Seagate's pocketable, self-powered Wireless Plus HDD streams content to multiple iOS devices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by binex View Post

I guess given the absence of removable storage for iDevices, some people will find it useful to access more storage on the go.

I got a much smaller device (but obviously without the in-built storage) originally launched through Kickstarter, that enables you to attach usb storage devices to it and then shares them through wifi and their own iOS app.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125911486/cloudftp-wirelessly-share-any-usb-storage-with-ipa

I got this at MacWorld yesterday, although they warned me that a new version was coming out in a month:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/hyper-debuts-iusbport-mini-2-and-hd-cloud-storage-and-streaming/

Still, I had an immediate need for it and figured I could sell it or pass it on and buy the new one if it's worth it.

I love this!  If it's portable storage and plugs into the USB, it just works.  So all of my portable 2.5" drives are working with it as are thumb drives as well as SD and Compact Flash cards (with USB reader).

It just seems like a much better (and cheaper) option (for now).

• Reply 42 of 50
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It must just be me but in thirty plus years of using hard drives from many vendors Seagate have been far and away the most unreliable.

How many hard drives from different vendors have you used in 30+ plus years to be able to say that one company is "far and away" better or worse than all others? Hundreds? Thousands?

• Reply 43 of 50
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except that won't do what this device does. There's really no comparison.

How are you going to use your Airport Extreme when you're away from home?

Are you saying the Extreme is not quite as pocketable?

• Reply 44 of 50

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

In this regard, and this regard alone, it's the iPad mini of AirPort routers.

• Reply 45 of 50
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Are you including the car battery and inverter you'd need?  And so you mean express? :)

• Reply 46 of 50
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Wait a minute ... I thought from the article that this was "wireless" and "self-powered."   It's not at all.  

In what way is it not wireless and self powered?

Quote:

Sure it has a battery inside, but it has a SATA connection on the back and a power plug on the side.  This will be plugged in almost all the time when it's used at home.

If that's the case, one might save a heck of a lot of money (as well as effort, time, complexity and futzing around), to just buy a USB device to plug into the Airport Extreme.  Same thing, less money/complexity etc. 

I revise my opinion from "cool" to "meh" on this one. 

The SATA connection is so you can replace the USB 3 module with a Thunderbolt one (or Firewire if your mac is old).

http://www.seagate.com/solutions/usm/

Is this plugged in when at home?  Yes.  So?  So is my laptop.

Would you use it at home?  Maybe, but you take a hefty wireless speed hit on any device hooked through it.  But this is primarily for storage on the go and it's designed for that.

• Reply 47 of 50
    This could be really useful as a media server in a car. This way for road trips it can be loaded up with all the kids/wife movies (I don't use iTunes for Movies preferring to rip my own DVD/Blurays) and their music and they can access whatever they want through their iPad/iPods on road trips.

I may be looking to get one of these once they go on sale.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    stelligent wrote: »

Who said that?

The AIrport Extreme is not the same as this device for several reasons:
    1. It requires an outlet - which isn't always available.
    2. It doesn't have 1 TB of storage.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Patriot Memory has already been selling a similar device (Gauntlet Node) for at least 6 months. I bought one and it is quite handy. The Patriot is a DIY box, so you pay for the enclosure and add your own drive - for me that was a little cheaper.

Took a long road trip at Christmas time - loaded up the Gauntlet with tons of TV shows, movies, and music, and the kids connected with their iPhones and iPads and could each stream their own content in the car - was like in-seat in-flight monitors on airplanes!

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail/Gauntlet Node - Portable Wireless Enclosure
  • Reply 50 of 50

I have struggled to see if the Seagate Wireless Plus will supply adequate capabilities to upload photos from iphone and ipad. I am down to a final question. Is the charging, power block capable of dual voltage? In other words, on a trip to Italy, will a plug adapter be enough, or is the heavier, more involved Converter necessary? Thanks to anyone who would be willing to read the fine print on the electronic parts.  mch