Seagate's pocketable, self-powered Wireless Plus HDD streams content to multiple iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Two things:

- I think this will be popular with families during travel and while at home that have an iOS device for each person

I'll bet if they put a SSD in this, the power consumption and stream times would improve amazingly...of coarse driving up the price though!
  • Reply 22 of 50
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It could be but not at that price. You can buy a 1 TB drive for $89 and because this one is wireless it costs $110 more? It is nice though. You can have your own personal cloud within your home that up to 8 devices can access.
    $199 is the msrp. It'll be $140-150 on amazon a few weeks after release (maybe on release if demand isn't huge)- making it much more enticing.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    andysol wrote: »
    $199 is the msrp. It'll be $140-150 on amazon a few weeks after release (maybe on release if demand isn't huge)- making it much more enticing.

I was thinking along the same lines, and hope that is the case.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    "It comes with its own app, which also allows users to dump content from an iPad or iPhone's internal storage directly to the drive. That's not going to work for content purchased through iTunes, but it will work for things like photos and videos taken with the device."

According to one review on Amazon, getting content from iTunes to the Seagate is as simple as a drag and drop.
  • Reply 25 of 50

This will be amazing for people filming the police doing illegal shit - couple of guys with backpacks containing these drives standing quietly in the crowd whilst the cameramen make themselves obvious.

Seizing the cameras no longer wipes the evidence, as the wireless backpack users blend into the background and slip away...

• Reply 26 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    andyapple wrote: »
    "It comes with its own app, which also allows users to dump content from an iPad or iPhone's internal storage directly to the drive. That's not going to work for content purchased through iTunes, but it will work for things like photos and videos taken with the device."

According to one review on Amazon, getting content from iTunes to the Seagate is as simple as a drag and drop.

From iTunes on an iDevice or iTunes on a Mac/PC?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I was thinking along the same lines, and hope that is the case.

Given the old model is $189 on Amazon that might take a while.

I have no clue why you guys think $200 for a wireless NAS with a 7-10 hour battery is overpriced or unattractive.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    jinjo235 wrote: »
    Two things:

- I think this will be popular with families during travel and while at home that have an iOS device for each person

I'll bet if they put a SSD in this, the power consumption and stream times would improve amazingly...of coarse driving up the price though!

Yes families and once hacked for reliable eyefi use many other folks.

If you want a SSD Kingston now has a 128GB version of their Wi-Drive for $170 but it is still USB 2

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Drive-Pocket-Sized-WID-128GB-A/dp/B00AI922DQ/ref=pd_sim_pc_6
  • Reply 29 of 50
    jeffdm wrote: »
    From iTunes on an iDevice or iTunes on a Mac/PC?

She said on her iPad.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

It seems like a cool device but all I can think of looking at those pictures is what a horrible display it is.  

I know they are just small details and most of the Aspergers infected crowd will be unaware, but just a few minutes of attention could have made it look as good as it works.  Clarity and simplicity of presentation is important because even if there are only a few in the crowd like me that are bothered by it, you are still intentionally bothering some portion of your prospective audience for no reason other than laziness.  

• Reply 31 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It could be but not at that price. You can buy a 1 TB drive for $89 and because this one is wireless it costs $110 more?...

This is a bit of a silly comment when we are talking about something barely out of the prototype stage.  The worlds "first" anything always costs big bucks.  

• Reply 32 of 50

Wait a minute ... I thought from the article that this was "wireless" and "self-powered."   It's not at all.  

Sure it has a battery inside, but it has a SATA connection on the back and a power plug on the side.  This will be plugged in almost all the time when it's used at home.

If that's the case, one might save a heck of a lot of money (as well as effort, time, complexity and futzing around), to just buy a USB device to plug into the Airport Extreme.  Same thing, less money/complexity etc. 

I revise my opinion from "cool" to "meh" on this one. 

• Reply 33 of 50
    jragosta wrote: »
    Cool.

So will we stop getting incessant demands for USB ports or Compact Flash ports on iPhones?
    What incessant demands? It seems that protests about such alleged demands are far from frequent.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Wait a minute ... I thought from the article that this was "wireless" and "self-powered."   It's not at all.  

Sure it has a battery inside, but it has a SATA connection on the back and a power plug on the side.  This will be plugged in almost all the time when it's used at home.

If that's the case, one might save a heck of a lot of money (as well as effort, time, complexity and futzing around), to just buy a USB device to plug into the Airport Extreme.  Same thing, less money/complexity etc. 

By your definition, there is no such thing as a wireless or self-powered device.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Yes because it makes so much more sense to carry this big thing around. This makes more sense in a home environment where multiple devices can access it.

It does hardly look pocketable.
  • Reply 36 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes because it makes so much more sense to carry this big thing around. This makes more sense in a home environment where multiple devices can access it.

Although it looks a bit fat, I agree, I can see this in my backpack easily. 

• Reply 37 of 50

I will wait until it is SDD and wireless ac

• Reply 38 of 50

This does seem to signal a somewhat innovative direction for wireless storage.

• Reply 39 of 50
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

So everyone's just going to tiptoe around the elephant in the room? The article teased us with a steampunk Abraham Lincoln and did not deliver!

• Reply 40 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Except that won't do what this device does. There's really no comparison.

How are you going to use your Airport Extreme when you're away from home?