Apple's iOS 6.1 reportedly causing 3G and battery issues for some iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61

Not happening for me. iOS 6.1 makes my phone snappier and the battery seems to be better. 

• Reply 22 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Are they holding it wrong?

Lame jokes are still lame. 

• Reply 23 of 61
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Being adventurous, I decided to JB my iP4S, only to have problems with screen brightness. Got thoroughly naffed off, so I DFU'd the phone and re-installed iOS6.1 and restored from back. Then I turned off the phone, switched it back on then did a hard reset (Power & Home buttons held down until the Apple logo appears).

Thankfully, no battery or overheating issues and no degradation of signal.

• Reply 24 of 61
    Here we go again.

Some humorless, angry poster will call for Tim Cook's resignation.
    Another will claim this would never happen under Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 25 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or not their fault at all.

Whenever I read your posts, I'm reminded of the statements of the Iraqi Information Minister during the Iraq War.

"There are no American troops in Baghdad!" [said with several advancing American tanks clearly visible in the background].

"There are no problems with the iPhone for which Apple is to blame! None! The detractors are all just using it wrong!"

• Reply 26 of 61
    Both my iPhone4 and iPad Gen2 have problems after the latest iOS6.1 update. iPhone4 suddenly warms up for almost 3hrs before totally drain of bat juice! iPad works for one week after update and suddenly lost 3G with the top corner show "No SIM"! What is going on?
  • Reply 27 of 61
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

A day after updating to the GM build of 6.1, I started getting "No SIM" errors. At first, rebooting the phone fixed this, but yesterday that stopped working so I did a network settings reset. That seemed to do the trick until this morning when it happened again. This time I did a full restore. So far it's acting normal, but it acted normal for hours/days before throwing up the No SIM error, so we'll see.

Didn't see this in any of 6.1's beta builds, so not sure what's going on. Might be something wrong with my phone itself, but the timing is a bit suspect.

• Reply 28 of 61
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Both my iPhone4 and iPad Gen2 have problems after the latest iOS6.1 update. iPhone4 suddenly warms up for almost 3hrs before totally drain of bat juice! iPad works for one week after update and suddenly lost 3G with the top corner show "No SIM"! What is going on?

Just saw your post after commenting. I'm seeing the same error on my 5, so I guess it's not just my phone then.

• Reply 29 of 61
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    I had the battery and the heat problem too after installing 6.1 on my iphone5
    In the same apple community forum the proposed solution was to drop/add Exchange account. That helped. I don't even loose single percent overnight.
  • Reply 30 of 61

damn it... I want Apple to bring back 3.2.2 if i remember correctly..  That was the best...less brain drain version ever.  Since 4.1, battery been killing the phones.  They always add useless features to cause battery to drain even more.

• Reply 31 of 61
    Verizon 5 and 4S. No noticeable issues with battery life. Fully cycled both batteries after installing 6.1
  • Reply 32 of 61
    The problems like those always has existed. So.. not surprising.
  • Reply 33 of 61

Well. Looking forward to 6.1.1.

• Reply 34 of 61
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    [quote name="cycomiko" url="/t/155881/apples-ios-6-1-reportedly-causing-3g-and-battery-issues-for-some-iphone-users#post_2274160"]
    Are they holding it
    Time for something more original, aping is bery passe, this one is getting very stale and boring.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Apple needs to do some serious firing. Every update decreases battery life or some other bs problem. Gone are the days they made sure things worked correctly before releasing. Maybe they need to go back to connecting to iTunes for updates. And not just incremental. Seriously it is ridiculous.

I just updated my airport express last night and what a pain that turned out to be. It would not let me reconnect any devices so I had to do a hard reset on both units and reconfigure.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Another thing that probably kills the battery is that every time you unlock your device it records your gps coordinates. You see your gps turn on for a short while. Also When you are connected to wifi and lock the device it disconnects from wifi and connects to cellular. What, why? It then switches back to wifi when you unlock. Retarded.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

D'oh! Just upgraded to 6.1 yesterday and have already started noticing battery issues (I'm on O2).  Should've looked at the forums first..,

Come on Apple - sort it out!

• Reply 38 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

According to 9to5Ma(c), AOL Corporate has identified one battery-hogging bug in the latest iOS update that has forced them to disable meeting management via iPhones.

AOL’s corporate Enterprise Messaging Operations team has been monitoring a rapidly increasing and unusually large volume of traffic across our enterprise mail environment originating from iOS devices running the new iOS 6.1 update. We have researched this problem and appears to be connected to a recently identified issue that seems to cause these iOS devices to continuously loop while synchronizing a recurring calendar meeting invitation. Similar problems have been reported by a number of sources to several media outlets across the Web in the past few days. While our team continues to work productively and rapidly with Apple and Microsoft to resolve the issue, it has been necessary to temporarily disable the ability to accept or manage calendar meetings using mobile devices to ensure that we maintain the integrity of our corporate enterprise messaging platform. Since this change is limited to managing calendar invitations, by disabling them temporarily we allow our employees to continue to experience the excellent productivity these devices bring to our enterprise until this issue is resolved.

The iOS 6.1 bug causes a “continuous loop” when meetings are attempted to be managed. This leads to a degraded iOS device performance and battery life experience.

• Reply 39 of 61
    I downloaded iOS 6.1 and have been unable to update apps and the general speed of both wifi and 3G is greatly reduced. Can't even open pictures in Facebook without a few minutes waiting.
    The whole iPhone experience, the reason were all so smug next to other phone users had been erased in one update. Not for the first time apple has p*ssed off its customers.
    I've had every model iPhone and I'm due upgrade at the end of feb and was looking forward to the iPhone 5, however I'm not so sure any more.......
  • Reply 40 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by manontheedge View Post

I downloaded iOS 6.1 and have been unable to update apps and the general speed of both wifi and 3G is greatly reduced. Can't even open pictures in Facebook without a few minutes waiting.

The whole iPhone experience, the reason were all so smug next to other phone users had been erased in one update. Not for the first time apple has p*ssed off its customers.

I've had every model iPhone and I'm due upgrade at the end of feb and was looking forward to the iPhone 5, however I'm not so sure any more.......

From the sounds of it, this could be as simple as going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. Or, turn off calendar invitation meetings. 

For once, I have an iPhone that doesn't NEED rebooted daily to stop the strange battery decrease. I still do it regardless. If anything, I think the battery life of my iPhone 5 is slightly better than before.