Google official calls Apple trustworthy, but jokes iOS Maps users are risking their lives

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    It was a dig no doubt. And it was expected, just like the Samsung ads. It will also make no difference like the Samsung ads. No longer being the default app will hurt Google worse than any of these pot shots will hurt Apple. That was a win win for all iOS users. Google haters got a capable alternative and Gooe lovers got their app now with turn-by-turn directions and Apple saved money in the process.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrypop View Post

Michael T. Jones must have a very short memory, or little depth to his Internet experience, as Google Maps was widely panned for...the exact same issues facing Apple Maps.

Some people keep saying this, but that's not my recollection, nor does it match up with old Google Maps reviews, which leaned towards high praise after it came out in 2005.   E.g.

About.com - 2005.  Five stars.  "Google Maps are incredible. They're very intuitive, well designed, interactive, and the search capabilities are amazing. While there are still some snags, the site is one to be utilized if you're looking for directions or maps of anyplace."

CNET - 2006. "Google's map and directions service, Google Maps Beta, is out in a full release version called Google Local. Google Local rolls the phone book, maps, and driving directions into one big, interactive ball that's handy and just plain fun to use."

Google Maps was definitely one of my favorite smartphone apps back in 2006.  (Plus everyone loved their satellite views starting in 2005.)

Heck, Apple bent over backwards to put Google Maps into the iPhone at the last minute for its debut in 2007.  You don't do that for junk.

Even more importantly for the iPhone, Google had been using Maps to  collect cell tower stats from all the smartphones with GPS that had come before it.   This allowed the GPS-less first iPhone to later get location services by cell tower id.

So, no, I don't remember Google Maps getting panned at all.  Perhaps you're thinking of other, earlier map services.  

• Reply 43 of 111
    kdarling wrote: »
    Some people keep saying this, but that's not my recollection, nor does it match up with old Google Maps reviews, which leaned towards high praise after it came out in 2005.   E.g.

About.com - 2005.  Five stars.  "Google Maps <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">are incredible. They're very intuitive, well designed, interactive, and the search capabilities are amazing. While there are still some snags, the site is one to be utilized if you're looking for directions or maps of anyplace."</span>

<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">CNET - 2006. "</span>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Google's map and directions service,</span>
    <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6350783.html?" style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">Google Maps Beta</a>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">, is out in a full release version called Google Local. Google Local rolls the phone book, maps, and driving directions into one big, interactive ball that's handy and just plain fun to use."</span>

Google Maps was definitely one of my favorite smartphone apps back in 2006.

Heck, Apple bent over backwards to put Google Maps into the iPhone at the last minute for its debut in 2007.  You don't do that for junk.

Even more importantly for the iPhone, Google had been using Maps to  collect cell tower stats from all the smartphones with GPS that had come before it.   This allowed the GPS-less first iPhone to later get location services by cell tower id.

So, no, I don't remember Google Maps getting panned at all.  Perhaps you're thinking of other, earlier map services.  

Did these reviews come out days after Google maps launched? So early February 2005? Thought not. Plus, the expectations of 2005 were far less than they are in 2012/2013.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

But didn't they publish books without authors' consent and therefore take it all offline when called upon that? And don't they scan gmail attachments for copyright material, kinda reversing what they did themselves?

Well, big company. Maybe one department was doing 1 thing, another department doing the opposite.

I don't recall anything about Google scanning emails for copyrighted material. What was the reason they gave for that?

As for the Google Books project, they're also partnered with dozens of universities and libraries, as well as settling any remaining issues with book publishers. They're good with it for now. The settlement with authors was disapproved by a judge so that remains an issue. But Google wasn't "publishing books" without the authors' consent in the first place AFAIK.

There's some excellent resources if you wish to research it some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Books_Library_Project

• Reply 45 of 111
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I find it literally otherworldly to see a Google official commenting about the trustworthiness of Apple and Microsoft in handling customer data and privacy. This from a lackey of the world's largest data mining outfit? Really? An Advertising company has a "technology ambassador?"

• Reply 46 of 111
    Google maps still can't find my street, which has been here for nearly 15 years. Compare satellite view to Google maps and you'll see that they don't match up. Streets are missing or dead end when they really go through. It even has one street cutting through my neighbors house to connect to our street.

