China Mobile, however, has 700 million users. Apple doesn't have a deal yet with that carrier, Samsung does. That represents a tremendous growth opportunity for Apple, which probably is what all the rumors of a cheaper iPhone are about. 

• Reply 49 of 53
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

AI already removed the second part of Strategy Analytics comments, the one saying that Samsung should regain the top spot in 2013. Those are good quarter numbers in the US but they have largely if not all to do with a new iPhone release vs 6 months old high-end competitive handsets from Samsung.

Sensi, you're taking all the fun out of this story.  It doesn't matter that slicing and dicing stats to arrive at a more flattering isolated subset is somewhere between meaningless and misleading.  All that matters in this forum is that we can all feel good about the subset we choose to focus on.

After all, it's not possible for Apple to improve their performance in any way, since the company is run by magic unicorns incapable of ever making a mistake.

Well, except for firing Forstall, that is.

And dropping XServe.

And making Tim Cook CEO.

And whatever other random armchair quarterback complaints against Apple mystifyingly pass muster here, while anything else meets with "Paid troll!"

So Sensi, who pays you to post here?  Samsung?  Google?  Appleinsider? ;)

• Reply 50 of 53

Quote:

I think you've mistakenly associated someone else's post(s) with mine.  I've never considered Samsung to be innocent. No biggie.

Anyway I personally believe that any contraction like that shown last year in US overall mobile phone sales should be and is a concern to the market players, Apple included.  I think that's a big reason for Apple's attention to China, and the numerous recent Apple comments and industry articles on the importance of China to Apple's future growth.

We'll see as the year goes on.

Right, because there's no other reason to be interested in the Chinese market, so clearly it's a sign of trouble that they are.

Pathetic, even coming from you.

• Reply 51 of 53
    Irrelevant number, exept for the 'mine is bigger than yours' crowd.

All that matters is profitability.
    No, all that matters is I have a device with excellent support, service, timely updates, great App selection & App quality, lots of accessories and a great aftermarket.

Something others could only dream of.
  • Reply 52 of 53

NPD Group came out with their report on the 4th quarter US mobile market today. Unlike IDC's, this one is specific to smartphones rather than including feature phones.

They show Apple coming in at number one in the 4th quarter too, just as the IDC did, but do note a drop from 41% to 39% YOY. Samsung comes in number two as expected, but jumping from just 21% of last years 4th qtr smartphone sales to 30% this past quarter. 

Following is NPD's year-over-year comparison of market share and growth for the top-five smartphone manufacturers:

Q4 2011            Q4 2012

Apple   41%      39%

Samsung          21%      30%

Motorola           8%       7%

HTC      14%      6%

LG        5%       6%

"Even taking into account the tremendous sales growth of the Galaxy III and other Samsung smartphones, the iPhone is still king of the U.S.-market hill," said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at The NPD Group. "In addition to strong U.S. sales of iPhone 5, Apple has been bolstered by strong and continued demand for older, less-expensive iPhone models."

Based on information from NPD's monthly Mobile Phone Track service, when comparing Q3 2012 with Q4 2012, U.S. iPhone 4 sales increased 79 percent and iPhone 4S sales grew 43 percent. Sales of the iPhone 5 made up 43 percent of all iPhone sales in Q4 2012 and accounted for almost two thirds of all post-paid smartphone sales above $199

Based on the latest information from NPD, the top-selling mobile phones in the U.S. were as follows:

Rank     Brand

1          iPhone 5

2          Samsung Galaxy S III

3          iPhone 4S

4          iPhone 4

5          Samsung Galaxy S II

Total mobile phone unit sales increased 24 percent in Q4 2012, compared to the previous year with smartphones increasing by 52 percent and feature phones declining by 31 percent. Smartphones represented a record eight in 10 (81 percent) mobile phones sold, compared to just 66 percent in Q4 2011."

http://www.fiercewireless.com/press-releases/npd-group-iphone-still-leading-us-consumer-sales

• Reply 53 of 53

I was surprised to see the relatively old Galaxy S2 come in at number 5. I had no idea they were still pushing those. I guess Samsung is copying Apple again, using their strategy of keeping old models of their flagship line around as less-expensive entry models for the pre-paid or budget shoppers.

EDIT: Here's a better link to the NPD report, straight from NPD themselves.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/the-npd-group-iphone-still-leading-us-consumer-sales/