Australia's Treasury Department switches from BlackBerry to iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    The iPhone is still officially referred to as "that smartphone who shall not be named" at Blackberry's corporate HQ.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    I hope they meant this article to be symbolic of BB's loss, cause losing 250 BB carrying officials doesn't even seem newsworthy to me.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    philboogie wrote: »
    What record setting? You link to an article that states: "The company declined to provide any hard sales numbers."

Nice pic over there though

Records that the media can manipulate any which way they want.
  • Reply 24 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I hope they meant this article to be symbolic of BB's loss, cause losing 250 BB carrying officials doesn't even seem newsworthy to me.

LOL, Just imagine the Impact on Apples market share this is going to have.

• Reply 25 of 49
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Psssst...don't use iOS Maps or else you'll find yourself 40km away from your intended destination.....without food, water or fuel. :rolleyes:
    Android had the same issues there just less press. Well almost no press. Were you all up at arms when Google maps on the origin IPhone was far worse than the stand alone units?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Quote:

LOL, Just imagine the Impact on Apples market share this is going to have.

AI is amazing: An order involving 250 devices is regarded as news ? Next week you'll be reporting on each individual purchaser and acting like it means anything.

• Reply 27 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Psssst...don't use iOS Maps or else you'll find yourself 40km away from your intended destination.....without food, water or fuel. :rolleyes:

Now you all be nice to Dick. Remember he's caught in a two-dimensional job. No, I don't mean he got his, er, finger stuck in the press.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    charlituna wrote: »
    Some folks say Apple should run the country, screw that. They are after the world.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    I'd be more worried about Google... Their search engine is the world leader in monitoring everything we do and using the information to direct market and now with the Android OS they also dominate the mobile realm. In actuality, Apple is the least of our problems. They are a hardware tech company that make closed systems with high security and therefore become attractive to governmental departments. Google on the other hand has no limitations. They are everything and everywhere, masquerading under the guise "the people's open source product," instead, they are actually a modernized door-to-door salesman, hell-bent on playing the underdog as they slowly take over the World Wide Web.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Does the government really need to be buying iPhone 5s for their staff? Surely an iPhone 4 or 4S would suffice.

The iPhone 5 probably has at least an extra year of upgrades and operational life over the 4S, and two over the 4.  Maybe they thought the extra cost was worth that?

• Reply 31 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bro2ma wrote: »

Even if this is true (although notice that they cherry picked a couple of countries rather than talking about global figures - or even the largest markets), it doesn't tell us a lot:

1. The market has grown many fold since their last record release.

2. Their customers tend to be very loyal and locked in to the BB ecosystem. They've had to wait years since the last release. It's not surprising that there's pent up demand. If I had to use a 3 year old handset, I'd be ready to upgrade, too.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    What's an iPhone 5s?
  • Reply 33 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    What's an iPhone 5s?

The plural of "iPhone 5".
  • Reply 34 of 49
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Jhupet Anec View Post

Glad I'm apple.

In that case, I have some questions about the next Macbook Pro release.

Taniwha View Post

AI is amazing: An order involving 250 devices is regarded as news ? Next week you'll be reporting on each individual purchaser and acting like it means anything.

And yet here we are.

But seriously, a government agency making the official switch is a bigger deal than 250 random people.

josephwinters View Post

What's an iPhone 5s?

The quick way to write 'iPhone Fives'

• Reply 35 of 49
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bro2ma View Post

But the new Blackberry Z10 is off to a record setting start!

http://allthingsd.com/20130206/blackberry-z10-jumps-off-to-a-record-setting-start-in-canada-and-u-k/?mod=tweet

Yeah, from sucks, to sucks less

• Reply 36 of 49

Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Australia's Treasury Department sounds like a big deal until you get to the 250 part.  This "blow" to BB is more like sensationalist linkbait.  I want to know when an organization of thousands decides to abandon BB after the Z10 announcement.

• Reply 37 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

This is a really cheep remark. Since I have the new map application I never had any problem with it in Australia! Discprinter, pull yourself together and admit you are using anecdotal evidences!

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Android had the same issues there just less press. Well almost no press. Were you all up at arms when Google maps on the origin IPhone was far worse than the stand alone units?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Now you all be nice to Dick. Remember he's caught in a two-dimensional job. No, I don't mean he got his, er, finger stuck in the press.

WOW, guys. Did you not notice the rolling eyes? I personally thought the whole Australian iOS Maps issue was silly. I am pro Apple to the core, next time I'll be sure to use /s so everyone is sure that I'm using sarcasm.

• Reply 38 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

I think the point was that it has been approved for government use, so this is potentially the first of many such orders. And it illustrates that governments are warming up to Apple after being so negative for so many years, which *is* actually news to us long term Apple followers. But yes, I'm sure the US Treasury has 250 janitors, let alone staff!

• Reply 39 of 49
    Hope they realize that staff can "jailbreak" Iphones to hack the operating system.

The new BB10 OS with QNX is a superior choice since the Z10 and Q10 (coming) offer superior security and offer work mode and personsal mode of operation for the user. IT can remotely wipe all sensitive info from the users device if need be while not affecting their personal content.

I think they made a poor decision switching from BlackBerry as time will soon show.
  • Reply 40 of 49

Originally Posted by Long BB View Post

Hope they realize that staff can "jailbreak" Iphones to hack the operating system.

Your point being what?

The new BB10 OS with QNX is a superior choice since the Z10 and Q10 (coming) offer superior security and offer work mode and personsal mode of operation for the user.

Disclaimer: you basically work for RIM, right?