Bing, Apple, Garmin, Tom-Tom, UPS, FedEx and the post office can find us. Evidently they don't use google maps.

When we doing house searches, Bing maps gave us better results, finding about half when google couldn't find one in four.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Did these reviews come out days after Google maps launched? So early February 2005? Thought not. 

Actually, yes, that first five star review was from March 12, 2005.   The earliest mention I find is in this Feb 9, 2005 blog, which talked about "how the astonishing Google Maps service is accomplished."

You're welcome to dig up any negative reviews from back then and show them to us.   Who knows, perhaps my memory is faulty.  But you have to prove it :)

My only negative memory is that, at first, a lot of addresses seemed offset by two houses.  However, the desktop version let you move markers to correct that (within reason).   Everyone liked that part, because few road or business maps were accurate back then.

As for the mobile version, which is what we're really talking about, it was very well received.  There was nothing else like it.

Quote:

Plus, the expectations of 2005 were far less than they are in 2012/2013.

Sure, but that only speaks badly for Apple today, not Google back then.

• Reply 48 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Federal Trade Commission recently recommended that both firms do more to protect children's privacy in kids' apps. The Commission also fined Google last year for circumventing privacy protections built into Apple's Safari web browser.

Although the article mentions the illegal circumventing of Safari privacy protections, the interviewer apparently did not not ask for any comments from Mr. Jones related to that privacy violation after he stated that he trusted Google. Perhaps Google did nothing harmful with the data once they acquired it but the technique used to gain protected information should have been part of any discussion regarding Google's trustworthiness, especially when comparing the organization to Apple with respect to privacy.

• Reply 49 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Although the article mentions the illegal circumventing of Safari privacy protections, the interviewer apparently did not not ask for any comments from Mr. Jones related to that privacy violation after he stated that he trusted Google. Perhaps Google did nothing harmful with the data once they acquired it but the technique used to gain protected information should have been part of any discussion regarding Google's trustworthiness, especially when comparing the organization to Apple with respect to privacy.

Kudos for actually watching the interview.

• Reply 50 of 111

Apple sells "products." Google/Facebook sells "you!" No thanks!

MS/Samsung/HP/Dell/RIM sell inferior SW/HW! :)

• Reply 51 of 111
    tarfungo wrote: »
    I've been purposely using turn-by-turn while traveling in and around the San Francisco Bay Area since the inception of 'Map-gate' with out ANY issues.  This includes both known, little known and unknown routes.  With only inconsequential deviations from my own 'local knowledge' route preferences, the system has been flawless.

I do the same in and around my city, no issues. Just finished a cross country road trip east to west, using Apple maps all the time, stopping at doezens of different places; no issues at all.
  • Reply 52 of 111

so do i. it's never gotten me lost around my own city.

Same here, no issues.
    Just finished a cross country trip coast to coast, stopping at dozens of places; no problems at all.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    I have already changed the default search engine on my iPhone to yahoo. Apple should buy yahoo and turn it into the best search engine yet. The only google product I use is YouTube and that wasn't created by google.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I'm glad I have the Google Maps app for transit, and I'm glad Apple's Maps app will hand off searches to it automatically... so that I can do the search in Apple's app even when I want transit.

I thought I'd be using the Google App semi-regularly whenever Apple's app fell short... but funny, it never comes up! Not once. (I'm in the US... I know in other countries there are places where Google is top and places where Apple Maps are best.)

The dealbreaker for me even if I DID like Google's app and weird UI... no Contacts integration! The most common places I'm going to/from are the homes and businesses of friends and professional contacts. In Apple's app (the new one AND the old Google-data one) you just start typing the person's name and you've got it. It will even present a choice of Work, Home, etc. if needed.

Google Maps doesn't do that. Apparently, not even if you let Google have all your contacts. Apparently, not even on Android itself! Hard to believe. That's a basic function of a smart device with maps, and after all these years of Apple doing it right, Google still can't?

Meanwhile I just love lots of thoughtful touches about how Apple's new app works and looks (except for the the smallest roads being too pale). It's out of my way. Google's app makes me feel like I'm fighting it... using it. I'm too aware of the app.

I also really like something that never gets mentioned: Apple's new Maps app essentially combines Google Maps and Google Earth (a toy maybe, but an awesome one). Now I've deleted Google Earth, since the entire globe has 3D terrain in Apple Maps (even places without 3D buildings).

P.S. I was out with die-hard Android users the other day... they couldn't find we were meeting people... Apple Maps could! I don't know which has more errors--but they both have plenty, only people are trained to jump on Apple's errors and shrug off Google's. A year ago (the Google days) I'd get errors all the time--I'd shrug and try another way to find the place. Still useful even if Google wasn't always right. Today, I really NOTICE those same kinds of errors. The media has trained me! It's no wonder people think mapping errors are some new thing Apple invented :p

The Apple Maps "problem" is a lot like the old antenna "problem" it seems to me: whole LOT of people complaining on behalf of OTHER people who they assume are having problems... but not so many people actually complaining on their OWN behalf. That's known as: a lot of smoke, not much fire.

• Reply 55 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I have already changed the default search engine on my iPhone to yahoo. Apple should buy yahoo and turn it into the best search engine yet. The only google product I use is YouTube and that wasn't created by google.

Agreed. I just changed to Yahoo on all my devices! :)

I wish Apple would by Yahoo for search to go around Google, Sprint to go around the telecom companies and Dish to circumvent the Media companies.

They wouldn't even have to buy them outright, just take a controlling interest.

P.S. AI, when I hit the link "Comments" shouldn't I go to the start of the comments section and not the start of the Article? Great website, BTW! :)

• Reply 56 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I don't recall anything about Google scanning emails for copyrighted material. What was the reason they gave for that?

As for the Google Books project, they're also partnered with dozens of universities and libraries, as well as settling any remaining issues with book publishers. They're good with it for now. The settlement with authors was disapproved by a judge so that remains an issue. But Google wasn't "publishing books" without the authors' consent in the first place AFAIK.

There's some excellent resources if you wish to research it some:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Books
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Books_Library_Project

ROTFLMAO.

First, I notice that you are using the "google books" name which was implemented after the "google print" plan was finally stopped. Google Print did exactly what was claimed here:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/googles-global-library-takes-a-further-blow-09132011.html
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Stay classy, Google. /s
  • Reply 58 of 111

It was an obvious dig at apple from a sycophant executive that wants to claim me too status on googles executive ladder.  So when he is up for review he can say see I put apple down too.  I am loyal to the company.   I would not have a google product or use a google product since they started circumventing my security settings in my own browser so they could sell me to there advertisers. That was the last straw. Google is an absolute lie of a company.  I want nothing to do with them. You cant trust anything they do.  They have been caught so many times by so many different countries and companies sniffing where they should not be that it is comical when they say "Oh that was just a glitch we didnt really mean to do that".   What they really ment to say was "damn we got caught again, we will just plead stupidity and it will all blow over".

I am really happy for those that use google but as for me and mine I would not touch them with a 30 meter cattle prod.  

How about some of those Eric Shmidt Quotes about privacy:

“We know where you are. We know where you’ve been. We can more or less know what you’re thinking about.” 

“If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place”

“Every young person one day will be entitled automatically to change his or her name on reaching adulthood in order to disown youthful hijinks stored on their friends’ social media sites.”

“Just remember when you post something, the computers remember forever” 

About getting data from Facebook:

“We are willing to get it one way or another, with or without deal.” 

“We Want People To Be More Logged Into Google.” 

“You can trust us with your data”  

Sorry but with sentiments like that that have been upheld by there ex ceo and current director of there board as well as larry page and there senior legal executive I will never trust google again with any of my data.  

Also seriously does this guy believe google is an A or A+ company?  What heroin induced haze is he living in?   The only thing I can figure is

like I said before is that he is trying to suck his way up the corporate ladder looking good for the lead executive team.

"DO NO EVIL"

• Reply 59 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO.

First, I notice that you are using the "google books" name which was implemented after the "google print" plan was finally stopped. Google Print did exactly what was claimed here:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/googles-global-library-takes-a-further-blow-09132011.html

Really? Where did your article say Google was publishing books without the author's permission? Perhaps spending less time laughing and more time reading might be in order. I linked the complete history for you in my previous post, which includes Google Print, if you're at all concerned with what Google say they intended to accomplish rather than what you'd apparently rather think it was.

• Reply 60 of 111
    Google map also will risk someone live too . I drive in Hong Kong , google map shows me to make a turn where I am not allowed . Am I risking someone live ?